Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Relations are not normal until I have my Havana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you would've asked me a few years ago whether or not it would happen within the next decade, I'd have said no.

But here we are...treating a family member in our own hemisphere as an equal...the same way we treat nations that aren't in our hemisphere and have little in common with us.

I hope that we as Americans have finally learned something about the futility of bullying and attempting to subjugate other nations with 'might makes right' foreign policies.

Doubt it though.
'Trust and respect': U.S., Cuba officially renew relations after 5 decades via Yahoo News Digest

https://yho.com/newsdigestall
I agree with most of that.

Hard to look at our relations with Cuba though outside of the parameters of the cold war but certainly the US has behaved badly at times throughout it's "Sphere of Influence".

By the same token the Cubans got Animal Farmed by Fidel & friends so as usual it's the average joe or juan or wei getting caught between two opposing jerks that pay the biggest price.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
"shrugs" Just another knife in our back by Obama. Nothing to see here.
Think about it again from an objective viewpoint.

If anyone is going to get screwed by this it's going to be Hillary.

Obama just "Elian Gonzalezed" her Florida election chances should she be nominated. This alone should have you grinning from ear to ear. Based upon past voting patterns this arguably cost Hillary 100k or more votes in Florida.

If anything this is going to hasten the capitalistic movement in Cuba and also help civil rights. Our embargo has long been used by Castro etc. as an excuse for their own failures.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Now, American tourists will no longer go to Cuban resorts via Canada! Direct flights, baby!

Mick
Carnival Cruises plans to make limited port calls in Cuba in 2016.

They will initially use a smaller ship from one of their subsidiaries because Cuban ports cannot, at this time, handle 3000 passengers a day.

Carnival can be expected to make a huge investment in Cuba, going forward.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:01 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I would love to go to Cuba, but not under the current government. I feel there is still danger there, even if you're not upsetting the Castro apple cart.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
It's ridiculous that it took so long to normalize relations with Cuba...it's the only good thing I can think of that Obama's actually done in his Presidency.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:07 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
It's ridiculous that it took so long to normalize relations with Cuba...it's the only good thing I can think of that Obama's actually done in his Presidency.
Agreed. If you want to throw out a Dictator like Castro just open up Capitalism to their system.

Should have been done 30 years ago.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:54 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
This "Deal" with Cuba is much better than the one made with Iran. At least the average Cuban isn't in he streets shouting "Death to America"

I know someone who has been to Cuba twice and she thinks it and the people are amazing.
Time will tell what opening relations does to Cuba. Will we be seeing Taco Bells and drug stores on every corner or luxury resorts for the rich while the poor still live in squalor outside the fence a few blocks away like it is on some other Caribbean islands?

In the end opening up Cuba is good for business.
The average Iranian is more supportive of US than an average person in Saudi Arabia. Even though Saudi is considered an ally and Iran an enemy.

A large portion of Iranians are sick and tired of the Iranian Government. In 2009 for the first time since the Islamic Revolution of 1979, the Iranians came in massive numbers on the streets of Tehran. People thought that finally the oppressive regime will be toppled. Shockingly Obama was mute on the issue for the the first week, many secular Iranians across U.S. pleaded Obama to increae sanction or give a speech condemning the regime, but nothing came. The only regime Obama has supported are the Islamists regime like the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_Green_Movement

Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If you would've asked me a few years ago whether or not it would happen within the next decade, I'd have said no.

But here we are...treating a family member in our own hemisphere as an equal...the same way we treat nations that aren't in our hemisphere and have little in common with us.

I hope that we as Americans have finally learned something about the futility of bullying and attempting to subjugate other nations with 'might makes right' foreign policies.

Doubt it though.
'Trust and respect': U.S., Cuba officially renew relations after 5 decades via Yahoo News Digest

https://yho.com/newsdigestall
Lots of truth in that and I am on record as approving this move by the administration.

However, before we all start swooning about palm trees and rum, it is fair to remember:
  • Castro did plenty to ruin relations.
  • Both Carter and Clinton wanted to restore relations, but Castro scuttled the attempts.

It has not been a one-way street. But, time for a new approach.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:06 AM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Agreed. If you want to throw out a Dictator like Castro just open up Capitalism to their system.

Should have been done 30 years ago.
Yup. It did the trick for Eastern Europe. McDonalds, IKEA and lots of gently used cars has done more for democracy than any speech you'd care to mention. Plus it'll p.ss off Putin, and that's always worth doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies