Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 06:41 PM

884 posts, read 717,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I feel like I can't judge whether someone is simply lazy and a rotten person, or whether they are depressed, mentally ill or otherwise disempowered, and I lean towards giving people the benefit of the doubt. I also think a lot of laziness comes from an attitude of defeatism, which is very easy to feel nowadays when most jobs pay crap wages and expect the moon from you, and don't offer much of any hope of advancement. Why should somebody have to be miserable and work 80 hours a week for almost nothing rather than take welfare which in some cases pays almost as much? You are asking people to be martyrs to companies that clearly don't give a crap about them. I'm sure most of those people would rather work if they were compensated fairly for it, or at least given enough to survive.

BTW, this is assuming that work even exists.

When Clinton cut welfare a lot of people suffered. Also that was a different generation when automation and globalization was not nearly as advanced as it is now. Even compared to the 90s America today lacks opportunity for the lower classes.
Perhaps a few, ok millions could practice a little common sense under the sheets. Or is it a crime now to ask people to take responsibility for their own actions. Oh the humanity.....

Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 PM

8,292 posts, read 23,129,728 times
give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
Promise him you'll take some other mans fish to give to him, and he'll vote for you for a lifetime.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:58 PM

325 posts, read 256,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Who do you think gets those profits?

This should be good...
Ah, I see what you're getting at here. You expect me to spout some inane platitude that you can ridicule, just as you would. Instead, I am going to respond with truth.
The shareholders get them...but only after the parasites suck everything they can from the stream.
Management is diligent in controlling costs when it comes to the lower and mid level employees. Nothing will trickle down to them. The stockholders will get a return only after all of the expense accounts, bonuses, perks, and exorbitant and unearned salaries are paid to upper management.
It's amazing what you can justify for yourself when you have first touch of the cash flow.
The system is designed to concentrate wealth in the financial services sector.
To pay more to stockbrokers than stockholders. To siphon investor's money into the accounts of the financial planners. They get paid first, regardless of profit or loss, so they have no stake in the game.
And when you lose half the value of your 401K due to mismanagement of mutual funds, they still get richer.
They can devalue stock when earnings are high by spending on a major project, or settling a judgement that has been held up in court, but when the economy is down, they let you bear the loss.
Oh yes, I know how the system is designed to work.
I've seen it from the inside.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:36 PM

89,071 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
Ah, I see what you're getting at here. You expect me to spout some inane platitude that you can ridicule, just as you would. Instead, I am going to respond with truth.
The shareholders get them...but only after the parasites suck everything they can from the stream.
If that were true, how are teachers in Illinois, for example, getting pensions worth over $2 million when they only contributed about $150,000 to their pension account?

Quote:
"Case study: Chicago Public Schools

Rhea Fries Boldman’s experience as a Chicago Public Schools teacher reveals just how out of sync city worker contributions are compared to the benefits they receive.

Boldman retired in 2012 at the age of 59 with a final average salary of $87,057.

Boldman is receiving an annual pension of $71,674 – and she will receive $2.4 million in pension benefits during her retirement if she lives to her full life expectancy.

Yet she contributed just $147,032 to the pension system over her 30-plus year career. Her direct contributions to the Chicago Teachers’ Pension Fund will cover just 6.2 percent of her expected lifetime benefits. Including the interest earned on those contributions, the total would cover approximately 12 percent of her expected lifetime pension benefits."
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/fact-finder-pension-benefits-of-chicago-workers/

Guess in what the pension funds are invested. Hint: Same as CalPERS.

"CalPERS is one of the largest institutional investors in both the U.S. and international stock markets."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150327125157/http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/investments/assets/equities/home.xml

CalPERS: California Public Employee Retirement System

And guess how much American workers and retirees have invested in their retirement/pension accounts all the while expecting corporate profits, etc., to increase the value of their accounts and fund their retirement?

$24 Trillion

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI

But, hey... you can always ask all those people to just suck it up and accept much less on which to retire.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:38 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,193,881 times
Illegals will give it a second thought of coming to America.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,397,951 times
Quote:
If that were true, how are teachers in Illinois, for example, getting pensions worth over $2 million when they only contributed about $150,000 to their pension account?

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/reports/fact-finder-pension-benefits-of-chicago-workers/

"CalPERS is one of the largest institutional investors in both the U.S. and international stock markets."

https://web.archive.org/web/20150327125157/http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/investments/assets/equities/home.xml

And guess how much American workers and retirees have invested in their retirement/pension accounts all the while expecting corporate profits, etc., to increase the value of their accounts and fund their retirement?

$24 Trillion

But, hey... you can always ask all those people to just suck it up and accept much less on which to retire.
Wow, you get some nonsense going and you dont let go of it. In fact you copy nd paste it over and over.

Sniff test time...

the bottom 80% own 7% of the nations financial wealth. The top 1%? own 40% of it.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:56 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maleman View Post
That's how it was told to me, by her. Missionary may be the wrong word, but I don't know how else to describe it, she was expected to canvass the areas she was told to, door to door, to spread the word and look for other converts...
I'm not questioning you... just her. Missionaries going door to door never go alone, either, by the way, but always in twos. At any rate, if the Church was going to bribe people to join, it would hardly make sense for them to bribe the poorest of the poor. Something fishy's goin' on with this lady's story.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not questioning you... just her. Missionaries going door to door never go alone, either, by the way, but always in twos. At any rate, if the Church was going to bribe people to join, it would hardly make sense for them to bribe the poorest of the poor. Something fishy's goin' on with this lady's story.
She said she was from Colombia, and recently widowed. Maybe her husband had been LDS? She really didn't talk about him other than that he was passed away. She was articulate and spoke English well.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:

$24 Trillion

Bruce Rauner, at the time chairman of the Chicago-based private equity firm GTCR, donated $525,000 to the Institute between 2008 and 2013.[20][15][21]

Elected Illinois Governor in 2014, Bruce Rauner hired three Institute staff members into his new administration.[35][36]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illinois_Policy_Institute

Definitely an unbiased, well researched response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies