Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the Democrat Party Publicly Apologize for their History on Race?
Yes 66 61.11%
No 34 31.48%
Undecided 1 0.93%
Don't care/not sure/Other 7 6.48%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:51 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

As pointed out in another thread, the Democrat Party as an institution has an abhorrent and reprehensible track record on civil rights. The track record hasn't gotten much better recently.

The Democrat Party was instrumental in defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws, and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As part of that opposition, numerous Democrats in the South put the Confederate Flag on governmental property. President Bill Clinton signed legislation that did exactly that when he was governor of Arkansas.

The Democrat Party also, as recently as ten years ago, had a former Klansman in the party's Senate leadership. His name was Robert Byrd, from West Virginia.

Presently, the party has just a single African American U.S. Senator out of 46. That means that just over 2% of the Democrat Party's Senate contingent is black even though blacks make up a far larger portion of the Democrat Party.

During political campaigns, the Democrat Party intentionally instigates racial divisions as a means of turning out African Americans to vote for them. They do this by falsely attacking the motives of their political opponents.

Finally, and most damningly, the Democrat Party has ruled over most of the nations urban hellholes like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago. The conditions of urban black Americans have worsened dramatically under Democrat rule as black communities in large cities are subject to some of the worst economic conditions in the country, not to mention the unacceptably and tragically high rates of violent crime.

Should the Democrat Party make a public apology to African Americans for their atrocious record on race issues? I say yes, make the apology and start the healing process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
As pointed out in another thread, the Democrat Party as an institution has an abhorrent and reprehensible track record on civil rights. The track record hasn't gotten much better recently.

The Democrat Party was instrumental in defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws, and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. As part of that opposition, numerous Democrats in the South put the Confederate Flag on governmental property. President Bill Clinton signed legislation that did exactly that when he was governor of Arkansas.

The Democrat Party also, as recently as ten years ago, had a former Klansman in the party's Senate leadership. His name was Robert Byrd, from West Virginia.

Presently, the party has just a single African American U.S. Senator out of 46. That means that just over 2% of the Democrat Party's Senate contingent is black even though blacks make up a far larger portion of the Democrat Party.

During political campaigns, the Democrat Party intentionally instigates racial divisions as a means of turning out African Americans to vote for them. They do this by falsely attacking the motives of their political opponents.

Finally, and most damningly, the Democrat Party has ruled over most of the nations urban hellholes like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago. The conditions of urban black Americans have worsened dramatically under Democrat rule as black communities in large cities are subject to some of the worst economic conditions in the country, not to mention the unacceptably and tragically high rates of violent crime.

Should the Democrat Party make a public apology to African Americans for their atrocious record on race issues? I say yes, make the apology and start the healing process.
As I responded to you in that other thread, I will apologize for the Democratic party for once being the home of right wing social conservatives, the ones who were responsible for defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And the ones who put up the Confederate flag over SC in the '60s when liberals like LBJ were pushing the Civil Rights Act through. (It certainly wasn't liberals who were opposing the Civil Rights Act, unless you think Kennedy and LBJ were social conservatives.)

Happily for the Democratic party, that was long ago and those rightwing conservatives are long gone from the party.

So, I apologized for the social conservatives who were once a part of the Democratic party. Will you apologize for the current Republican party giving a home to those same people today?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:00 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As I responded to you in that other thread, I will apologize for the Democratic party for once being the home of right wing social conservatives, the ones who were responsible for defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964. And the ones who put up the Confederate flag over SC in the '60s when liberals like LBJ were pushing the Civil Rights Act through. (It certainly wasn't liberals who were opposing the Civil Rights Act.)

Happily for the Democratic party, that was long ago and those rightwing conservatives are long gone from the party.

So, I apologized for the social conservatives who were once a part of the Democratic party. Will you apologize for the current Republican party giving a home to those same people today?
I am talking about historical facts. Your deflections and imagination about Democrat racists all turning into Republicans are not facts. They are part of the propaganda campaign used by Democrats to keep blacks voting Democrat and silent about the failure of Democrats to do ANYTHING meaningful to improve the quality of life for black Americans.

I don't accept your premise. It is a straw man.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:06 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,870,511 times
Quote:
I am talking about historical facts. Your deflections and imagination about Democrat racists all turning into Republicans is not a fact. It is part of the propaganda campaign used by Democrats to keep blacks voting Democrat and silent about the failure of Democrats to do ANYTHING meaningful to improve the quality of life for black Americans.

I'm talking about historical facts, too. Social conservatives have always been the ones who opposed the Civil Rights Act and supported Jim Crow. They are the same people who today oppose removal of the Confederate flag--or is it your contention that it's liberals who are fighting to keep it? Is that seriously what you are saying?

The only propaganda here is the right trying to distance themselves from the constituency that makes up the very core of today's Republican party, social conservatives. Who have found a nice, cozy home within the GOP and remain there today.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:08 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
I am talking about historical facts. Your deflections and imagination about Democrat racists all turning into Republicans are not facts. They are part of the propaganda campaign used by Democrats to keep blacks voting Democrat and silent about the failure of Democrats to do ANYTHING meaningful to improve the quality of life for black Americans.

The pot calls the kettle. Op straw man topic

Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 PM

549 posts, read 625,575 times
Those were conservative "Dixiecrats"...who have now abandoned the Democratic Party and are today's GOP base.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Lol...you right wing types never give up, do you?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:10 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
The Democrat Party was instrumental in defending slavery, instituting Jim Crow laws, and opposing the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Here we go again...

Throughout the history of the Democratic Party, there has been a split between northern Democrats and Southern Democrats.

Prior to the Civil War there were slave owning Democrats and there were Abolitionist Democrats.

In the election of 1860, the Democratic Party split in two. The southern Democrats formed the Southern Democratic party and nominated John C. Breckinridge. The northern Democrats nominate Stephen Douglas.

In 1948, the southern Democrats once again split from the Democratic Party and formed the Dixicrats who nominated Strom Thurman for president because of President Harry Truman's integration of the armed forces and the establishment of a civil rights commission. In 1964 Thurman would join the Republican Party.

Now on to the Civil Rights Act. Contrary to your comment, the Democratic Party again split between north and south with northern Democrats out voting even Republicans in favor of the Civil Rights Act. Further, even in the south, Democrats out voted Republicans in favor of the Civil Rights Act.

Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s? | Harry J Enten | Comment is free | The Guardian

So which part of the Democratic Party should do the apologizing?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Political parties change over time.

The Republican Party of 1900 is not the same as the Republican Party of 2000.

The Democratic Party has changed as well.

There is no reason for a political party to apologize for its past.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:14 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I think the Dems should apologize for their roles in slavery, Jim Crow, and racial preferences today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies