Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 12:39 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
I see, maybe not necessarily public defenders but considering how unfair it is that a rich person can get a guy with decades of experience over a poor person can is such a load of BS. When two people go in court they should BOTH be only allowed lawyers (one each) that have similar experience.
there are public defenders that have plenty of experience and skill. not all lawyers go into private practice you know.

as for having lawyers with similar experience, what do you propose. that each lawyer detail their experience so that prosecutors can be matched up against defense lawyers? or that if someone is suing someone else, then that someone else can only pick lawyers from an approved list? that is the bull crap. why should a business have to limit themselves to lawyers on a particular list? why cant they use a lawyer they have on retainer for normal business dealings, for when they get sued by someone who can only afford some kid fresh out of law school and on his own for the first time? why does the free market work everywhere but the legal profession?

Quote:
No to both, but I disagree. If I were to go to court I'd rather have highly intelligent people than bob the janitor and sally the waitress deciding my fate.

I don't agree with that at all, your average juror is about as dumb as a box of rocks.
have you ever been on a jury? i have been on several, and they are drawn from all professions, including lawyers and cops here in arizona.

Quote:
But the appellate court is a joke that protects their own like cops. They don't care how many people stupid judges send to prison for inherint bias or racially motivated. Just look at Rodney King, the ONLY reason the officers weren't convicted DESPITE video evidence is because the judge and everyone else on the case were racist nazi scum.
maybe you should study up on cases that go to the appellate court and are sent back to superior court because of reversible error. and there are instances where a reversible error was made, but it was found that it was of no consequence on the final verdict. an instance of that would be where a gun should have been tossed as a result of an illegal search, but the video clearly shows the criminal shooting people, so even if the gun was tossed the video would still convict the criminal. as for the rodney king trial, that was NOT an appellate ruling. and dont forget that four of those officers WERE convicted in federal court later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Lawyers. No win win with them..
But if we had more enforcement of laws, hold people accountable and judges that uphold the law and Constitution as written....

Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,381,706 times
being from Texas, I would have the Texas model put in place in all 50 states.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:45 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Tax payers should be able to decide how their tax dollars are spent.

This is all I care about.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:48 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Not as if they would ever make such changes no matter how common sense it would be since that would make too much sense, but what are some changes you think would make it better? For me:

1. Make it so that NO ONE can higher an expensive or team of lawyers. No matter if it's a homeless person vs. a millionaire, each gets one public defender and that's it, it's insane how we supposedly live in a fair system but the fact is so long as you have money and the person you are against doesn't the facts hardly matter, just who has more money/better lawyers.

2. Make it so that if someone wants to sue someone else, the person suing MUST pay for all the fees for the person they are suing. Now if the person they sued is found to be guilty beyond a reasonable doubt then that person must pay back what the other person owed. The way I see it if frivolous lawsuits had to be paid by the person suing there'd be less frivolous lawsuits.

3. Get rid of the jury system. Most people are simply far too dumb to make good verdicts and don't understand much. Instead have say a very well educated team of 12 people who's sole duty is to decide innocence/guilty.

4. Have someone who's sole job is to make sure the Judge is making a fair and legal ruling and has the power to overrule a judge when a judge clearly steps outside their line.

5. Every judge when they make a ruling has to be approved by a committee who must oversee all the evidence at a trial and when a judge makes a ruling they look at it all as well as the judges' reasons for giving the verdict he/she did and if it seems overly harsh/unreasonable they can veto the judge and make the judge make a sentence that they agree with.
immediately pass a legal version of obamacare..... 'free' legal representation for all! sans low skilled public defenders. top notch lawyers for everyone!!!!!

Old 07-08-2015, 01:10 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there are public defenders that have plenty of experience and skill. not all lawyers go into private practice you know.

as for having lawyers with similar experience, what do you propose. that each lawyer detail their experience so that prosecutors can be matched up against defense lawyers? or that if someone is suing someone else, then that someone else can only pick lawyers from an approved list? that is the bull crap. why should a business have to limit themselves to lawyers on a particular list? why cant they use a lawyer they have on retainer for normal business dealings, for when they get sued by someone who can only afford some kid fresh out of law school and on his own for the first time? why does the free market work everywhere but the legal profession?
I'd propose when any people either sue each other or a criminal trial the court already has people meant to do just that so as soon as they come in they each get one person to help them and neither person has talked/seen the person defending them. People shouldn't be able to have lawyers on retainer I mean really unless you're involved in some shady stuff or plan to commit a crime what reason would there be to always have a lawyer ready?

Quote:
have you ever been on a jury? i have been on several, and they are drawn from all professions, including lawyers and cops here in arizona.
I said no, but I don't care if they come from all professions, most people, including judges are as dumb as a box of rocks and are too stupid to make good decisions.

Quote:
maybe you should study up on cases that go to the appellate court and are sent back to superior court because of reversible error. and there are instances where a reversible error was made, but it was found that it was of no consequence on the final verdict. an instance of that would be where a gun should have been tossed as a result of an illegal search, but the video clearly shows the criminal shooting people, so even if the gun was tossed the video would still convict the criminal. as for the rodney king trial, that was NOT an appellate ruling. and dont forget that four of those officers WERE convicted in federal court later on.
Blah blah, basically the justice system is set up so innocent/poor people get screwed is what you are saying. All this stupid red tape set up just to get justice is set up as to discourage people from taking it further. Sure 3 of the 4 were convicted later on but had we not had some nazi racist scum for judges/jures it never would have needed to get that far in the first place! I really hope those racist scum buckets involved in their trials found the LA Riots were worth it, it's too bad during the riots they didn't break into the home of the judge/jury and anally rape them for being racist scum.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Immediate legalization of cannabis. Drug amnesty. An end to Jim Crow discrimination against cannabis users and reparations for all those convicted of cannabis related offenses. A ban on prison time for drug possession or "under the influence" charges of all drugs, except in cases involving violence and serious injury, or involving minors and illegal immigrants.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:19 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Immediate legalization of cannabis. Drug amnesty. An end to Jim Crow discrimination against cannabis users and reparations for all those convicted of cannabis related offenses. A ban on prison time for drug possession or "under the influence" charges of all drugs, except in cases involving violence and serious injury, or involving minors and illegal immigrants.
I disagree here.

DUIs and such should probably result in harsher punishment than the current system allows. Too many people die in car wrecks, and people who just happen not to cause injury are just lucky. If you give them a slap on the wrist for driving stoned, they're going to keep doing it until they kill someone.

Drug laws themselves are complicated. On the one hand, they're often used in blatantly racist fashion in order to arrest more black people. On the other hand, they're occasionally a very useful way to get scumbags off the streets when there isn't a slam-dunk case without counting the drugs. Many women, for instance, manage to get free of abusive, drug-addicted boyfriends and husbands by having them hauled off for their drug use, which is much easier to prove than domestic violence. A lot of the people currently in jail for drug offenses are really wife beaters who need to be kept away from their victims, and drugs give us a legal reason to keep them away.

Most cops don't care if you use your intoxicants in your own home, as long as you aren't endangering others. They won't go through the trouble of arresting you for it until you step out of line. Then you're in trouble.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Make prosecutorial misconduct a crime.

Overturn Connick v. Thompson, 563 U.S. ___ (2011)

Old 07-08-2015, 02:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
I'd propose when any people either sue each other or a criminal trial the court already has people meant to do just that so as soon as they come in they each get one person to help them and neither person has talked/seen the person defending them. People shouldn't be able to have lawyers on retainer I mean really unless you're involved in some shady stuff or plan to commit a crime what reason would there be to always have a lawyer ready?
there are plenty of reasons to have a lawyer on retainer, especially for businesses. you might not have contact with the legal system much, but business owners do all the time. contracts not being fulfilled, people suing businesses frivolously, etc. why do you want ot restrict someones access to a lawyer when needed? that shows your hypocrisy here. at first you want everyone to have access to lawyers, and then you want to restrict the lawyers people have access to, and you dont want people who need lawyers on a regular basis to have access to a lawyer.

Quote:
I said no, but I don't care if they come from all professions, most people, including judges are as dumb as a box of rocks and are too stupid to make good decisions.
seems you dont have much faith in humanity do you? would you rather have robots on juries? they would deal in cold hard facts, and never be able to discern if someone is telling the truth or not, and thus we may as well just decide that anyone arrested for a crime is guilty and instead of holding a trial just have the judge send them to jail. infact we would not even need a judge, or jury. just some clerk that would ask what they person was arrested for, look up the crime and the sentence afforded by law, and then send them to jail. is that what you want?

Quote:
Blah blah, basically the justice system is set up so innocent/poor people get screwed is what you are saying. All this stupid red tape set up just to get justice is set up as to discourage people from taking it further. Sure 3 of the 4 were convicted later on but had we not had some nazi racist scum for judges/jures it never would have needed to get that far in the first place! I really hope those racist scum buckets involved in their trials found the LA Riots were worth it, it's too bad during the riots they didn't break into the home of the judge/jury and anally rape them for being racist scum.
you have to remember that lady justice is blind. and that the wheels of justice move slowly. you may hate the officers involved in that case, but the fact is that 12 people heard the evidence, YOU DID NOT. you only heard the evidence that the news media WANTED you to hear and see. thus YOU CANNOT make a proper judgement of the officers in question, BECAUSE YOU DID NOT SIT ON THAT JURY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Make prosecutorial misconduct a crime.

Overturn Connick v. Thompson, 563 U.S. ___ (2011)
now that i agree with. prosecutors that do these things should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and well as be sued by the people whose cases are affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies