Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not true. Neighborhoods decline based on the type of people living there and how they take care of their property.
I can only tell you what I've seen first-hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 09:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I can only tell you what I've seen first-hand.
Now WHY do they leave ? Because undesirables moved in and didn't take care of the property..right ?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,486,726 times
Quote:
Now WHY do they leave ? Because undesirables moved in and didn't take care of the property..right ?
How did the "undesirables" move in, if there wasn't a place for them?

Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
The reason this is being done at all is because welfare seekers have turned many of their existing neighborhoods into hellholes. Given enough time, those neighborhoods become urban prairie. The same thing will happen to any new neighborhoods to which they are moved. Given their lack of reliable transportation, this will be in the vicinity of mass transit stops.

Plan accordingly.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I bet HUD thinks if they get rid of ghettos then they will get rid of inner city blight and crime.
Spread them out thin and they won't cause trouble..eh ?

Old 07-21-2015, 11:05 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
I bet HUD thinks if they get rid of ghettos then they will get rid of inner city blight and crime.
Spread them out thin and they won't cause trouble..eh ?

Every community will become a "Peyton Place" and neighbors will keep an eye on and report questionable or suspicious activity to the authorities.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:08 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,386,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Uh huh...sure they did.

What inspections did they go through?

When did they apply to rent to an HCV tenant?

Also, if the tenant doesn't pay their 30% the landlord still gets 70% from the local housing authority so they got some money.

An eviction, if done expeditiously and by someone who knows what they are doing rarely takes longer than 3 months.

All HCV tenants (Section 8) go through background checks and thy are not eligible to be an HCV tenant if they have a criminal background.

Sounds to me like your parents rented to an unresponsible person who you are trying to claim is a Section 8 tenant. As stated above, there is a pretty in depth process to get one's house accepted in to the HCV program and the landlord has to sign a contract with the housing authority to be eligible to rent to HCV/Section 8 tenants. If your parents didn't do all that, they weren't Section 8 landlords. Also if the tenant was a HCV recipient and if your parents informed the housing authority that the tenant wasn't paying rent, then the housing authority would look into it and get that tenant kicked out of the HCV program.

ETA: In regards to re-certification (keeping HCV status) tenants don't have to go into the office every year to do that anymore. They just submit income verification papers from their jobs to show they are still eligible. It is very rare that an HCV recipient doesn't re-certify as required unless they actually are a criminal or got arrested during the course of the year and they have been kicked out of the HCV program. In that case, your parents would have been notified by the housing authority and if your scenario is correct, they can get the tenant removed due to lack of rent. As stated, it doesn't take 7 months. I am a landlord (though not a Section 8 landlord as due to me formerly working for and with housing authorities, I don't qualify to be a landlord) and I have had to process an eviction before and I have had tenants removed within 2 months from my property.
You may be correct. My retired parents would not know to do all of that. All they told me was the person SAID she got a Section 8 voucher and that is how she would be paying rent and that she never bothered to go downtown to sign some forms. I stand corrected.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:20 PM

222 posts, read 231,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Except I never said that weather in New England can show the global climate is not warming up.

My output on the subject includes examples from around the world. If you care to, you can refer to my comments on it in their entireties by linking to those spots in the upper right of each where the post numbers appear with hashes in front of them, instead of fictitiously or ineptly paraphrasing my published commentary.

Post #46
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ing-now-5.html

Of course if you want to claim that what EastCoastRefugee2 infers from your statement is untrue, go ahead. But the facts are you attempted a refutation of global warming by saying inferring that when snow piles up and doesn't melt it is because the planet is not warming up.

please, feel free to gig a deeper hole. I'll gladly supply a New England Winter's worth of shovels

Old 07-21-2015, 01:22 PM

222 posts, read 231,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many rural areas are quite depressed and would like to see that property inhabited.
I don't see how that adds to your claim. There would be numbers enough to turn conservative counties liberal?

Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:

Many people now a days leave stable neighborhoods due to lack of opportunities in their particular areas. Many areas within the past 5 years have only just begun to deal with issues related to blight and heavy populations shifts from the northern part of the country to the south in particular. Where I live a lot of people have moved away due to them feeling they had better job prospects in other cities or parts of the country. They leave houses that they own to go somewhere else and vacant homes do indeed draw crime and other illicit activities whereby the regular working or middle class folks who stayed in the area now move to another part of town in order to escape those ills.

Blight and abandonment of homes has nothing to do with public housing or section 8 and is a major contributor to people leaving their neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies