Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The middle class are also welfare seekers, they too get plenty of government handouts. And what is your issue with mass transit and this nonsense that only the poor use mass transit?
Given you are likely talking about your mom, that's your perspective.

What does someone who lives in the whitest city in America even know about this topic? Nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 11:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Given you are likely talking about your mom, that's your perspective.

What does someone who lives in the whitest city in America even know about this topic? Nothing.
Ah, sweet, a personal attack. Tell us more about how accepting you are or whatever as you try and deflect what I said.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:40 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
What you said was a deflection. Middle class people aren't using Section 8 housing vouchers. Only welfare seekers are.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
What you said was a deflection. Middle class people aren't using Section 8 housing vouchers. Only welfare seekers are.
And this bothers you why? Mad that people who might make less than you can also live in a home?

Old 07-23-2015, 01:00 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Apparent to you doesn't mean the rest of us are racists or bigots.

Poverty, crime and disregard for property doesn't have a skin color.
A lot of people who are around the color of a brown paper bag and them some also don't want to live with the dregs and losers of society if they can afford not to.

On Point with Tomi Lahren: What Happens When we Send a "Community Organizer" to the WH? HUD Utopias!

[/quote]

Last edited by kovert; 07-23-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And this bothers you why? Mad that people who might make less than you can also live in a home?
What angers people is many times the people who make less or make nothing are pefectly capable of making more.
There needs to be reform to eliminate the flaws in the system.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
What angers people is many times the people who make less or make nothing are pefectly capable of making more.
There needs to be reform to eliminate the flaws in the system.
Maybe, maybe not, though these flaws you talk about would require more money to properly investigate each person to make sure they are indeed on needed programs for good reasons.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The realities of the economic and social divide amongst Americans along racial lines is maintained by racially segregated neighborhoods.

The idea that poverty rates justifies racial segregation is illogical.

The idea that well to do black Americans live in the same kinds if neighborhoods as well to do white people is just an ignorant uninformed belief on your part. Do done research into racial segregation and housing and the kinds of neighborhoods black and white Americans of similar incomes reside. They are radically different because of racial segregation.

As far as your question, yes it's a much better idea to end racial segregation then to maintain racial segregation.

The only way to say no to ending racial segregation is based on the belief that America's housing policy should protect certain groups who are good and worthy of having good neighborhoods, by sacrificing the lives of tens of millions of other Americans, whom you deem suspect and undeserving if good neighborhoods on the basis of their skin color. This is an untenable position
You ignored the entire premise of my argument and bullishly plow through an argument that not only ignores fact, but seeks to cast an unprovable (and wildly inaccurate) thought process for somebody you do not know.

I've posted previously of things that residents of these neighborhoods can do, along with things that municipalities, states, and the federal government has done in an attempt to help. I've seen this from living in the streets and hearing gunshots often. There are ways to make it out of the ghetto.

To continue to lie to yourself and think that the president, or any number of black politicians, or Operah, or so on and so forth live amongst the hoodrats (or ever will) in 90%+ black neighborhoods is blind. For example: Anthony Davis (a basketball star in the NBA) lives in a neighborhood that is primarily white: Old Metairie in the suburb of Metairie. Various New Orleans Saints football players live in St. Tammany Parish, which is the most affluent Parish in the state. And the most conservative. And the most white in the metro. Many performers, real estate moguls, and business owners here are black, they surely don't live in the 3rd ward, lower 9th, etc. which are the neighborhoods divided almost strictly by race.

Sadly, after everything I've said, you'll probably only focus on the following sentence: The problem to me isn't in the majority white neighborhoods, it's in the economically depressed majority black neighborhoods, and that needs to change, and the ball is in their court at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
The majority of upper income blacks live in segregated, predominantly black neighborhoods.

Many black people choose to live in segregated communities just like whites. Many black businessmen live in the ghetto - yes.

Our society is VERY much racially segregated. For you to not see that is kind of odd IMO as it is a well known fact.

In you example, as stated in my response above, what is going to happen to that neighborhood is that HUD is going to encourage the local housing authority to demolish public housing and re-build a new mixed-use/mixed income community. They will temporarily move the residents via vouchers. When the new community is finished, they will invite the residents to come back to the new development. the majority of them will. they will rent out the remaining units to higher income earners and decrease economic segregation and in many cases racial segregation in that particular area (and FWIW, then start a whole series of more trouble with gentrification lol!).

I have seen this same scenario time and time again. Many of the responses to this thread are based on a gut reaction to not wanting blacks to live by them (based on the concept of black inferiority and us being thugs/cirminals) instead of actual facts about these sorts of housing programs.

And FWIW, on self segregation by blacks, it is primarily based upon the fact that black people, including myself as I have self segregated as well in certain places I have lived, do not want to constantly be looked at as criminals or our kids as thugs just because some scaredy person is automatically afraid of black criminals. I am a married mother of 2 and my family is considered "upper income." Yet we live in a working class neighborhood. I find working class people to be nicer than snooty rich people and luckily since I moved back to my hometown, I am fortunate to live in a neighborhood that is not segregated due to the fact that most white people around here aren't afraid of blacks like they are in other parts of the country. Many are, but it is not as evident as other places I have lived.
There ya go. That's your choice. I live in a racially diverse neighborhood as well. See, blacks do live along whites. It is possible. Snooty *** rich people annoy me too. You couldn't pay me enough to move to those neighborhoods. There are bigots in those neighborhoods, no doubt. Perhaps not necessarily bigots towards blacks (which does exist to some extent and is ignored / excused), but areas like tend to believe that their lives and values are superior.

Also, for any experience of *******s among the white race - sometimes people have to take it on the chin and move on. I've had doors slammed in my face because I'm white as well (figuratively and literally). It doesn't affect the way I think of racially diverse neighborhoods.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
And clearly in America we continue the racist idea that criminal behavior is caused by/connected to skin color and that most members with a particular skin color are criminals which justifies racially segregating from that skin color.

These are both outrageously racist beliefs that don't justify the continued existence of racially segregated neighborhoods.
Not connected to just skin color, but genetically inheritable mental and personality traits. E Asians aren't white but have an high IQ and have high achievement and low violent crime similar to whites.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Most likely cities like Martha's Vineyard and Saddlebrook will be exempt, right?

What is really needed is public HUD housing in Mark Zuckerberg's home town of Atherton, CA where the average price of a home is several million. They need the diversity so why aren't they asking for it?
Zuck has all the diversity he wants in the hb1 Indians he imports into the country via his political pals.

Instead of going into the depressed inner city and opening up computer science training classes he gets cheap imported labor with the blessings of the politicians the middle class put into power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies