Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 03:44 PM

23,625 posts, read 18,749,452 times

Advertisements

Does anybody still read this rag? I think an all out boycott is in order.

This has got to me the lowest they have gone:

NY Times Leaves Ted Cruz's Book Off Best-Seller List

Doesn't meet their "criteria"? Care to explain that???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 03:54 PM

57,323 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Probably because it's not a best seller???

Great paper, in depth articles and investigating what's your favorite paper?

Old 07-10-2015, 03:57 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

From Margaret Sullivan:

Quote:
Readers were also curious or upset about a Politico article headlined “New York Times Keeps Cruz Off Bestseller List.” Sales of the book, “A Time for Truth,” by Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican presidential candidate, were largely driven by “strategic bulk purchases,” which do not weigh heavily in The Times’s calculation of what constitutes a best-seller, according to The Times’s spokeswoman Eileen Murphy.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:41 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
There is nothing free about the speech of the New York Times, ya gotta pay for it.

(...One day reactionaries proclaim that property rights and the 1st Amendment trump Civil Rights, the next day they argue that a privately owned newspaper can't decide what it wants to print and what it doesn't. )

Old 07-10-2015, 04:43 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:

The NYT ceased being a responsible news source long ago. They are now little more than a left wing blog. Much line BSNBC and CNN. No intelligent person reads/watches them.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:53 PM

674 posts, read 611,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
From Margaret Sullivan:

Buying your own book (or orchestrating mass purchases of your own political party's books in order to get free advertising in the New York Times) is about as ethical as writing your own reviews on Amazon. Complaining when it doesn't work is like getting upset that the Times wouldn't publish the review you wrote of your own book.

It was an interesting tactic, though, and it's good of the Times to put its foot down to try to stop manipulation of the bestseller lists, since those lists actually do carry quite a bit of weight.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:55 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,484,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The NYT ceased being a responsible news source long ago. They are now little more than a left wing blog. Much line BSNBC and CNN. No intelligent person reads/watches them.
Logically, then, anything they produce such as their Best-Seller List, is irrelevant. Thus, the OP is either outraged by a rag he doesn't read or you just insulted him.

With that said, the NYT is not suppressing free speech. It simply won't put Cruz' book on the list. The NYT is not the government, it's a private entity. They can apply whatever rules it wants. Besides, if one really wants to read the book, then they will read it whether it is on the list or not. It is readily available.

[it's just a list]

Old 07-10-2015, 05:03 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,716,244 times
Quote:

How is this suppressing free speech?
The book is available for purchase.
Being excluded from this list does not preclude it being sold to the public.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:10 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,981,910 times
Nobody who cares about truth, or the accelerated downward turn of domestic society, should be subscribing to NYT, in broadsheet or in digital format. In the past year, the top page has gone full gender bender something-or-other in the right margin every single day of the year. In its comments sections, it censors conservative voices like the Iron Curtain did by preventing them from ever seeing print (what is the left apprehensive about? Predictably: truth.).

It even 100%-censors high profile hard news--any 10th Amendment narrative it can't warp. The New York Times printed not a single word on the Bundy rangeland escalation as it grew to over 1000 participants, even through the climactic stand-down of BLM. Its eventual first words to print in concessionary acknowledgement of its existence--Pravda-like with a grudging, petulant Timothy Egan piece--was a full 6 days after the BLM walked away.

It's a globalist organ designed for debasement of humanity.

Last edited by mm4; 07-10-2015 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 05:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,637,941 times
How is leaving a book off a bestseller list because the NYT decided some party was artificially inflating the sales numbers suppressing free speech?

When I saw the thread title I figured the complaint was something dumb and irrelevant to free speech like moderating the comments sections on their articles or firing an employee for saying something that embarrassed the company on social media. Congratulations for surpassing my expectations coming up with a complaint that's even dumber and more irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies