Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times

Advertisements

And not only did these fake people get approved they got renewed with even bigger subsidies.

This was done by the GAO who fabricated documents and left applications incomplete.
And an interesting twist is that the government is not required to detect fraud. Yes you read that correctly. And the government directed it's contractors not to terminate applicants for missing paperwork.

But they did follow through on requiring proof of citizenship. They terminated 226,000 applicants who had been on Obamacare for not providing proof of citizenship. So it seems illegals can sign up and ride it for about a year before they get caught.

Federal Health Exchange Approved Fake Claims - WSJ
The report found that the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees implementation of the 2010 health law, isn’t required to detect fraud and that CMS officials acknowledged “limited ability” to respond to fraud attempts. CMS told the GAO that there haven’t been signs of a significant level of fraud.

CMS also told the GAO that subsidized policies may have remained in effect in 2014 because the agency directed contractors not to terminate policies or subsidies if an applicant submitted any documentation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:09 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,216,356 times
Simple solution.....raise taxes to make up for lost funds!

A democratic solution that works! Doesn't make sense. Infuriating!
More amazing is that pols wanting to raise taxes in light of colossal government waste and inefficiency don't even get redfaced when they plead their case.

Thank goodenss there is at least one area free from fraud. The only area we have no worry of unethical behavior.........that is the voting booth!

Old 07-18-2015, 09:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,721,445 times
I don't have a need for an individual plan. That did not stop me from registering on my state's healthcare exchange to see what's what, back when, and in doing so contributed to the overload.

I was blown away by how much " the exchange" knew about me based on my SS #. There were prompts that asked me to pick my current and prior addresses, phone numbers, employers and birth place from a multiple choice. Once confirmed, it quickly told me I was not eligible for a subsidy based on my prior year's earning record.

If someone had used my SS #, it's unlikely they would have been able to respond correctly to all the prompts.

My goal was curiosity about the plans, not gaming the system.

I wonder if fraud is across all states or concentrated in some states. ( the link is protected)

I am curious how fraudsters used the temporary benefit, given the high deductible on the individual plans that qualify for subsidy.

State Medicaid generally picks up the tab fof pre-natal care and delivery as well as children thru age 18, regardless of where they were born or the legal status of their children, what unique benefits did the fraudsters recieve?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:32 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't have a need for an individual plan. That did not stop me from registering on my state's healthcare exchange to see what's what, back when, and in doing so contributed to the overload.

I was blown away by how much " the exchange" knew about me based on my SS #. There were prompts that asked me to pick my current and prior addresses, phone numbers, employers and birth place from a multiple choice. Once confirmed, it quickly told me I was not eligible for a subsidy based on my prior year's earning record.

If someone had used my SS #, it's unlikely they would have been able to respond correctly to all the prompts.
That brings up another issue... What about the illegals that are using others' SS numbers? What if the person who legitimately has that SS number doesn't qualify for subsidies because the illegal(s) used that SS number fraudulently to get a job and so the total reported income to the IRS is higher than what the person actually earned?

Old 07-18-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:

I wonder if fraud is across all states or concentrated in some states. ( the link is protected)

I am curious how fraudsters used the temporary benefit, given the high deductible on the individual plans that qualify for subsidy.

State Medicaid generally picks up the tab fof pre-natal care and delivery as well as children thru age 18, regardless of where they were born or the legal status of their children, what unique benefits did the fraudsters recieve?
The GAO did it and not only did they stay in the system for a year they got renewed.
And when the system rejected them they called the call center and got into the system that way.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:23 PM

here's another link..not locked out to subscribers.

Agents able to get Obamacare subsidies using fake IDs - CBS News

Old 07-18-2015, 12:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
I do not see why anyone is surprised. Government programs are all ripe with fraud because they are setup that way. Success was all based on numbers so they set it up to get numbers.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:48 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,196 times
There have always been people who cheat on their taxes and cheat to get gov't benefits.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:

That's not the exchange doing that. You also get that type of grilling when you register on the SS site or TreasuryDirect.

For one question about past phone numbers they all looked strange (who remembers all their phone numbers) and I thought I was going to fail their test.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That brings up another issue... What about the illegals that are using others' SS numbers?
Or, legals, for that matter. Don't assume identity theft is carried out only by illegal residents. Fraudsters come in all shape and form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies