Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Was More at Fault???
Sandra 32 60.38%
Police 17 32.08%
I can't choose. They are exactly equally at fault. 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
Based on the support for dirty cops in this thread and others, it is easy to see how groups like the Gestapo and Stasi could get away with their abuses. This idea that citizens are supposed to bow down and obey cops like they are gods or monarchs runs counter to every principle this country was founded on. This is how fascist authoritarianism becomes a part of day to day life while the people brave enough to challenge it are criticized for allowing themselves to get murdered.
I'm a fan of cops.........except when they are wrong.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No, he just decided to escalate the situation because she was.

There was nothing to investigate. She was pulled over for not signaling. He handed her the warning, end of story. Or it should have been.
I dont disagree that he was pushing it a little…. but how do you know he wasn't trying to see if there was something else he wanted to look into? In any other situation…. an officer is well within legal boundaries to require a person to put out a cigarette if they are in detention...

Old 07-22-2015, 12:27 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
I dont disagree that he was pushing it a little….
Officers that do that need removed from duty. Period. He is supposed to be the professional. Some people rarely get pulled over and it's natural to be upset over it. It's his place to understand that and not escalate things.

Quote:
but how do you know he wasn't trying to see if there was something else he wanted to look into? In any other situation…. an officer is well within legal boundaries to require a person to put out a cigarette if they are in detention...
You are under no obligation to not smoke in your car. If the officer does not see another offense, he needs to move on.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
How dare you say citizens are not supposed to kowtow when they see a police officer I thought the Tang Dynasty was running Texas.
your attitude is exactly why, kids get killed....I really hope and pray you don't have children, b/c this attitude gets handed down generation after generation.....

When a cop stops you, it's easy, just shut your mouth and do what he says....period.

Unbelievable, I wouldn't even talk to my parents or an adult the way some of you "think" it's ok to do.

This woman was above and beyond the norm....and if she had put her cig out, she'd probably be alive today...this attitude she projected comes from a multitude of places, including family, which is not good or safe for any child growing up.

I just cannot believe the belligerence, in some of you, and glad your not my kid, husband, mother, sister, what ever. Out and out contrary on purpose, which will get you dead.

Your all idiots....honest ta goodness idiots...why would you intentionally antagonise an officer? Or anyone for that matter?

Old 07-22-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Officers that do that need removed from duty. Period. He is supposed to be the professional. Some people rarely get pulled over and it's natural to be upset over it. It's his place to understand that and not escalate things.
We agree there… cops are trained to diffuse… they are taught that their words are their strongest weapon. The majority of cops are role models and great, but some aren't… so yes, we agree with that.

Quote:
You are under no obligation to not smoke in your car. If the officer does not see another offense, he needs to move on.
This is where we don't agree… you can smoke in your car all you want --- until you are stopped for a violation. At that point, it's not your call anymore… it's the officer's. I don't understand how people don't get that…

Old 07-22-2015, 12:32 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,169,314 times
Quote:
I dont disagree that he was pushing it a little…. but how do you know he wasn't trying to see if there was something else he wanted to look into? In any other situation…. an officer is well within legal boundaries to require a person to put out a cigarette if they are in detention...
Look into what?

What was going on that gave me a reason to think that anything sinister or illegal was occurring beyond not using a turning signal? It's not enough to say, well you know, I read a case where x y z happened, and although I won't be able to explain to a judge a single thing that led me to believe x y z occurred, I decided to overstep my boundaries and investigate it anyway.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
your attitude is exactly why, kids get killed....I really hope and pray you don't have children, b/c this attitude gets handed down generation after generation.....

When a cop stops you, it's easy, just shut your mouth and do what he says....period.

Unbelievable, I wouldn't even talk to my parents or an adult the way some of you "think" it's ok to do.

This woman was above and beyond the norm....and if she had put her cig out, she'd probably be alive today...this attitude she projected comes from a multitude of places, including family, which is not good or safe for any child growing up.

I just cannot believe the belligerence, in some of you, and glad your not my kid, husband, mother, sister, what ever. Out and out contrary on purpose, which will get you dead.

Your all idiots....honest ta goodness idiots...why would you intentionally antagonise an officer? Or anyone for that matter?
This is what america has become unfortunately. Fueled by the media, and some bent politicians. It's scary...

Old 07-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Look into what?

What was going on that gave me a reason to think that anything sinister or illegal was occurring beyond not using a turning signal? It's not enough to say, well you know, I read a case where x y z happened, and although I won't be able to explain to a judge a single thing that led me to believe x y z occurred, I decided to overstep my boundaries and investigate it anyway.
So… you think because it was such a minor violation, nothing else should be looked into? How is life in fantasy land?

Some of the biggest case law from this country came from something as simple as littering. Do you remember how Timothy McVeigh was caught? Broken tail light.

Head. In. Clouds.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,248,767 times
Quote:
This is what america has become unfortunately. Fueled by the media, and some bent politicians. It's scary...
Yes, it is...I just saw a video of a bunch of black kids, who attacked and beat up a man for having the Southern flag....I couldn't believe it? And I'm talking maybe 6 or 10 kids kicking him, someone had a bat....and then when the cops blare their sirens, they all run like flies...pathetic....

These kids get it from their parents, their aunts, uncles, older brothers....and it's going to eventually lead them down the wrong path....its so sad, so very sad, that parents don't wise up....

DEAD is DEAD, there is no coming back, no second chance, and if you take a life, your no better the pond scum....beating up on someone is animalistic...and so totally wrong...

Old 07-22-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, it is...I just saw a video of a bunch of black kids, who attacked and beat up a man for having the Southern flag....I couldn't believe it? And I'm talking maybe 6 or 10 kids kicking him, someone had a bat....and then when the cops blare their sirens, they all run like flies...pathetic....

These kids get it from their parents, their aunts, uncles, older brothers....and it's going to eventually lead them down the wrong path....its so sad, so very sad, that parents don't wise up....

DEAD is DEAD, there is no coming back, no second chance, and if you take a life, your no better the pond scum....beating up on someone is animalistic...and so totally wrong...
And now they are learning it's okay from the media and politicians…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.