Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:17 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,110,364 times

Advertisements

Good to see Memphis focusing on what counts and not trivial things such as it's murder rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 01:30 PM

29,198 posts, read 22,263,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It didn't bother the man as a child because he didn't know better. It was the same with me. I moved to Georgia as a child during the 90s. I knew nothing about the state flag during that time. We covered the Civll War in school, but I didn't pay attention. It started bothering me as a teenager the more I learned and paid attention.

It's the classic case of "ignorance is bliss". It was blissful to not think of these things when you're a kid because you don't know better. When you start learning about history, and about what was done to people, it brings alot of unhappiness with it. Now, one could say "well, being ignorant makes one happy". All it shows is that the world can be a hard, cold place.

The reason time doesn't heal wounds because with time, many people hold on to the same mentality and way of clinging to a lost cause like Confederate secession.
Some folks are still clinging to the past because so much of it was covered up.
Exposing old differences to clean air is the only way to heal ancient divisions by coming to terms with them. The Civil war was our nation's biggest mistake, one that could have sundered the nation apart, but did not. It needs to be remembered as honestly as possible, if nothing else as a warning of what can happen when the common good begins to fall apart.

I think that, as a confederate state, Tennessee should retain some confederate general's memories through monuments and the like, but Tennessee should also recognize its other leaders of all races and beliefs as well. That would only make the history of the state all the more open and honest.

Personally, I think a cemetery named for B.B. King, one of the most famous and best loved persons world-wide to ever call Memphis home, would be very fitting.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:06 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

Personally, I think a cemetery named for B.B. King, one of the most famous and best loved persons world-wide to ever call Memphis home, would be very fitting.
Could we name a bridge, monument, or even a highway vs. a cemetery?

Old 07-14-2015, 01:23 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Republicans of those days, yes. However, what does that have to do with anything I've said? I'm not talking about political parties. I'm talking about whether or not we should be honoring Confederate soldiers. Why being political parties into this?
The point the poster making, not political affiliation,
the state of Tennesee divided, Confederate and Union. What happened back then is reason for discussion now.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 AM

10,020 posts, read 9,472,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Is there a Liberace Park yet?
They could have used that name.
It's the flavor de jour.

Do they not support homosexuals?
Don't forget Caitlyn Jenner park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies