Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,241,939 times

Advertisements

As i said. Who has started this lie? People across the world still drool at the chance to come to the USA.
I don't here anyone around me saying that the USA is not great anymore.
IMO I think it is soured republicans and nothing more.

The USA is a great country and i am proud to be a citizen. Aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:14 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
I dunno. Who said it was great in the first place?

Edit: I love america, but its government can take a flying leap

Old 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,264 times
We don't have to be great. We don't have to be the "land of opportunity" for anyone but ourselves (meaning legal Americans).

We need to stop all illegal immigration and severly restrict legal immigration. We're full up.

We don't need to be anything more than good stewards for us and our children. Period. The sooner people know this is not the place for the huddled masses or the tired wretched poor the better.

There are 200 countries on this earth for a reason.

We're not the worlds police. Don't turn to us when disaster strikes. Don't send one more American boy/girl to die for another boy/girls country. We need to turn inward and reflective and make this the best country we can for the people here and those people heirs.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:49 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
As i said. Who has started this lie? People across the world still drool at the chance to come to the USA.
I don't here anyone around me saying that the USA is not great anymore.
IMO I think it is soured republicans and nothing more.

The USA is a great country and i am proud to be a citizen. Aren't you?
Because it's not great.

It's mediocre.

When your country leads the first world in many of the negative categories, you're not great anymore. We've got a lot of work to get the great title back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
We don't have to be great. We don't have to be the "land of opportunity" for anyone but ourselves (meaning legal Americans).

Born legal Americans are becoming increasingly lazy.

We need to stop all illegal immigration and severly restrict legal immigration. We're full up.

Those legal immigrants are making up an increasing number of small business owners and entrepreneurs.

We don't need to be anything more than good stewards for us and our children. Period. The sooner people know this is not the place for the huddled masses or the tired wretched poor the better.

There are 200 countries on this earth for a reason.

We're not the worlds police. Don't turn to us when disaster strikes. Don't send one more American boy/girl to die for another boy/girls country. We need to turn inward and reflective and make this the best country we can for the people here and those people heirs.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:00 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Mostly the self-hating Americans on the left.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM

674 posts, read 611,609 times
You know what? This place is great.

This place is great because it was an opportunity to rebuild after the Communist purges. It was, and still is, the new home for millions of people pushed out by murderous Communist thugs. It's a place of success, of culture, of rebirth. Forget what the government did in the past (which is pretty heinous stuff, obviously, and everyone knows it, but it's not like, say, British people are anything other than the pot calling the kettle black). Forget the imperfections, which we'll never eliminate entirely and which will be around in some form in any country.

This is a place where a honest Vietnamese person can escape a life of being hunted down by Communists, rebuild a culture in a place with, quite frankly, better weather, and transform a group of refugees into a thriving community, improving the quality of life for everyone. Look up any history of Little Saigon for an inspiring story of what makes America great.

America the Beautiful.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
America is a great country. It is not a perfect country. Which is why the forefathers said, "In order to form a more perfect union".

It is not the best at everything in the world, nor is it the worst at everything in the world.

But I will tell you that I believe the culture wars, as exemplified on this forum, are the worst reflection on this nation. It is all well and good for conservatives to cry their eyes out over the phrase "one nation under God", and then do everything they can to divide every issue into two nations.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:16 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
The great thing about America has historically been if you were determined and hard working, you could work your way and improve your situation. Where you came from, your religion, etc, did not determine outcomes the way it did in class and caste based societies in other parts of the world.

With the newfound movement toward equality of outcomes, "bootstrapping" is frowned upon, if not made substantially more difficult.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:19 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
Take your pick...

Southern Confederates, who tried to leave in 1861.

The Progressive Movement of the 1890's, who questioned the laissez-faire economic system.

The Lost Generation, who fought in the Great War during 1918, only to become disillusioned with the crass materialism of 1920's America.

The Counter Culture, who rejected the conformonist norms of 1950's-1960's America.

The writers of the 2009 HBO drama The Newsroom:

"We stood up for what was right, we fought for moral reasons, we passed laws, struck down laws for moral reasons. We waged wars on poverty, not poor people. We sacrificed, we cared about our neighbors, we put our money where our mouths were, and we never beat our chest. We built great big things, made ungodly technological advances, explored the universe, cured disease, and we cultivated the world's greatest artists and the world's greatest economy. We reached for the stars, acted like men. We aspired to intelligence, we didn't belittle it, it didn't make us feel inferior. We didn't identify ourselves by who we voted for in the last election, and we didn't scare so easy."

Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Usually liberals when George W. was President and Conservatives when Obama is President. But who the President is actually makes just a wee bit of difference. We're still #1 in technology, medical research, the best universities, the best military in the world. Not sue how much longer but we're still tops for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies