Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 12:45 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Booze isn't a Schedule 1 drug.
Nor should it be. And neither should cannabis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Libertarians have been pretty consistent on these issues: pro 2nd amendment rights and pro legalizing or decriminalizing marijuana.
Correct. I support both!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's not just "strictly" it's actually a serious offense and ongoing while they possesses firearms and uses marijuana, the use makes them a prohibited person exactly in the same class as any felon. People have been raided, arrested tried and convicted for possessing marijuana (and even medical marijuana cards) and firearms in states where marijuana is permitted. It carries a sentence of 5-10 years, no less of a sentence than if you're caught with cocaine, heroin, meth, and firearms.
I understand and agree, but was using "strictly" to reflect how the OP is trying to use his friend's behavior (which may not be be morally inconsistent) as a "gotcha" for "liberals." Strictly, it is illegal; culturally, it may not be inconsistent.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:04 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I understand and agree, but was using "strictly" to reflect how the OP is trying to use his friend's behavior (which may not be be morally inconsistent) as a "gotcha" for "liberals." Strictly, it is illegal; culturally, it may not be inconsistent.

It's a huge gotcha, especially in Colorado. Colorado tends to be pro-2A and supports MJ. Those two are not inconsistent to them because they rationalize that drugs are harmless. Ignore that sentiment - the progressives once proposed barring members of "hate groups" from owning guns. Defining a hate group is subjective, but let's get past that. A guy exercising his 1st amendment right to free speech is a target to gun grabbers but lying on a federal form is justified because of cultural attitudes on illegal drug use.

I'm pointing out that we as a society don't get to pick and choose how laws are enforced, and your pet cause doesn't supercede my pet cause. We have a constitution and the rights afforded apply equally.

I don't care if you smoke pot and I don't care if you want an abortion. I care when one is inconsistent in their application of rights because they are offended by another exercising his. Liberal tolerance isn't very tolerant on certain issues.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:
It's a huge gotcha, especially in Colorado. Colorado tends to be pro-2A and supports MJ. Those two are not inconsistent to them because they rationalize that drugs are harmless. Ignore that sentiment - the progressives once proposed barring members of "hate groups" from owning guns. Defining a hate group is subjective, but let's get past that. A guy exercising his 1st amendment right to free speech is a target to gun grabbers but lying on a federal form is justified because of cultural attitudes on illegal drug use.

I'm pointing out that we as a society don't get to pick and choose how laws are enforced, and your pet cause doesn't supercede my pet cause. We have a constitution and the rights afforded apply equally.

I don't care if you smoke pot and I don't care if you want an abortion. I care when one is inconsistent in their application of rights because they are offended by another exercising his. Liberal tolerance isn't very tolerant on certain issues.
Again, not a gotcha for "liberals." Sticking to the Constitution and tolerance are not features of solely one part of the political spectrum. Many people from all across the spectrum are unwielding and are intolerant of opposing or different ideas and perspectives.

Last edited by darkeconomist; 07-14-2015 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-14-2015, 01:14 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Booze isn't a Schedule 1 drug.
It should be on the same level as marijuana, we all know this and that is why marijuana keeps moving closer to being legal in the US. That would put an end to this "dilemma" you have asked.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It should be on the same level as marijuana, we all know this and that is why marijuana keeps moving closer to being legal in the US. That would put an end to this "dilemma" you have asked.
We tried that, didn't work out so well.

What we need is to get the government out of the every day lives of citizens across the country.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:17 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Man, there's nothing like a Saturday night of drinking Tequila, smoking pot and shooting guns.

Life just doesn't get any better than that (unless you throw in a pretty woman).

Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We tried that, didn't work out so well.

What we need is to get the government out of the every day lives of citizens across the country.
We tried what? There are several states now that have legalized marijuana. We just need a conservative state to get off their hands and do the same so it can give it the push it needs to be legal across the US.

Old 07-14-2015, 01:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Marijuana and Guns: A liberal dilemma.
That is quite a dilemma for Liberals! Fortunately for me, and individuals like me, I am in favor of marijuana legalization and have no argument against the 2nd amendment. This is a non-issue.

[carry on!]

Old 07-14-2015, 01:24 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
We tried what? There are several states now that have legalized marijuana. We just need a conservative state to get off their hands and do the same so it can give it the push it needs to be legal across the US.
Making alcohol illegal like pot is now.

Even the states that made it "legal" did not change the federal law. Pot is still illegal in all 50 states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies