Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 PM

920 posts, read 931,431 times

Advertisements

They are raising the minimum wage here to $10 per hour Jan 2016 which will boot off many food stamp recipients.

This means they will be buying much of their own food so that hopefully, will give a little more self worth.

A booster to want to buy more healthy foods, and better ability to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Had a job selling food to school districts whilst in college and was paid surprisingly well for it; it really is crap not fit for humans.

I also learned government cheese, pork, and beef is a real thing on that job too. Even the rich school districts got a lot of it.
Interesting. We are a "rich" school district here. I live in the 9th most expensive County out of 52 Counties in California and we get a ton of empty calories in the kids meals. Some stuff is so bad for you it's unimaginable they serve it

Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,068 times
Healthy food is more expensive. That is a fact.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:10 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Um that is not "double dipping" you have some bizarre thoughts. They are two different programs in which a poor person may qualify.
It is indeed double-dipping. The parents/guardians get food stamp benefits to feed their children while the kids are also getting free meals at school.

Please pay careful attention to the fact that 74% of the households receiving food stamps have children, and the poor who receive food stamps have a MUCH higher rate of obesity than the poor who do not.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It is indeed double-dipping. The parents/guardians get food stamp benefits to feed their children while the kids are also getting free meals at school.

Please pay careful attention to the fact that 74% of the households receiving food stamps have children, and the poor who receive food stamps have a MUCH higher rate of obesity than the poor who do not.
I have, you've told us this. Of course the poor who are in such dire straights they sign up for food stamps are going to be heavier, they can only afford junk. We were poor but didn't sign up for food stamps though we easily qualified at one time or more. Why? We had other resources which allowed us food at the time.

And a free lunch of so called "food" for the kids doesn't = real food. It's more chemicals and drugs to get addicted to. Even here where we live in a very expensive area with wealthy school districts.
It is what it is. All this is no surprise. To change the outcome is to teach people how to GARDEN so they can provide for themselves some real food which is much less expensive. And provides a true, positive outcome regarding their health

Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Is healthy food really more expensive? - TODAY.com

Looks like another liberal myth debunked. As usual, the liberal chain of propaganda falls like dominos.
Quote:
When price of edible weight or price per portion were used to determine costs, the researchers found healthy foods like toasted oat cereal (a grain), vegetables, fruits, and low-fat milk and plain, low-fat yogurt (dairy) were more affordable than most protein foods (lean roast beef, chicken breast, or canned tuna ) and other less healthful ‘moderation foods’ — foods that typically pack in an excess amount of saturated fat, added sugar, and/or sodium.
Vegetables are less expensive than meat. Yeah, we knew that.

Michelle Obama tried to get them to eat right, but the right wing said she was taking away their freedom to be fat.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,589,701 times
portion control + good sleep + exercises will fix this problem.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 PM

13 posts, read 22,427 times
I was on food stamps for almost a year. I totally milked the system. I sold soft drugs for income and used the stamps as a supplement. Some variant of this game is the way of life for almost everyone I knew/know on food stamps.

I feel no shame in this. Honestly I'm proud of it. I made something of myself through selling a dot com, but if I hadn't lucked into that I'd be the average low class, college debt saddled white kid that has no chance in life.

Milking the system >wage slavery. Being an honorable sucker is still being a sucker.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorsyGal View Post
Of course the poor who are in such dire straights they sign up for food stamps are going to be heavier, they can only afford junk.
The poor who DON'T receive food stamps AREN'T heavier. What do you not understand about that?

Old 07-18-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The poor who DON'T receive food stamps AREN'T heavier. What do you not understand about that?
Just stop.

Back away from the computer, take a breather

You've misunderstood in shortening my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies