Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times

Advertisements

I don't think government buildings in the US should fly a Mexican flag (with the exception of an event where a Mexican politician is making an appearance). That's also my view on the confederate flag, and the gay pride flag, which also has an active thread with this same discussion happening. And that's about as much as I'm willing to care about a symbolic piece of fabric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I did not realize you were referring to something that happened 169 years ago.
And yet leftists have their panties in a wad concerning a flag involving something that ended 150 years ago...

Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Does the Mexican flag hang from a state building?

No one is precluded from hanging the Confederate flag from their private residence, car or person, no different than any other flag.
Agreed. With that said, people do "attack" the Mexican flag when they see it a) at protests on US soil (especially when related to immigration), b) above the US flag, and c) when people in this country show an allegiance to the nation it represents over the US.

[i'm sure the issue has been discussed in the Illegal Immigration sub-forum]

Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Does Amazon and Walmart sell the Mexican flag? Was Speedy Gonzales pulled from TV?
Private corporations were not directed to pull the Confederate flag or anything to it. They did it voluntarily - call their complaint hotlines and file a protest.

[personally, I think they overreacted]

Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:
And yet leftists have their panties in a wad concerning a flag involving something that ended 150 years ago...
they just want something for free, i bet within ten days they be talking about reparations.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
the mexican flag flying in america has become a symbol of illegal immigration

the confederate flag has become a negative symbol for many of racism
both of these i understand

what i do not understand is why flying the american flag is seen by so many as a symbol of racism against latinos.
so many of our soldiers are latino.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Correct

The Mexican-American War was the first American military conflict fought entirely on foreign soil.

Americans were using Manifest destiny as an expansion tool and they claimed Texas...but it belonged to Mexico.
Mexico wanted American settlers in Texas to help solve their "Comanche Problem".

Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,139 times
Quote:
It's a pretty obvious question. We have had a great number of American citizens slaughtered by criminal aliens, who are obviously motivated by the Mexican flag. And we defeated Mexican invaders in a war, much like the confederacy. So, why isn't there the same level of outrage when the flag of a one-time enemy of this country, and one that symbolizes so much corruption, as well as loyalty to a foreign country, is flown in this country? Those that fly the Mexican flag are far more "traitors" to this country than those that fly the "confederate" flag.

What's the story left-wing? Do you save your outrage and hate for your fellow citizens?
We do it so you will cry and whine, and it worked!

Old 07-10-2015, 02:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Does Amazon and Walmart sell the Mexican flag? Was Speedy Gonzales pulled from TV?

LOL!

WTF?!

Old 07-10-2015, 06:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Private corporations were not directed to pull the Confederate flag or anything to it. They did it voluntarily - call their complaint hotlines and file a protest.

[personally, I think they overreacted]

The economic conservatives will betray the social conservatives every time their money is threatened. The greatest force for social change in this country is capitalism, the social conservatives should be hep to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies