Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 03:48 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times

Advertisements

For those calling the food stamp and other nutritional programs a failure, and criticizing them. I agree. They are patchwork programs, that dont cover everyone. Maybe we should just have a basic income for food. Everyone gets food stamps! Problem solved.

But until we are willing to take such a step, we're going to have dozens of programs, and still have people fall through the cracks.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
"Yet you failed to address the issue."

There is so much in the way of overwhelming information with regard to what good the Food Stamp program does for those in need, I find it hard to believe any further addressing of that issue is needed for anyone. Much of that information has been posted here as well. Of course, I also recognize no program is perfect, as I also mentioned.

What I addressed was the faulty logic and reason, because that is the primary problem. No matter the facts, if the confirmation bias is so strong not to allow a broader perspective, no addressing of the issue will serve any purpose.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
May 2015 is old?

Um... no.

Exhibit 5 from that May 2015 Report:

Obesity rate:
Adult SNAP participants: 44%
Adult income-eligible nonparticipants: 33%

* Denotes significant differences in percentages.

(This image does not violate copyright law. The Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc. ruling in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit explained why the method of inline linking which causes the image to appear in this post does not violate US copyright law.)
You can't prove they're over-eating. Just let it go, you just appear desperate.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
"Yet you failed to address the issue."

There is so much in the way of overwhelming information with regard to what good the Food Stamp program does for those in need, I find it hard to believe any further addressing of that issue is needed for anyone. Much of that information has been posted here as well. Of course, I also recognize no program is perfect, as I also mentioned.

What I addressed was the faulty logic and reason, because that is the primary problem. No matter the facts, if the confirmation bias is so strong not to allow a broader perspective, no addressing of the issue will serve any purpose.
You'll learn certain posters have their own agenda and are incapable of listening to anything else.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:54 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times
"You'll learn certain posters have their own agenda and are incapable of listening to anything else."

I have been a participant in too many political and religious type discussions and forums to count, ever since I was old enough to think about such things...

I have long been able to confirm the soundness of my "Cement Theory" that really we are not likely to change our minds in any significant way about such things after we get past our 20s. Of course, I can't claim to be an exception, because I too am confident about my beliefs, but I DO try to test them at every turn as opposed to the opposite.

One thing I have learned here in particular, however, is that some people can't just simply provide the link from which they draw their information, or move on with additional information. That's a new one for me...

Old 08-06-2015, 05:34 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post
InformedOne: I can see you are having fun repeating yourself, and your inability to veer from your comfort zone is obvious
Yes, the facts are quite obvious:

59% of families participating in a major FNS free food public assistance program (SNAP, WIC, Free School Breakfast, Free School Lunch) simultaneously participate in 2 or more of those programs, stacking duplicate benefits for the same meals.

44% of adults receiving food stamps are obese. Not just overweight. Obese. Compared to 33% of income-eligible but nonparticipating (have chosen to NOT receive food stamps) adults, and 32% of adults with higher incomes.

Same income-level adults' obesity rate:
Food stamp adults: 44%
Nonpartificpant adults: 33%

That's a statistically significant difference in obesity rates among those with the same income levels, and the OSU study even controlled for education levels and residential areas, as well.

Links to all eported data previously posted.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yet you failed to address the issue.
They won't address the issue because then they'd have to admit that the duplication of benefits in the public assistance free food programs are enabling too many people to become obese.

Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves because they're overweight or obese themselves.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
You can't prove they're over-eating.
44% of the adults on food stamps are obese. How does that happen without overeating?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
44% of the adults on food stamps are obese. How does that happen without overeating?
Well your OSU study pointed to nutrition:

Quote:
From the data they have, the researchers can’t tell for sure why food stamps seem to lead to unhealthy eating practices, Zagorsky said. But there are clues.

Government statistics showed that the average recipient received $81 in food stamps per month in 2002, the last year examined in this study.

“That figure was shocking to me.” Zagorsky said. “I think it would be very difficult for a shopper to regularly buy healthy, nutritious food on that budget.”

That’s because calorie-dense, high-fat, processed foods tend to be less expensive than more healthy choices.

Zagorsky said policymakers should aim at changing the types of food that program participants purchase.

Those on food stamps could be required to take a course on nutrition. In addition, recipients who purchase fresh fruit and vegetables and other low-fat products could be given more benefits or receive discounts on these products, he said.

“Modifying the Food Stamp Program to include economic incentives to eat healthier might be an important tool for fighting obesity,” Zagorsky said.
No where in that study does it link overeating to food stamp usage. Care to try another study?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:00 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
So how does giving families duplicate benefits in 2 or more simultaneous major FNS programs for the same free meals, with the resultant effect that 44% of the SNAP participant adults become obese, increase the quality of their health?
So here's a novel idea: why don't you get yourself hired at the local food stamp office and then you can personally stamp out all the fraud you want instead of telling us the same thing every other post. Or get all your facts and figures together and write your congressman/woman and let them know how upset you are. Make sure you have a solution to the problem, too. It never pays to complain about something unless you have a solution for it. Run for office and become the food stamp czar so you can do whatever you want with the food stamps. Set up a program to help people learn to cook so they don't have to buy all the junk food. Hire detectives to follow people around so you know what they're buying. Start a shaming campaign. Do something, anything!

Personally, I think the only reason you keep bringing this up is because you don't want anyone to use food stamps, you're resentful of those who do receive food stamps, and this is your way of justifying how you feel.

I wouldn't know and I don't care about the other people getting food stamps. All I know is I was told I qualified for them, so I get them and I use them. And I am very grateful that I have them.

Now please stop, because I'm tired of wasting my pixels on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies