Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,073,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which must be why American productivity is at a all time high?
No, productivity plus quality control is very low in comparison to past generations

Quote:
As for the moon landing.....Apparently you are unaware that dozens of computers were involved?
Now that's not what I said...learn comprehension. I said it was my generation that did not have computers and electronic devices when we grew up, that had the educated background to put the programs together, including the massive electronics, that put man on the moon. The first computer I ever saw was at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland and was the size of a very large room, looking back probably about 30' x 20' and it put out a small card with information on it. That was about 11 years before the moon landing...my generation is the one that made the tremendous advancements within that short space of time. And...we grew up and were educated WITHOUT any electronic devices and without any government handouts! Amazing, isn't it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 05:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,288,371 times
Default Obama to Give Free Internet to Housing Projects

If the parents care about their children's education the children will get an education, if not no free computer or internet will change that. On the good side City data will quad triple in memberships.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:01 PM

16,163 posts, read 8,309,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Education is the key to our success and continuing success. Great way to bring education to the inner city. There are thousands/millions of kids that have never touched a computer.
With education the phrase. "How will they know where to go if they don't know the way"
pretty well sums it up. Lot's smarter to get them education than send them to prison. They deserve it anyway. They are Americans also.

So the free education we give to kids via public school education is not enough. Instead we must now provide internet services as well?
I am sure there will be restrictions on which sites they can visit (i.e. no Facebook or other social media) so as to insure they are only using it for you theory of educational reasons, right?
If that is what it takes to get it funded, how long would those restrictions last?
Probably akin to how food stamps had specific restrictions on only certain types of solid food such as milk, meats, vegetables, fruits, etc.
Now they have EBT cards that can be used just about anywhere for anything they want. Booze, strippers, cigarettes, you name it.

Heck we have already been paying for free internet service via a sneaky tax collected by the companies (mandated by the government) called "Universal Service Fee". It is also on our cellular phone bills to help pay for "Obama phones", which undoubtedly will have liberals claiming it is a necessity, not a luxury.

So since food, clothing, housing, utilities, transportation +++ is not enough, we just keep adding to the taxpayers burden with free goodies to those who don't work. The kids are allowed to miss free school without consequence, and when they become adults and have no education, it is as usual in a liberals mind "societies fault".

Tell me, what incentive is there for a person who has everything provided for them, to get off their lazy rear end and go find a job?
Also what do we do about those who have made multiple bad choices in life, and are likely going to be a lifetime burden on the society?

Oh wait, I know the answer.
Channeling liberals thought processes.
Demand more from the rich to give to the poor (as if that has helped in the last 50 years with billions wasted).

Old 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM

52,572 posts, read 47,695,376 times
So Santa Barry wants to give people free internet? So what happens when his service goes on the blink? Who will these people contact then?

These poor people need to help themselves and not depend on government to spoon-feed them.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:05 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,034,654 times
Quote:
They deserve it anyway.
Fine, then you put up the money since your so full of it.

Quote:
ASK ANY COLLEGE STUDENT IF THEY CAN SUCCEED IN COLLEGE WITHOUT THE INTERNET.
I did.

That was just 10 years ago.

Quote:
You could sure benefit to go help out the poor at some place and learn what life actually is for so many people.
I already know what life is like for them.

Quote:
Some very smart people have posted on this thread. AND some ignorant racist bastards also.
You get a 4 out of 10 for your Al Sharpton routine.

It's not racist to expect or demand that each person fund their own life-style.

Noting...

Mircea

Old 07-15-2015, 05:06 PM

24,624 posts, read 19,034,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which must be why American productivity is at a all time high?
The only correct measure of productivity is:

Unit Volume / Labor Hours = Productivity

200,000 labor-hours; 1 Million widgets produced; unit price is $10; gross revenues $10 Million
190,000 labor-hours; 950,000 widgets produced; unit price is $12; gross revenues $11.4 Million

Did Productivity increase?

No, but amazing how some people continue to spread propaganda and disinformation.

State the Economic Law, Theory, Theorem or Corollary showing the relationship between Wages and Productivity.

Correctly...

Mircea

Old 07-15-2015, 05:12 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,078,179 times
A lot of opportunities open when someone has reliable Internet access.

Most jobs, you have to apply online. You have to have an electronic resume, if not an Internet presence (LinkedIn etc).

They can find resources and information to help themselves. They can start Internet businesses.

I'm amazed this hasn't been considered sooner. $9.95 per month is a winning investment if it means they can become more self-sufficient otherwise.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:23 PM

16,849 posts, read 14,213,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
I love how people act like all that was missing in some kids life was access to "education" on the internet. Like some poor white kid in West Virginia is all of the sudden gonna get internet access crack his knuckles and go "Now, lets get my thoughts and ideas about the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture out there", "But, first I must login to my schools finance site and pay the late fee for keeping this Physics tetxtbook for so long over the summer break, silly me".

Give everybody free access to the internet and computer to do it with for all I care. But don't **** on my leg and tell me it's raining with your fantasy tales about some horny teenage boy all of the sudden getting an "education" on the internet. Yeah, he's gonna google Calculus Tutor's in Nebraska. Please, he'll google cleveland steamer first, then asstastic voyage and whatever else comes across his mind.

Access to education.

Jesus Christ.

+ = laughing so hard I'm crying

You win the internet.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,767,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
A lot of opportunities open when someone has reliable Internet access.

Most jobs, you have to apply online. You have to have an electronic resume, if not an Internet presence (LinkedIn etc).

They can find resources and information to help themselves. They can start Internet businesses.

I'm amazed this hasn't been considered sooner. $9.95 per month is a winning investment if it means they can become more self-sufficient otherwise.
What you think people should do with free internet access and what people will actually do with free internet access is two very different things.

I almost spit out my water when you said people will start an Internet business and the only thing holding them back is not having free internet service.

Old 07-15-2015, 05:34 PM

6,243 posts, read 5,029,583 times
Quote:
1. They deserve it anyway. 2. They are Americans also.
1. The only people who deserve the Internet are the people who work to pay the monthly fee involved in securing the service. Those who cannot afford to pay for the service can go to the library, to certain community centers and schools, to unemployment offices, to their Internet provided friends.

2. THIS American is tired for paying for THOSE Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies