Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 02:13 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,769 times

Advertisements

Well, free to them anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/16/te...ts-to-web.html

Quote:
The Obama administration announced on Wednesday a program to connect thousands of public housing residents across the nation to the Internet at low prices or free. The sweeping effort is aimed at helping the many low-income Americans who have been left behind in an increasingly technology-driven nation to catch up.

Over all, 275,000 households, including 200,000 children, will be eligible for free Internet connections or, in some areas, broadband hookups that cost as little as $9.95 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 02:14 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Sure am glad we are putting my taxes to good use

Old 07-15-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Sure am glad we are putting my taxes to good use
Keep working. Millions on welfare are depending on you!

Old 07-15-2015, 02:19 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Education is the key to our success and continuing success. Great way to bring education to the inner city. There are thousands/millions of kids that have never touched a computer.
With education the phrase. "How will they know where to go if they don't know the way"
pretty well sums it up. Lot's smarter to get them education than send them to prison. They deserve it anyway. They are Americans also.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Education is the key to our success and continuing success. Great way to bring education to the inner city. There are thousands/millions of kids that have never touched a computer.
With education the phrase. "How will they know where to go if they don't know the way"
pretty well sums it up. Lot's smarter to get them education than send them to prison. They deserve it anyway. They are Americans also.
I don't know how to help you if you think free internet service is providing eduction for children.

The only things one deserves is spelled out in the constitution and bill of rights.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:27 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
I don't know how to help you if you think free internet service is providing eduction for children.

The only things one deserves is spelled out in the constitution and bill of rights.
By god, why should we allow the poor access to technology, or information! GASP! They might get ideas, and get all uppity.

Know what? Growing up, like you probably, I got along fine without internet. But todays world is different. The internet is where a lot od education occurs, heck I took some computer science classes on some new topics a couple years back without ever meeting my teacher.

Its 2015. Hi!

1,167 posts, read 2,169,415 times
Quote:

I don't know how to help you if you don't realize the internet is the greatest source of information ever to exist.

Do you complain about your tax dollars going to public schools and libraries too?

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:

The Constitution says anything not specifically spelled out in it are given to the people, but thats a side point as I dont think the other person even mentioned constitutionality.

Its kid of hard to do a research project when the closest library is on the other side of gang territory and your school doesnt have after hours, and you wouldnt have transportation even if it did.

So yes, internet can help.

Lets separate what you believe to be morally/ethically right to what can actually work and help.

Old 07-15-2015, 02:28 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
This was one of the provisions under the net neutrality bill

Old 07-15-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Because they have free smartphones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies