Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 06:16 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,807,221 times

Advertisements

Just because you are a PoC, woman or LGBT, does not give you a monopoly on discussing or experiencing discrimination.

Stop lecturing disabled people of ANY COLOR or GENDER on discrimination. We know and understand discrimination very well.

You are not helping. It is not your job to teach disabled people about cultural invincibility and social immobility. We know.

You are not helping. You are making things twice as bad for disabled people.

A person's color or gender does not give you the right to assume they have experienced less discrimination, social isolation, invisibility or cultural abuse than you.

Can a disabled person be a racist or misogynist or a homophobe or trans-phobic? Yes.

But their race or gender does not give you the okay to assume they need a lecture on discrimination or bigotry or hate more than you might need one.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,931,239 times

I have no idea what you're referring to but, I have to say, your little "tag line" is hilarious!

Old 07-16-2015, 06:55 AM

15,907 posts, read 21,575,796 times
No, people do not understand *all* discrimination "very well" simply because they are a member of a group who is discriminated against. Would you stop talking to a PoC or woman about discrimination against the disabled community simply because they are a PoC or a woman? I certainly hope not.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:27 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,807,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
No, people do not understand *all* discrimination "very well" simply because they are a member of a group who is discriminated against. Would you stop talking to a PoC or woman about discrimination against the disabled community simply because they are a PoC or a woman? I certainly hope not.
It would be great if racist, misogynist, homophobic and trans-phobic disabled people were being corrected.

But what is often happening is people are being told to shut up only based on the superficial surface details of race and gender without regard to the possibility they might be disabled.

Disabled people often exhibit "anti-social" (or shying away) behavior that is not readily understandable or explainable to the non-disabled and so it is often assumed these behaviors are due to inherent racism, misogyny or other discriminatory or bigoted thinking when that may not be the case.

Non-disabled people who make these assumptions are doing incalculable damage to the disabled. Imagine, after years of social immobility and cultural invincibility, your behavior (or even your social circumstances) was now being "explained" by other non-disabled people as a symptom or punishment for your "anti-minority" thinking or attitudes.

In effect, disabled people are being socially punished twice as much as those other groups. Once, for being different because they are already disabled and a second time for exhibiting behavior that people are 'explaining" as symptoms of the discriminatory attitudes of your race or gender.

People need to stop making assumptions about disabled people.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM

15,291 posts, read 7,808,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Just because you are a PoC, woman or LGBT, does not give you a monopoly on discussing or experiencing discrimination.

Stop lecturing disabled people of ANY COLOR or GENDER on discrimination. We know and understand discrimination very well.
PoC are still number one in the pecking order and will be tough to dislodge. But gays really moved up over the last generation, leaving women in the dust. And now trans people are hitting it out of the park, making gays feel like yesterday's news. But I think the disabled have great potential. With the right marketing strategy they could go all the way to the top. Who knows, one day even black lesbian trans women may defer to them.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,448,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
PoC are still number one in the pecking order and will be tough to dislodge. But gays really moved up over the last generation, leaving women in the dust. And now trans people are hitting it out of the park, making gays feel like yesterday's news. But I think the disabled have great potential. With the right marketing strategy they could go all the way to the top. Who knows, one day even black lesbian trans women may defer to them.
I refer to it as the totem pole. Which, ironically, has Native Americans near the bottom of their own creation. What's interesting about this totem is it's fluidity. It can literally change in a news cycle. Witness Ferguson, South Carolina, Football Spiking SCOTUS Gay Marriage. That is indeed a fast twitch move. With the Pres elections coming up I would not count out women (mostly white cis hetero women, but women none the less) make a quick play for the top. Perhaps eaking into the top 2 with help from Hilary. I'm not sure much can displace TQIA group right now...maybe another shooting...I don't know they've got a pretty good hold on first place. I'm dubious as to where the disabled fit on this heirarchy, that is kind of new to me. Something tells me there are too many of the wrong kinds of white people in that group (veterans and old farts) to really coalesce into a top 5 group.

It's a really fun game to watch, keeping track of the perpetually aggrieved. Much better than the NFL/MLB stuff.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,533,284 times
Well this is news to me.

I'm disabled btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies