Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Democrat Party Publicly Apologize for their History on Race?
Yes 66 61.11%
No 34 31.48%
Undecided 1 0.93%
Don't care/not sure/Other 7 6.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:26 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,528,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
As pointed out in another thread, the Democrat Party as an institution has an abhorrent and reprehensible track record on civil rights. The track record hasn't gotten much better recently.

The Democrat Party was instrumental in defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws, and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As part of that opposition, numerous Democrats in the South put the Confederate Flag on governmental property. President Bill Clinton signed legislation that did exactly that when he was governor of Arkansas.

The Democrat Party also, as recently as ten years ago, had a former Klansman in the party's Senate leadership. His name was Robert Byrd, from West Virginia.

Presently, the party has just a single African American U.S. Senator out of 46. That means that just over 2% of the Democrat Party's Senate contingent is black even though blacks make up a far larger portion of the Democrat Party.

During political campaigns, the Democrat Party intentionally instigates racial divisions as a means of turning out African Americans to vote for them. They do this by falsely attacking the motives of their political opponents.

Finally, and most damningly, the Democrat Party has ruled over most of the nations urban hellholes like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago. The conditions of urban black Americans have worsened dramatically under Democrat rule as black communities in large cities are subject to some of the worst economic conditions in the country, not to mention the unacceptably and tragically high rates of violent crime.

Should the Democrat Party make a public apology to African Americans for their atrocious record on race issues? I say yes, make the apology and start the healing process.
The Democrat part should commit Seppuku en masse to atone for their truly dreadful history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So it's your contention that blacks are too stupid to think for themselves? And then you wonder why they reject your party like the plague.
No, that is not my contention. Some black people get it. Like these good people:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fdTihf2_GGM

Old 07-10-2015, 03:29 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

Should the Democrat Party make a public apology to African Americans for their atrocious record on race issues? I say yes, make the apology and start the healing process.
Are you advocating reparations?

[]

Old 07-10-2015, 03:32 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,673 times
Should the Democrat Party Make a Public Apology to African Americans for Its Historic Role in Oppressing Blacks?

No.

Should the GOP make a public apology for failing history?

Great Switch started in 1896.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:32 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Are you advocating reparations?

[]
Frankly, the Democrat Party and its donors should pay reparations to black people for what they've done to blacks over the years.

It's not like they don't have the money.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:35 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Frankly, the Democrat Party and its donors should pay reparations to black people for what they've done to blacks over the years.

If the Democrat Party changed their name to [insert new name here] Party, would they be able to avoid paying reparations?

[]

Old 07-10-2015, 04:00 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
i say no because they nobody today in the party had anything to do with it and there nobody alive today that had any effect on them.

its like the church telling me, I have to pray for my sins, no i dont, i didnt have anything to do with it.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:23 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Will the Republicans apologize to African Americans for abandoning them to reconstructed confederates in 1877?

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
Quote:

There it goes, I said in apost couple days ago, it not about the flag, it not about slavery. It's all about money, somebody that didn't have anything to do with it wanting money

It not dukes of hazards flag, it we want money, we hate white cops and demand money oe we burn the south down again

That all it's ever about, money

Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As I responded to you in that other thread, I will apologize for the Democratic party for once being the home of right wing social conservatives, the ones who were responsible for defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And the ones who put up the Confederate flag over SC in the '60s when liberals like LBJ were pushing the Civil Rights Act through. (It certainly wasn't liberals who were opposing the Civil Rights Act, unless you think Kennedy and LBJ were social conservatives.)

Happily for the Democratic party, that was long ago and those rightwing conservatives are long gone from the party.

So, I apologized for the social conservatives who were once a part of the Democratic party. Will you apologize for the current Republican party giving a home to those same people today?
This is historically inaccurate.

The Democratic segregationists of the 50's/60's were liberals, in the sense of being pro-big-government and pro-tax-and-spend. The signatories to the Southern Manifesto (statement in favor of racial segregation) were overwhelmingly liberals. They were New Dealers. Robert Byrd did not magically overnight become an advocate of pork spending after he left the KKK. He was a pork-aholic from his early days. William Fulbright, signatory to the Southern Manifesto, had as his claim to fame support of federal subsidies to higher ed, and what liberal would not orgasm over that? Sam Ervin, also a signatory to the Southern Manifesto was a huge liberal hero for his role in the Watergate hearings that brought down Pres. Nixon. John Sparkman, another signatory, was the liberal Democratic nominee Adlai Stevenson's choice as VP in 1952.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies