Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,597,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The only explanation I can think of is that the Fort Hood killings were identified as 'work place violence' (since the shooter was also a member of the military). If the killer had been non-military, I assume the flags would not have been lowered, since they were then have been killed in the 'line of duty'.
Oh really.. Interesting..

A Canadian soldier Sergeant Andrew Joseph Doiron was killed Friday, March 6 in what the Canadian Armed Forces are calling a friendly-fire incident.

The Canadian prime minister said in a statement. “Sergeant Doiron lost his life in the line of duty. We will honour and remember his service to Canada,"

My friend lost his one arm due to friendly fire, he received a purple heart.

You lowered the flag for Fort Hood soldiers, you lower the flag for these Marines. They all lost their lives in the line of duty. You (the general term you) can call that work place violence all you want, the Fort hood soldiers lost their lives in the line of duty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Obama promised; "to fight negative stereotypes of Islam wherever they appear."

Problem is Islam is NOT a religion of peace. To save the ugly face of Islam being exposed, he will sacrifice even his country.
What is the foundation for this belief? Obama's overseen the killings of more Islamic terrorists than any other president.

His rhetoric has expressed no tolerance for the violent aspects of Islam. If you want him to say that all Muslims are violent, that's just not true. People who engage with Muslims regularly know that and people who only experience them through media have a distorted view of their reality.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The "right wing" media was wrong about the Witney Houston claim. However, the flags were lowered for those killed at mass shootings at the Aurora Theater, Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech (Bush's tenure). So, why not this one? Are US Marines killed by Islamic terrorists on US soil somehow of less value than those killed by the mentally ill? This CiC seems to have more contempt for the US military than any president in history. Hillary is the only candidate that I can think of that comes close to him.

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed of my country. Or at least those we have chosen as leaders to represent her.
People throw around the names of all these incidents of mass murders so nonchalantly. We've become so immune to the gun violence in this country that these incidents are meaningless unless one side can use them as a weapon against the other. Instead of being horrified about how many of these things occur over and over and over again--at a pace of one every two weeks--we're bickering about whether it's proper etiquette to lower the flag to commemorate each one.

I, too, am ashamed of my country in this regard, Toyman. I'm ashamed that people continue to be routinely slaughtered in mass gun violence and all my fellow Americans here on C-D care about is whether a politician lowered a flag.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
all my fellow Americans here on C-D care about is whether a politician lowered a flag.
Except this is not ALL people care about.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:01 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
If Obama had lived his formative years within the country and not Indonesia, perhaps he would have had more love and passion for his country.
So military children or State Department children aren't American enough? What about the immigrant presidential candidate Ted Cruz who was not raised here?

Xenophobes who don't want leaders to experience other cultures or learn how other people think and behave? You were raised so differently than the cosmopolitan culture of my upbringing in the U.S.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Except this is not ALL people care about.
In this thread it is. This thread is not about the victims of this particular shooting--no one truly cares about them. This is all a political mud fight about which side is more patriotic, as measured by whether or not they lowered a flag.

Meanwhile, in two weeks we can bicker about this pressing issue all over again...and two weeks after that...and two weeks after that.

But yeah, it's the flag that's important here.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
In this thread it is. This thread is not about the victims of this particular shooting--no one truly cares about them. This is all a political mud fight about which side is more patriotic, as measured by whether or not they lowered a flag.

Meanwhile, in two weeks we can bicker about this pressing issue all over again...and two weeks after that...and two weeks after that.

But yeah, it's the flag that's important here.
well, this thread is about "obama stubbornly refuses to lower flags"

If you want to start your own thread about gun violence, then I am sure people will respond accordingly.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:08 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
So military children or State Department children aren't American enough? What about the immigrant presidential candidate Ted Cruz who was not raised here?

Xenophobes who don't want leaders to experience other cultures or learn how other people think and behave? You were raised so differently than the cosmopolitan culture of my upbringing in the U.S.
I am an immigrant myself, having lived more years outside US than within.

I just don't see the passion and love in Obama for his country. If he holds such contempt for US, he should never have run for office.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
People throw around the names of all these incidents of mass murders so nonchalantly. We've become so immune to the gun violence in this country that these incidents are meaningless unless one side can use them as a weapon against the other. Instead of being horrified about how many of these things occur over and over and over again--at a pace of one every two weeks--we're bickering about whether it's proper etiquette to lower the flag to commemorate each one.

I, too, am ashamed of my country in this regard, Toyman. I'm ashamed that people continue to be routinely slaughtered in mass gun violence and all my fellow Americans here on C-D care about is whether a politician lowered a flag.
As am I. Our country refused to do a thing about Islamic radicals and the violently mentally ill in this country. Instead the sheep bleat for more useless "gun control" laws, while ignoring the fact that...criminals by their nature ignore laws.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times
Obama is a POTUS of opportunity. This tragic incident doesnt fit his agenda, whatever you want to believe or not. He could have at least sent someone other than CACO officers to the homes of the loved ones. Lowering the flag to jonor men within the military killed on his watch in the USA would have been appropriate. It was not in comparisin to someone being killed overseas during battle. Then the flag would be raised and lowered more often. So comparing that to a terrosrist action within our borders is in poor taste. Regardless, people who voted amd support him are unpatriotic boobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies