Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 09:51 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,952,808 times

Advertisements

[quote=OFarrell;40492909]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Wow.
Just wow.

Hear that folks?
Don't aspire to anything. Don't try to give yourself or your children a better life. It will all be for naught.

People like Dr. Ben Carson take that ghetto they grew up in with them everywhere they go, doncha know.

As for the OP: the fair housing act needs to be enforced.
As is painfully evident from many of the responses in this thread, there is some large segment of the population that honestly believes that poor people do not deserve to live in areas that have good schools, safe streets and reasonably priced grocery stores. They would rather they stay in their place so that their children can be forever branded as "thugs" by virtue of their address.

The same people that bemoan non-assimilation on the part of recent immigrants do not want poor American citizens to assimilate into middle-class society.
Oh, they'll talk a good game about how people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and get off welfare but they will block those aspirations at every turn by shutting them out of the opportunities that would help them to do so.
As evidenced by the quote above, they don't really believe that change is possible.
And, it's so important to have someone, somewhere to look down on.[
/QUOTE]

You are not getting it -

It's about social manipulation/affirmative housing, fines for perceived racism and a disappearing, tax-paying Middle Class.
Feel free to allow those speakers blaring Big K.R.I.T at 37 cycles on the street for hours at a time while the vehicle powering them sits double parked under the window of somebody's study space because it's chill and he ain't bothering nobody and [get] out of his face because food and sneakers and heavy white Target bags stuffed with new clothes are too effortless to come by with public assistance now and so this is available with the pocket change that doesn't have to go for that [mundane stuff] and why the [hell] is it any of your busines-...consideration (?) what the [heck] are you tawkin' 'bout [go away] [you]. We're movin' on up.

Last edited by mm4; 07-20-2015 at 10:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 PM

209 posts, read 133,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You're right, because I was the one who realized what this thread was really about, and since pointing that out a number of fear mongering posters have proved me right.

As for who lives in my neighborhood, I have never claimed that people that are on section 8 vouchers don't live near me. I actually don't worry about the income levels of my neighbors. But you keep thinking nonwhite poor people are out to get you.
You don't realize what this policy means in the long run…Thus, you don't know what this thread is about and have steered it away from the essence of the matter at hand...

Old 07-20-2015, 10:33 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,756,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The goal here is very evident - to start dividing and breaking down solid conservative rural communities and small towns.
I believe that you are right. In this town of about 80,000 people there has been a steady influx of people from inner city ghettos. A couple of weeks ago one of those ghetto types tried to rape a local girl. It got front page news etc. but there will be more of that kind of stuff in this once peaceful Midwest community. There will be break inns, robberies, a lot of drugs, murders, etc. and it is happening already. But there is nothing that anyone can do about it because the government that is behind bringing these people in is all powerful. It is really sad for the local people here to lose their community that they grew up in. It is happening all over and in much smaller towns also.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 34,994,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Wow, you just make stuff up by the ream don't you? Nothing like a heaping helping of utopian drivel.
It is a better solution that works rather thanot the nonsense fear mongering that comes from the right wing.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Never fails, pointing out facts is always 'fear mongering' to leftists because they are terrified of facts.
Facts haven't been given, all that has come from your base is criminals will move in if section 8 housing is allowed. That is a false narrative meant to fear monger.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:

As is painfully evident from many of the responses in this thread,
there is some large segment of the population that honestly believes that poor
people do not deserve to live in areas that have good schools, safe streets and
reasonably priced grocery stores. They would rather they stay in their place so
that their children can be forever branded as "thugs" by virtue of their
address.

Hate to disappoint you but recent history shows over and over again that those poor inner city kids that move for good schools, safe streets and reasonably priced grocery stores eventually change a neighborhood to the type of place that they were fleeing from in the first place. No it isn't little kids but little kids don't come alone to a new town they come with a lot of grown ups. The fact is you can flee the ghetto but when they do they bring the ghetto with them to the new town that they move to. Sorry if it sounds racist and I know it isn't political correct but it is the truth.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Not really. I can tell you in the Burbs where the Sec8 apartments are in most cases. Crime increases and the schools go to crap in their ratings. Once the schools go down, people who value education move on to better schools.

We got hit heavy by Katrina victims who never went home since they enjoyed their benefits here in TX.
The recession had more of an impact than Katrina. Were more section 8 apartments built in your suburb? What was the percentage of Section 8 people living in your suburb before and after Katrina?

Old 07-20-2015, 10:44 PM

22,282 posts, read 11,778,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Facts haven't been given, all that has come from your base is criminals will move in if section 8 housing is allowed. That is a false narrative meant to fear monger.
What can I say other than you are incredibly naive.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:

The same people that bemoan non-assimilation on the part of recent
immigrants do not want poor American citizens to assimilate into middle-class
society.

What people are you talking about. I have never know anyone that didn't want poor American citizens to assimilate into the middle class. If fact most people would like to see poor people do better no matter what race or religion.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 PM

22,282 posts, read 11,778,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post

What people are you talking about. I have never know anyone that didn't want poor American citizens to assimilate into the middle class. If fact most people would like to see poor people do better no matter what race or religion.
^Exactly! My father grew up poor. He served in WWII and went to college on the GI Bill. That college education led him to a successful white collar career with the government. I have other similar stories in my extended family.

It's absurd to say that people don't want to see poor people succeed. Actually, it's inspiring to hear about people who grew up dirt poor and pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.

ETA: And there was no Section 8 housing when my father grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies