Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 08:05 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixi9_cciy8w

BUSH: Look, I'd like to see something done about the illegal alien problem that would be so sensitive and so understanding about labor needs and human needs that that problem wouldn't come up. But today, if those people are here, I would reluctantly say I think they would get whatever it is [that] society is giving to their neighbors. But it has— the problem has to be solved. The problem has to be solved. Because as we have kind of made illegal some kinds of labor that I'd like to see legal, we're doing two things, we're creating a whole society of really honorable, decent, family-loving people that are in violation of the law, and secondly we’re exacerbating relations with Mexico.

REAGAN: Could I add to that? I think the time has come that the United States, and our neighbors, particularly our neighbor to the south, should have a better understanding and a better relationship than we've ever had. And I think that we haven't been sensitive enough to our size and our power. They have a problem of 40 to 50 percent unemployment. Now this cannot continue without the possibility arising—with regard to that other country that we talked about, of Cuba and what it is stirring up—of the possibility of trouble below the border. And we could have a very hostile and strange neighbor on our border.

Rather than talking about putting up a fence, why don't we work out some recognition of our mutual problems? Make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit, and then, while they're working and earning here, they'd pay taxes here. And when they want to go back, they can go back. They can cross. Open the borders both ways.

I never in a thousand years thought I would ever say that I miss conservatives like Ronald Reagan....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:12 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

I never in a thousand years thought I would ever say that I miss conservatives like Ronald Reagan....
Today's GOP would never consider Reagan as a viable candidate.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
In 1982, SCOTUS struck down Texas legislation to charge tuition to educate the children of illegal immigrants.

Illegal immigration from Mexico became a tidal wave in the 80's.

Doing nothing for 30+ years was no accident. It did not matter who sat the oval or held the majority.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:21 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post

BUSH: Look, I'd like to see something done about the illegal alien problem that would be so sensitive and so understanding about labor needs and human needs that that problem wouldn't come up. But today, if those people are here, I would reluctantly say I think they would get whatever it is [that] society is giving to their neighbors. But it has— the problem has to be solved. The problem has to be solved. Because as we have kind of made illegal some kinds of labor that I'd like to see legal, we're doing two things, we're creating a whole society of really honorable, decent, family-loving people that are in violation of the law, and secondly we’re exacerbating relations with Mexico.

REAGAN: Could I add to that? I think the time has come that the United States, and our neighbors, particularly our neighbor to the south, should have a better understanding and a better relationship than we've ever had. And I think that we haven't been sensitive enough to our size and our power. They have a problem of 40 to 50 percent unemployment. Now this cannot continue without the possibility arising—with regard to that other country that we talked about, of Cuba and what it is stirring up—of the possibility of trouble below the border. And we could have a very hostile and strange neighbor on our border.

Rather than talking about putting up a fence, why don't we work out some recognition of our mutual problems? Make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit, and then, while they're working and earning here, they'd pay taxes here. And when they want to go back, they can go back. They can cross. Open the borders both ways.

What you have to remember is Reagan's mentor was Goldwater but what Reagan learned from 64 was you could not win an election without the social conservatives.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
His line of thinking was regarding not allowing the communist to gain a foothold in Mexico, as have happened in numerous other countries with high poverty rates. He did not care about Mexicans nor Mexico, all he cared about was the one tracked minded "stop communism", even if that meant backing brutal dictators.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
His line of thinking was regarding not allowing the communist to gain a foothold in Mexico, as have happened in numerous other countries with high poverty rates. He did not care about Mexicans nor Mexico, all he cared about was the one tracked minded "stop communism", even if that meant backing brutal dictators.

We should take that same mindset now and back ruthless dictators over the fundies in the ME. Kinda past time to realize Western style democracy don't work in most of the ME.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 PM

21,096 posts, read 19,703,590 times
If you think today's conservatives are the only ones against illegal immigration:

U.S. deportations of immigrants reach record high in 2013 | Pew Research Center

Old 07-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We should take that same mindset now and back ruthless dictators over the fundies in the ME. Kinda past time to realize Western style democracy don't work in most of the ME.
We should let the people in those countries decide what they want, not the US; this policy of selecting and backing hated leaders has been a source of blow back against the US, despite the logic fail in a lot of the blow back (Iran for example).

Old 07-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If you think today's conservatives are the only ones against illegal immigration:

U.S. deportations of immigrants reach record high in 2013 | Pew Research Center
Any one use those numbers and compare it to the numbers of illegals by year? As in did the rate of deportations as a percentage of illegal immigrants in the country increase or just absolute numbers?

Edit: For example, just quickly looking at two charts, it shows for 2013 3.5% of the illegal immigrant population was deported, whereas in 2001, 2.4% of the illegal immigrant population was deported. But in absolute numbers, 2013 saw over two times the amount of deportations over 2001, even though is was a 1% increase relative to the illegal immigrant population.

Last edited by boxus; 07-10-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Today's GOP would never consider Reagan as a viable candidate.
Thats true but I think he still fits part of the criteria. He had screwed up budgets like all the other Republicans right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies