Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2015, 09:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Tell that to "Mothers Against Guns" or "Teachers Against Guns", but they don't care because guns kill more children than any other cause of death.

Gun deaths in children: Statistics show firearms endanger kids despite NRA safety programs.

If the conservatives running the NRA had working brains they would give all their money to democrat politicians (you get what you pay for.)

The 5.56x45mm round used in a AR15 has a velocity of 3,148 FPS and is accurate at 200 yards.
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO) Ballistics GunData.org

A 12 Gauge shot gun "Personal Defense" shell has a velocity of about 1,145 FPS, is designed to dissipate energy upon hitting walls, and its optimum range is 15 yards.
Bet your life on it: Defensive shotgun ammunition | The Daily Caller

59% of Americans support an assault weapons ban.
59% Favor Assault Weapons Ban; 18% Want Handgun Ban, Too - Rasmussen Reports™

Our posts show the opposite is true.
You are trying too hard.

A pool is actually 100 times more likely to kill a child than a gun, let alone an assault rifle.
Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon – Deltoid

Penetration requires more than velocity, it require mass.
A 9mm bullet is twice as heavy as 5.56. A shotgun shell with buck or slugs is around an ounce while 5.56 is 62 grains, the average 9mm is 115gr, 40 s&w 165 grs and 45 ACP 230 grs. You see, I know what I am talking about, I don't even have to google search to provide this information. Buck/slug from a shotgun will travel through more walls than 5.56, not to mention with buck shot you have 8-9 pellets, each around the weight of a 9mm bullet each that spread out as they travel.

You would be better served by using more current poll data.

Not to mention we had an assault weapons ban and it didn't actually accomplish anything. Even government studies says the assault weapon ban did not prevent crime. Why restrict civil rights for no actual benefit? Is it because your a statist?

I would love for you to tell me what exactly is an assault weapon, how it differs for other rifles and why those differences makes them more dangerous.

Last edited by shooting4life; 07-15-2015 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 09:03 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
A 1500 person poll is hardly accurate in a country of 320 million. Not to mention, gun owners know better than to be forthcomming when asked about their firearms.
All other indicators show firearm owner growth.
Can you show proof of the number of firearm owners growing? No, you can only say it.

When we were little kids we shot pellet guns with our friends, shot real guns with our parents, and begged for 12 gauge semi-automatic shotguns for Christmas.

But today kids stay inside playing video games, they shoot airsoft guns in the backyard, their parents work 2 jobs and don't have the time or wooded areas around them to shoot guns, and kids beg for smart phones for Christmas.

Common sense shows firearm owner decline.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Here is a nice gif to help show the expansion of concealed carry over the last 30 years or so. Not all the way updated with the more recent states with constitutional carry.

Gun sales compared to crime

Old 07-15-2015, 09:36 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Tell that to "Mothers Against Guns" or "Teachers Against Guns", but they don't care because guns kill more children than any other cause of death.

Gun deaths in children: Statistics show firearms endanger kids despite NRA safety programs.

If the conservatives running the NRA had working brains they would give all their money to democrat politicians (you get what you pay for.)

The 5.56x45mm round used in a AR15 has a velocity of 3,148 FPS and is accurate at 200 yards.
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm NATO) Ballistics GunData.org

A 12 Gauge shot gun "Personal Defense" shell has a velocity of about 1,145 FPS, is designed to dissipate energy upon hitting walls, and its optimum range is 15 yards.
Bet your life on it: Defensive shotgun ammunition | The Daily Caller

59% of Americans support an assault weapons ban.
59% Favor Assault Weapons Ban; 18% Want Handgun Ban, Too - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢

Our posts show the opposite is true.
Keep trying, but your stats are wrong as usual.
Top 5 Causes of Accidental Death in the United States - Listosaur | Hungry for Knowledge

Old 07-15-2015, 09:38 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Do you understand what more likely means? Odds are not absolutes.

A man is more likely to have a ccw than a woman.
A white person is more likely to have a ccw than a person of color.
A younger person is more likely to have a ccw than a senior.
Young white sexist racists love guns.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post

Well damn. I so wanted to fit the profile. I'm OLD, Non white, non sexist, non racist, an I love guns. I feel so left out.
Wait, wait.. I am 25% white. Does that count?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I'm sorry you don't like statistics.

What do you think would happen to minority gun ownership after generations black codes and Jim Crow that target minorities for disarmament? You know gun control was originally used as a tool to disarm minorities to prevent slave revolts don't you?

Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are trying too hard.

A pool is actually 100 times more likely to kill a child than a gun, let alone an assault rifle.
Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon – Deltoid
Pools/Guns that's republican gun lie #129.

Mikeb302000: Pro-Gun Lie Number 129: Swimming Pools are More Dangerous for Kids than Guns

Quote:
Penetration requires more than velocity, it require mass.
A 9mm bullet is twice as heavy as 5.56. A shotgun shell with buck or slugs is around an ounce while 5.56 is 62 grains, the average 9mm is 115gr, 40 s&w 165 grs and 45 ACP 230 grs. You see, I know what I am talking about, I don't even have to google search to provide this information. Buck/slug from a shotgun will travel through more walls than 5.56, not to mention with buck shot you have 8-9 pellets, each around the weight of a 9mm bullet each that spread out as they travel.
When I was 10 years old I learned you can shoot shotguns near neighborhoods, but you can't shoot rifles near neighborhoods because the bullet travels very far. But I guess you still have not learned that lesson.

Quote:
I would love for you to tell me what exactly is an assault weapon, how it differs for other rifles and why those differences makes them more dangerous.
Its a weapon that looks like a military weapon. But other regular guns are more accurate, more powerful, and more dangerous. Basically its a gun only an idiot or madman would want because he saw a similar looking gun in a movie killing a bunch of people.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Mikeb302000: Pro-Gun Lie Number 129: Swimming Pools are More Dangerous for Kids than Guns

When I was 10 years old I learned you can shoot shotguns near neighborhoods, but you can't shoot rifles near neighborhoods because the bullet travels very far. But I guess you still have not learned that lesson.

Its a weapon that looks like a military weapon. But other regular guns are more accurate, more powerful, and more dangerous. Basically its a gun only an idiot or madman would want because he saw a similar looking gun in a movie killing a bunch of people.

Actually an AR-15 or an AK-47 are excellent for killing feral pigs. Inexpensive, and accurate to about 200 yards. Try one on your place. Wait, you're a city boy aren't you.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:

You might want to go try something besides a blog. At least find a well reasoned blog.

Do you know the difference between bird, buck and slug shotgun loads? Do you understand that how far something can travel is not indicative to its energy when the weights and aerodynamics are different? You are out of the knowledge depth here. Not to mention how far something travel means nothing when indoors when penetration is all that matters.

So your definition of an assault rifle is something that is scary looking, sure am glad you are weighing in on this debate.

Why is this assault rifle

More dangerous than this regular rifle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies