Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 02:56 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,843,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Complaining about racism or any social issue doesn't mean you aren't assimilated. If black Americans are "un-assimilated" it is because of housing and employment discrimination. Black American culture, customs and identity is not an antithesis to US culture.
If you claim you are as a group perpetually discriminated against then you are un-assimilable out group.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:57 AM

943 posts, read 779,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No one is indigenous to the Americas, but whites came and founded what's now the US first and were ~85% majority until the 1960s and onward. Then you should've stayed segregated if you want to be different from whites and the majority.

You're not assimilated if you constantly disagree with and complain and blame the majority for everything that happens to you. You are an out group.
Native Americans are indigenous to the US (yes I realize they passed the Bering strait, but that still counts as indigenous).

Black Americans-- unless they come from the Caribbean or Africa directly have been in the US since the 18th century. The bulk of white Americans today often only have US roots in the 19th and 20th century. Black Americans are just as American as white Americans and do not have to conform to white standards in terms of speech, mannerisms, music, or food in order to be considered "real Americans."

Complaining about racism from the dominant group has nothing to do with not being legitimately American. I think maybe your definition of assimilated is different than mine. To you, assimilated means letting white racist have their way with the black population.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:59 AM

Quote:
If you claim you are as a group perpetually discriminated against then you are un-assimilable out group.
No it means the dominant group is refusing to respect that groups nationality.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It appears that you need to look up what assimilation means in the dictionary. Your statement is not coherent. I've never seen blacks complain about assimilation.
You never heard of "Uncle Tom", "acting white", black culture and single mothers etc, or non-Anglicized names purposely being chosen? Assimilate means to take in and to understand. Clearly many blacks don't understand common white concepts of cause and effect, attribution etc.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:04 AM

Quote:
No it means the dominant group is refusing to respect that groups nationality.
No it means the group will not or cannot assimilate to the dominate culture.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm an immigrant.
I'm not going to be an American. I have my own culture and my own values.

The only things that a decent person is obligated in USA is to pay taxes and obey the law. All the other stuff... Sorry, you cannot force me to love baseball, eat hot-dogs and to think that two men kissing is not disgusting.
Aside from your anti-gay comment, I agree with everything you said. Some people are just narcissistic and want everyone to be like them. I don't care if an immigrant watches different movies than me, watches soccer rather than basketball, or listens to different music. As long as they speak English in public life(when at stores, banks, schools, etc) and respects basic customs and laws, I don't give a **** about anything else.

8,293 posts, read 3,783,843 times
Quote:
You never heard of "Uncle Tom", "acting white", black culture and single mothers etc, or non-Anglicized names purposely being chosen? Assimilate means to take in and to understand. Clearly many blacks don't understand common white concepts of cause and effect, attribution etc.
We're talking about assimilating to America... not assimilating to whites. Many blacks have assimilated and your assertion that they cannot and do not want to is unfounded.

Clearly you have no idea about what you're talking about. Cause and effect is not a white concept as it's origins go back to Buddhism and predates contemporary philosophy. Trying to talk about America and psychology while displaying your ignorance of both topics is not helping you in any way.

Quote:
Native Americans are indigenous to the US (yes I realize they passed the Bering strait, but that still counts as indigenous).

Black Americans-- unless they come from the Caribbean or Africa directly have been in the US since the 18th century. The bulk of white Americans today often only have US roots in the 19th and 20th century. Black Americans are just as American as white Americans and do not have to conform to white standards in terms of speech, mannerisms, music, or food in order to be considered "real Americans."

Complaining about racism from the dominant group has nothing to do with not being legitimately American. I think maybe your definition of assimilated is different than mine. To you, assimilated means letting white racist have their way with the black population.
Not true. Amerindians are aboriginal but not really indigenous to America, no humans are. The US is a separate nation founded by Europeans from the Amerindian nations. Europeans have been in the US since the founding in 1600 and many whites are related to them. Blacks arrived a little later and over the next 200 years.

Your perpetual complaints are just proof you can never be fully assimilated.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:13 AM

22,357 posts, read 11,881,460 times
Quote:
I don't understand this idea that immigrants don't speak English. I only see this with immigrants that came to the US when they were older. But those that came to the US when they were 30 or younger speak English-- even if poorly and with a heavy accent. When you are older and poorer it is difficult to learn a new language. Young people -- especially teenagers however can pick up a new language quickly.

I worked with a lot of Puerto Ricans in my hometown when I worked as a cashier, and they all spoke English. Occasionally they would speak Spanish among themselves, but they spoke English to the customers and the English speaking Americans.

And even if immigrants don't speak English, it is not like this is passed down to their US born children. Many of them speak their parents language poorly to be honest(think JLO). You see this with a lot of US born children of Puerto Rican and Dominican parents. This is a phony issue. I only see this issue in maybe parts of Miami and LA where the immigrants are residentially segregated and make up a large part of the city.
You ought to visit some parts of this country where you will find many who are 30 or younger and can barely speak English.

As for Puerto Ricans---they are not immigrants, they are American citizens. Of course you will find that the majority are bilingual.

You also don't know this --- many illegal aliens from south of the border are functionally illiterate in Spanish. When they get here, they don't even make an effort to learn English. So, when they birth anchor babies, the kids don't learn English and the Spanish they do know is atrocious. They start school not knowing their colors and can't tell red from blue. Teachers will tell you that these kids never fully catch up.

Old 07-18-2015, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
We're talking about assimilating to America... not assimilating to whites.

Clearly you have no idea about what you're talking about. Cause and effect is not a white concept as it's origins go back to Buddhism and predates contemporary philosophy. Trying to talk about America and psychology while displaying your ignorance of both topics is not helping you in any way.
Other than black Americans, America was 95-100% white European from its founding up till the 1960s onward. Who else were you going to assimilate to? You progressive can try but you will never purge American history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.