Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:21 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct. I disagree with you.

PS: I have no issue with flags flown from nations never at war against our flag.
Then, you're pro-censorship - no matter how you slice it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:25 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Anything other than government buildings should be up to the owner if they choose to fly any flag or not.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:28 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Anything other than government buildings should be up to the owner if they choose to fly any flag or not.
Sort of how I explained it before.

There is another practical application to this. It doesn't make to fly the flag of a nation that does not exist on state and federal buildings. It is representing a place that no longer exist. One wants to fly something that represent one's state and one's country, not a place that no longer exists.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Wow, I've never seen such jubilation at a solemn flag lowering ceremony. A sad but fitting end to the state gov'ts endorsement of that flag.
I don't see any reason to gloat, since I have seen bigger turnouts at a Carnival. You got a handful of flag haters, and a handful of cheering, and these folks want to act as if half the Planet turned out to support them, instead of just sheeple. That's funny.

Its one flag, one flag pole and has changed nothing. End of story....

Old 07-11-2015, 08:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
I don't see any reason to gloat, since I have seen bigger turnouts at a Carnival. You got a handful of flag haters, and a handful of cheering, and these folks want to act as if half the Planet turned out to support them, instead of just sheeple. That's funny.

Its one flag, one flag pole and has changed nothing. End of story....
It's always been that way about the flag here in SC. A handful that are vocal in support and a handful that are vocal in opposition. They've bandied it about a bit but it has generally been a non-issue in the list of priorities for most South Carolinians, black and white. I don't care about the flag whatsoever - never did. It has already brought out too many lunatics and armchair experts of late and that is something I am definitely tired of.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:25 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
It only took 50 odd years for South Carolina conservatives to agree to take the flag down. In another 100 or so years, they will finally come around to accepting the results of the 2008 elections

Old 07-11-2015, 09:56 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday4now View Post
Its a hollow victory, first off I have never seen so many Confederate flags up around the country. Most blacks live in poverty and don't care if some flag is up on the lawn of the SC state house. I drove from Florida to KC this week and can tell you the flags were flying. I felt so strong about it I stopped into a local ink shop and put a nice waving confederate battle flag on my arm, bright blue and red tattoo. Its a kind of GFY to the liberals who will tell a cake maker they have to bake a cake for two rump rangers but tell me I can not own an AR15 or have a confederate battle flag. You liberals are going to hit a brick wall on this one.
1) Prove that most Blacks live in poverty.
2) Prove that most Blacks don't care.

Better yet, I can prove the opposite.

The Black poverty rate in America is 27 percent. That leaves the majority of the Black population ABOVE poverty level. Poverty | State of Working America

And according to these polls below, as well as an article from a South Carolina paper,
Poll: Majority sees Confederate flag as Southern pride - CNNPolitics.com
http://www.thestate.com/news/politic...e13917458.html
Inside the battle over the Confederate flag - CNNPolitics.com

a majority of Blacks do not like the flag and want to see it taken down.

If you felt so strong about liberal, the Gadsden Flag would have made a better statement.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:36 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Wow, thunderous applause. I love the chant of U.S.A.! U.S.A.! that broke out as it was coming down. Very appropriate use of that chant.

And they treated the flag with the utmost respect--more than it deserved, IMO--but still, they gave the confederate lovers nothing to complain about in that respect.

Good day in South Carolina.
Now on to Mississippi and Florida ....

Get rid of the flags and Racism goes away forever ... Right?

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You can bet most of the celebrants had no concern for the flag until the media force fed it to them.
People are nuts.
I don't think that's true.
I've known a lady for some time who's a proud native S. Carolinian. She was once a county coroner and is a criminologist, and she has wanted the flag to come down for as long as I've known her- well over a decade now.
She isn't alone, either. I have other friends who are Georgians, Mississippians, and others throughout the south who all feel the same. Their reasons differ, and none want to deny the past, but feel no need to perpetuate the southern stereotypes that have risen with the flag as a center point for the stereotyping.

All of them say one thing in different ways- the south has changed from what it was in the 60s. They all have felt it is past time to put the Civil war to rest in the past, where it belongs, for decades, sometimes all their lives. 50 years is a long time, after all. There are 3 generations who weren't around during the violence of the civil rights movement, and a lot of people who grew up never seeing the segregation their parents and grandparents experienced.

The fact is the south is full of people of good will, good conscience, and take deep pride of place in the south as it is now, not the south of 50 or 100 years ago.

There's always comes a time when enough is enough. The church shooting was the tipping point. It brought back all the memories of the savagery of a half century ago, and southerners of all colors and beliefs do not want a return, nor a repeat, of those times.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:17 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
2) Prove that most Blacks don't care.

a majority of Blacks do not like the flag and want to see it taken down.

If you felt so strong about liberal, the Gadsden Flag would have made a better statement.

I live in the South & MOST blacks here could care less about the flag. The ones I know & work with think this is a white guilt thing of sorts. Despite what CNN & the rest of the media WANTS you to think it's just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies