Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Another local news outlet concludes that it's not entirely clear what their intentions are judging from only the wording, “In fact, [the committee] recommends we abandon the term ‘single family zone.’ ”

From KIRO RADIO, 710 ESPN SEATTLE, AM 770 KTTH:
_"Is Seattle doing away with single-family homes?"_
Is Seattle doing away with single-family homes? - Dori Monson | MyNorthwest.com

It's a fair question to ask.
And replace it with the term “lower density residential zone” which would include single family homes....not sure why you are struggling to grasp this one, it states it in your own link....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It would required private landowners to decide what gets built on their property. In most cases, this will mean ADUs, and in some cases will mean duplex and triplex, but that would be up to that landowner to ultimately decide.

Much of what Seattle would see from this is a growth of ADUs, not really something to freak out about, especially if you don't live in Seattle or don't have any investment in Seattle.
Oh stahp.

This whole housing task force is completely and totally about social and racial justice.

And again, I'm not freaking out. Just reinforcing my future plans of never moving to Seattle.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You don't know what the rent will be for a subdivide multi-family rental dump. The hooligans only have to pay a couple hundred a month and HUD (tax payers) pays the rest!
So what you are saying is that you have no clue how much rents are in Seattle.....or you are just being obtuse for the fun of it.....either way, I don't buy your statements, but thanks for the laugh.

But if you are actually suggesting that someone is going to spend the money to build an ADU just to rent it out to someone for a couple hundred a month, then this is good news for renters in Seattle because that would mean the people building these ADUs are too stupid to realize that they could easily get $150 a night on AirBNB with an ADU, which means the month rate should be around $1500-2000. Obviously we both know this isn't true because I imagine people in Seattle who own property are much smarter than that.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Oh stahp.

This whole housing task force is completely and totally about social and racial justice.

And again, I'm not freaking out. Just reinforcing my future plans of never moving to Seattle.
Social and racial justice? So building something in your backyard for extra income is now about social and racial justice? That's a stretch if I ever heard one.....and last time I checked, no one cared if you ever planned to move to Seattle....you probably couldn't afford to buy there anyway, but at least now you would have the chance to rent an ADU there because mtl1 seems to think they will be renting for a couple hundred a month.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:12 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,870,334 times
Quote:
So what you are saying is that you have no clue how much rents are in Seattle.....or you are just being obtuse for the fun of it.....either way, I don't buy your statements, but thanks for the laugh.
YOU don't know what HUD rentals will rent for.

Quote:
But if you are actually suggesting that someone is going to spend the money to build an ADU just to rent it out to someone for a couple hundred a month
I didn't say anything of the kind. I said when they force the zoning of multi-family housing, HUD will fill them with hooligans who may only have to pay as little as a couple hundred a month while HUD (tax payers) pay the rest. This happens all the time. The government will even use tax money to pay for building the multi-family housing.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Social and racial justice? So building something in your backyard for extra income is now about social and racial justice? That's a stretch if I ever heard one.....and last time I checked, no one cared if you ever planned to move to Seattle....you probably couldn't afford to buy there anyway, but at least now you would have the chance to rent an ADU there because mtl1 seems to think they will be renting for a couple hundred a month.
Yes, social and racial justice.

I'd urge you to read the article as well as the attached draft letter and recommendations written by the committee.

I'll wait.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:13 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,977,676 times
Quote:
And replace it with the term “lower density residential zone” which would include single family homes....not sure why you are struggling to grasp this one, it states it in your own link....
KIRO Radio is asking it. I guess you just can't trust mainstream media, can you?

After all, you're only assuming the committee plans to, in your words, "include single family homes." That was nowhere in the recommendations.

It's a fair question to ask.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:34 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Low crime due to concentrated police presence.
Just because you increase the density in an urban area doesn't automatically mean you turn it into a crime infested ghetto. It's all in how you do it.
There's no worry about this policy turning Seattle into a crime infested ghetto, since it is already there. I moved out of Seattle 15 years ago after being a crime victim one to many times. The last one was a felony case, and I had the perp's name and evidence against him. I took maybe 6 trips downtown to various agencies--police, city attorney, ombudsman, victim's assistance, etc. to no avail. Finally when I wrote letters to the Mayor and Chief of Police threatening to peddle my story to media, I got some action. The perp was eventually convicted of a felony.

SPD has a tolerance policy towards criminality.

A Seattle Times columnist had his car broken into and used a 'find my iphone' ap to track down the thieves. Police declined to respond.

Police allow car break-ins to become a Seattle growth industry | The Seattle Times

A woman was groped by a sex offender in Westlake, Seattle. Police blew her off when she reported it. She had to use social media and publicity in order to get some justice.
Woman uses social media to shame accused Seattle groper | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

SPD is a revenue agency, not a crime-fighting agency.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
YOU don't know what HUD rentals will rent for.

I didn't say anything of the kind. I said when they force the zoning of multi-family housing, HUD will fill them with hooligans who may only have to pay as little as a couple hundred a month while HUD (tax payers) pay the rest. This happens all the time. The government will even use tax money to pay for building the multi-family housing.
So you have zero clue what the rents in Seattle look like or you have some false notion that the government will be building low income housing in people's backyards...

Old 07-09-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Yes, social and racial justice.

I'd urge you to read the article as well as the attached draft letter and recommendations written by the committee.

I'll wait.

Yep, already read it when I first commented on this thread....I have been hearing news about this for a bit now, I tend to follow these things....and all it sounds like that will come out of this is a loose definition of low density which will give homeowners the chance to build rental units on their property if they like. Not sure what you think is going to happen, but whatever it is, I can bet you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies