Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 03:02 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I have to agree. Why come here if you don't want to be an American? I live in an area with two large immigrant populations and they do not assimilate. I really wonder why they came here. Why move somewhere and then try to make it like the place you left? Sometimes I feel like we're being invaded.

There is a saying that if you are not with me you are against me. I'll second wondering where their loyalties lie. My grandparents came here to become American. They learned the language and adopted an American lifestyle. They came here because they wanted to be American. It seems like new immigrants don't want that. They seem to want to make this country like the one they left which begs the question why leave it? Why not improve where they were since that is the lifestyle they obviously want? I suspect we're being taken advantage of and once the gravy train runs out America will be like the country they left.
It's called colonization. They're here digging for gold or maybe its handed to them, and here for a hit and run on the native women (or men for a green card) and set up their colony and assert their sociopolitical group over the native-European one. They have a great ally to tear down American culture with the progressive/communist, Zionist, and nowadays progressive corporations.

Last edited by mtl1; 07-17-2015 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-17-2015, 03:11 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I'm an immigrant.
I'm not going to be an American. I have my own culture and my own values.

The only things that a decent person is obligated in USA is to pay taxes and obey the law. All the other stuff... Sorry, you cannot force me to love baseball, eat hot-dogs and to think that two men kissing is not disgusting.
If your post is for real, then why are you here? Because someplace you're from was getting bombed?

Instead of thanking your lucky stars that you were able to immigrate here (I hope legally), you pay us back by refusing to embrace our culture and become a part of society. If you hate the culture here, then why did you come here? There are other countries in this world that might be more to your liking. Think about this---there are many, many people in this world who would gladly trade places with you and those people want to truly be a part of this country.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
It is funny that today, Chinese Americans are considered the model immigrant yet 100 years ago they were the most loathed and scorned with the same accusations and aspersions being made on today's ethnic immigrant whipping boy.
China could've completely colonized California and on ward other wise. Colonizers should be resisted. Europeans certainly were by the existing Amerindians nations. Why should China been given a colonization for free card? Get a grip on reality. Asians are model 'minority' in the sense that they shatter all proglibs myths that other non-whites can't be successful because of "white privilege!" and "white supremacy!". But they are horrible competitors to Americans who don't want to live as they do.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If your post is for real, then why are you here? Because someplace you're from was getting bombed?

Instead of thanking your lucky stars that you were able to immigrate here (I hope legally), you pay us back by refusing to embrace our culture and become a part of society. If you hate the culture here, then why did you come here? There are other countries in this world that might be more to your liking. Think about this---there are many, many people in this world who would gladly trade places with you and those people want to truly be a part of this country.
They don't even hide it. They disrespect Americans, bleed us dry and spit in our faces. Gee, I wonder why many Americans want to reform post 1964 immigration law and policy ?

Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Some people came from countries where shells falling on their heads. So they moved to a place without bombing.
That will have bombing thanks to bringing in their culture.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Interesting - since he was involved in MMA fighting.

Chattanooga Shooter Muhammad Abdulazeez's Cage Fighting Past

You're right on the assimilation thoughts - the evidence is everywhere.

Anyone can contribute at a certain point in time. Buying into the idea of who and what America is - is totally another thing.
Agreed and how.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM

674 posts, read 611,455 times
fat lou, you're very obviously speaking from a place of ignorance, so I'll try to refrain from insulting you too much. It'll be difficult, though.

Try not to be such an unapologetic racist. Seriously. "What's so great about [culture I don't understand or know anything about]?" Seriously? That attitude shows that you aren't even concerned with trying to learn anything. You're just sitting squarely in your little land of privilege and looking down on people who come from places with scary names.

Ivorytickler, you're asking too much of people. First generation immigrants, especially people driving out of their homelands, are often a bit older, and old people have trouble learning new languages. It's really easy for you to sit there and insist that someone learn an extremely difficult language (as English is to a lot of immigrants, especially those whose first languages are not Indo-European). They don't owe you a conversation. They don't have to cater to you when they fill the market niche of businesses with advertisements and signs in other languages.

Their kids speak English just fine, for what it's worth.

Really, how entitled do you have to be to insist that people need to cater their business and marketing plans to your preferences in their neighborhoods? You're already part of the dominant culture is a very well-off country. You've got it made. Almost everyone already caters to you.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

I'm a part of the society. I speak English, I pay a lot of taxes to feed all those fat and lazy, I'm not a criminal. My relationship with USA are strictly business. America gives me right to work and make money, I pay taxes and abide the law. I don't hate most of the local culture, I just don't care.
Why I'm here? Pure coincidence. One day I was bored and played the green card lottery just for fun. And after winning I thought to myself why not to try to live in US few years.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
This is textbook redneck racism. Apparently "assimilation" means "becoming just like typical white people," as if those are the only Americans.

Maybe it's a good thing that newcomers often reject American values. After all, many values held in such high esteem here are rather questionable. (That's assuming we can settle on one representative set of values, which is, of course, ridiculous.) Many of the immigrants here do a better job of living peaceful, family-oriented lives than most Americans do. I think it's about time that Americans learned from other cultures.
Nothing wrong with assimilating to Middle Class American culture which ain't a race. If that bugs a person that much: they can leave. I don't care about their feelings if they immigrated legally AND still want to hold on to their old ways IF they don't fit into our culture like some Muslims and genital mutlation, illegal aliens are lawbreakers and just need to leave here. Period.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:11 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I would argue a person can be very beneficial and contribute greatly to America without becoming "Americanized".
You are wrong and clearly part of the problem. But thanks for being honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies