Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with Donald Trump on the need to build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.?
I agree that we need to build a wall. 121 79.08%
I disagree that we need to build a wall. 32 20.92%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 07:04 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,471,792 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how anyone would plan to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that is strong enough to keep people from climbing over it or tunneling under it? Conservatives complain about the escalating budget but how do you intend to pay for a 2,000 mile wall that would probably cost into the trillions to make and maintain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

7,801 posts, read 10,083,283 times
At this point the demographics have reached a point of no return, it would be meaningless. In regards to what I call "the Mexico problem", I prefer Trump's other solution of invading Mexico. Why wall ourselves off from a future part of our nation? We cannot continue to allow Mexico to fester and cause problems.

It would be cheaper to invade and annex Mexico than to build a gigantic wall which would cost gazillions to maintain and man. The climate alone would require rebuilding on a very regular basis.

7,577 posts, read 5,301,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Worked in Berlin didnt it?
First of all the Berlin Wall was a mere 96 miles in length, not nearly 2,000 miles.

Second have you seriously thought out what you just wrote, the U.S. should emulate the GDR?

Old 07-13-2015, 07:07 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,319,229 times
Default Trump said we have to build a wall between Mexico and the U.S.. Do you agree or do you disagree?

I agree with Trump, I think that is a important part along with deportation and enforcing a zero policy for hiring and harboring illegals.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:11 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,709,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It would be cheaper to invade and annex Mexico than to build a gigantic wall which would cost gazillions to maintain and man. The climate alone would require rebuilding on a very regular basis.
No need to invade, after all the North American Union was posed as a solution some while back. The Mexicans would likely go along with that peacefully enough.

But that still begs the question.......what are we gonna do about those pesky Canadians?

Fences/Walls are a double edged sword. They keep undesirables OUT, or IN, depends on your point of view.......

CN.......

Old 07-13-2015, 07:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,109,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“The people that want big fences and guns, sure, we could secure the border,” the congressman noted. “A barbed wire fence with machine guns, that would do the trick. I don’t believe that is what America is all about.”

“Every time you think about this toughness on the border and ID cards and REAL IDs, think it’s a penalty against the American people too. I think this fence business is designed and may well be used against us and keep us in. In economic turmoil, the people want to leave with their capital and there’s capital controls and there’s people controls. Every time you think about the fence, think about the fences being used against us, keeping us in.”
Best answer I could think of.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:15 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times
Cost estimates for fence/ wall are all over the board, $21 million per mile vs. $28-49billion for 700 miles to build and maintain. None of the estimates include the cost to acquire the land. Much of the border is water.

The projected timeframe seems more consistent, 10-15 years. Until then??????

A flat Fence Tax is needed to pay for it.

None of this addresses those who enter via airports on tourist/ business visas and don't go home.

So long as undocumented workers continue to be hired, they will come from all over the world.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,873,613 times
I like this but there are other ways to stop the problem. First, stop welfare and birthright citizenship. Second, make e verify the law. Illegal immigration would be less of a problem.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:26 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,382,621 times
Birthrates in Mexico have dropped to such an extent, it would be virtually impossible for our illegal immigrant population (that has decreased since 2007) to grow significantly more than its current number of 11.2 million.

THIS is the moment in history when right-wingers want to build a massive and extremely expensive wall along the US/Mexico border? Are they insane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG64 View Post
I'm fine with a wall but landmines would be much more cost effective.
Right-wing conservatism truly is the ideology of psychopaths.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 07-13-2015 at 07:42 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 07:29 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,974,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMG64 View Post
I'm fine with a wall but landmines would be much more cost effective.
Agreed. Or mean dogs. I have always favored a really mean pack of dogs. Or geese. Geese are very territorial, and geese in the Rio Grande would be magnificent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies