Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 12:09 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,995 times

Advertisements

Memphis is on it's way to becoming the South's Detroit:

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, the racial composition of the city of Memphis was:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 12:34 PM

7,443 posts, read 6,989,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Memphis is on it's way to becoming the South's Detroit:

According to the 2006–2008 American Community Survey, the racial composition of the city of Memphis was:

Exactly, this is what is in store for Memphis' future:

GooBing Detroit – Formerly, comparing Detroit property on Google Streetview (c. 2009) and Bing Streetview (c. 2012). Currently, just using Google Street View Time Machine. A personal project. Get in touch at admin@goobingdetroit.com

What parks are named will be pretty irrelevant to anyone.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:11 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,046,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Because of folks stating these are driven by the right, here is a city council and news outlet that are more left slanting that decided to take in this effort for their constituents.

Memphis' Confederate Parks Renamed: City Drops 3 Names That Honor Racist Past
Since you are genuinely interested in this , I'm sure you noticed that this took place more than 2 years ago.

The PC crowd is hilariously disingenous. More than 60% of the Memphis population is black. Does political correctness permit one to ask why the majority of blacks choose to live in southern states? It is their contention that blacks are too stupid to leave racist states and require white lib patriarchy to lift them up out of the darkness --- to spread the utopian bright light that blacks in northern states are so fortunate to experience...oh wait. That is what it looks like to me from the PC crowd. Why blacks collectively tolerate today's white progressive liberal patriarchy is a question for the ages.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:33 PM

2,554 posts, read 2,205,109 times
Rightly or wrongly (depending on your point of view) there were the ballistic missile submarines USS Robert E. Lee and USS Stonewall Jackson.

They were gonna give them thar Commies a whuppin'

They were part of a class of submarines named for "great Americans". Lee and Jackson are still venerated by many Army types for their tactical prowess.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:38 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Since you are genuinely interested in this , I'm sure you noticed that this took place more than 2 years ago.

The PC crowd is hilariously disingenous. More than 60% of the Memphis population is black. Does political correctness permit one to ask why the majority of blacks choose to live in southern states? It is their contention that blacks are too stupid to leave racist states and require white lib patriarchy to lift them up out of the darkness --- to spread the utopian bright light that blacks in northern states are so fortunate to experience...oh wait. That is what it looks like to me from the PC crowd. Why blacks collectively tolerate today's white progressive liberal patriarchy is a question for the ages.
Yes. Fully aware this happened two years ago. My point is that if renaming places is so popular now, why didn't it catch steam many years ago? I've still asked if renaming cities is in-play for ideas on how to eliminate history?

What about mixed memorials? Benedict Arnold saved the nation up in lake Champlain but he was a traitor years later? The quandary.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:43 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,934,674 times
Memphis renames 3 parks named for confederate generals-11659418_10207190001297785_797596505102152243_n.jpg

Old 07-12-2015, 01:47 PM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Could be that the racism in Northern States is rampant even today.

I am from there and the amount of this I have seen makes the Southern States pale by comparison.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:55 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,378,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Yes, we all know that Tennessee was a part of the Confederacy. Does that mean we have to honor Confederate soldiers?

I wish they would have won.

I'm saying that as someone whose ancestors are/have been all Northerners.

We had no legal right whatsoever to interfere with their situation. It was an immoral, evil, twisted oppressive war that never should have happened...and hundreds of thousands of men died because of it. Eff Abe Lincoln for his atrocity.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:03 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,046,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Yes. Fully aware this happened two years ago. My point is that if renaming places is so popular now, why didn't it catch steam many years ago? I've still asked if renaming cities is in-play for ideas on how to eliminate history?
Some are thinking about it

CNN Thinks It's Time to Take Down Jefferson Memorial

Video: D.C. residents, tourists say tear down Jefferson Memorial, rename city - National Policy & Issues

Old 07-12-2015, 02:21 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,838,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Could be that the racism in Northern States is rampant even today.

I am from there and the amount of this I have seen makes the Southern States pale by comparison.
Just give this rename and erase movement more time. It will be proposed that both the southern states and the northern states be renamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies