Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times

Advertisements

10,000 People Sign a Petition to make "Cracker Barrel" Change Their Name to Something Hilarious ⋆ Dc Gazette

Well, I'm pasty White and the Word "Cracker" has never offended me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
As white people, we are not allowed to be offended.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:33 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I don't know if this site is real or satire as I've never heard of it, but this statement is strange:

I say all of us European Americans start protesting C****er Barrel. It uses an offensive slur and it is deeply offensive and mocks our long and proud heritage.

What do European Americans have to do with this? I would think southern Americans would be offended by the name 'cracker' as that is who the word refers to, but it has nothing to do with European Americans and I don't know why they would care.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:36 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,976,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't know if this site is real or satire as I've never heard of it, but this statement is strange:

I say all of us European Americans start protesting C****er Barrel. It uses an offensive slur and it is deeply offensive and mocks our long and proud heritage.

What do European Americans have to do with this? I would think southern Americans would be offended by the name 'cracker' as that is who the word refers to, but it has nothing to do with European Americans and I don't know why they would care.
You must not be familiar with the northeast, where it's endemic among local blacks to refer to caucasians they have conflicts with as "cracker." And it's like, what does that even mean? But then again they also angrily call whites "nigg*r" too.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:37 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Actually, the most offensive word to a Southerner is "Yankee". In the UK they call all Americans "yankees". I tried to explain how offensive that is to about half of the USA but they didn't understand. So I vote for outlawing the "Y" word.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:07 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
In the UK they call all Americans "yankees". So I vote for outlawing the "Y" word.
Who cares what the "Limeys" call us?
We gave 'em the boot twice, and saved 'em from the "Jerrys" twice.......

If the current PC trend of hyper sensitivity to everything continues, in a few years nobody will be able to utter more than two or three words without offending someone, somewhere, about something.......So I vote for everyone to just keep their mouths shut, forevermore.

As for the eatery in question, maybe wussy barrel would work, if they actually bow to such silliness.......

CN.......

Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
The fact that Americans have decided they are going to be offended by literally everything is what really offends me because the stupid grievances crowd out the legitimate grievances.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:17 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post

Well, I'm pasty White and the Word "Cracker" has never offended me.
You don't understand the PC program. Whites are oppressed by this legacy and historical context. Someone long dead was offended by this slur so you need to get with the program and demand change before someone else gets hurt!

/sarc

Old 07-11-2015, 09:36 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Growing up as a White minority in a Black majority community, I can honestly say that the word 'cracker', if not offensive per se, was certainly fear inspiring since it was generally only spoken in my direction by people with the intention of creating conflict with me based simply on my physical appearance.

In other words, I heard it right before getting jumped.

That said, good grief. Renaming Cracker Barrel because of the word 'Cracker' is asinine. Everyone needs to become less sensitive so we, as a society, can discover and uproot what is really causing racial tensions. You know, like discrimination based upon acts between one person and another. Not words and symbols which mature people should be able to self-police rather than relying on regulations on what should be free speech.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You must not be familiar with the northeast, where it's endemic among local blacks to refer to caucasians they have conflicts with as "cracker." And it's like, what does that even mean? But then again they also angrily call whites "nigg*r" too.
I lived in the northeast, including NYC, for half my life, and I never heard a black person call a white person 'cracker' anywhere ever. In fact, I never even heard of a 'cracker' until I lived in Fla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies