Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:35 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times

Advertisements

Anyone moving to any country should learn the language of that country. Even if you are simply visiting, it takes little effort to learn a few basics.

As for the USA, I would suggest replacing ESL in the public schools with a compulsory 1 year immersion course. 6 hours of English per day, all week.

Most will probably behind by a grade, but they will be speaking like the Bard upon completion.

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Just curious, where does this ugly contempt for your own countrymen come from?
Good question. It's not contempt for my own countrymen; it's contempt for the willful ignorance of select individuals.

When people are so uncultured as to refer to other languages as "gibberish", they have not taken personal responsibility to develop as well-rounded individuals and, therefore, have not earned my respect.

No doubt there are others who respect them for other qualities they may possess, but such individuals represent a strong pattern of pride in anti-intellectualism that courses through many segments of our society, crushing our country's once great leadership role in science and reason as may of them actively deny both and foster isolation rather than engagement.

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
Constitution gives you the right not to learn english if you so desire

Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
The English language exemption is too lenient in my opinion. By elderly they mean age 50. If you're 50 and have been here 20 years you're exempt, or if you're 55 and have been here 15 years. So someone can come here at age 30, a relatively young age, and just stay in their little ethnic bubble

I know that English isn't our official language, but it should be. I also disagree with Americans that move abroad and refuse to learn their new country's tongue.
That's what I don't get. Many of them have lived here for decades and never bothered to learn English. Yes, English should be made our "official" language.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Constitution gives you the right not to learn english if you so desire

I get that, but wouldn't it behoove someone who is immigrating here to learn the language, and the culture? I mean, if I move to Germany, I think it would only make sense to to learn the language, as well as their culture. Why should they cater to me being the newcomer?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
We don't have a defacto national language and various governments are required to provide language sevices. We have a predominant language but that can always change if a free people choose another one. Kinda the beauty of being free, no?

Or, I'm assuming many of you love free markets except when you want bureaucracy to control people like in this situation. Just let the market sort it out. If people need to speak a language to work, they'll learn whatever language that is.
Oh, yes we do! Do you even know what "de facto" means? Even congress declared English as our national language even though not "official". What's the beauty of a society not being able to communicate with one another?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh, yes we do! Do you even know what "de facto" means? Even congress declared English as our national language even though not "official". What's the beauty of a society not being able to communicate with one another?
It's a free country and our national society did just fine when my ancestors came over unable to speak English. I'm not sure what you think has fundamentally changed. The second generation always speaks English and people in the first generation will learn a language if it makes sense for them to learn the language for their own self interest.

Your desire to build more government to force people to comply to your way of life doesn't appeal to me.

Anyway, we live in a global society now, with instantaneous communication and trade around this little planet. There's many different languages spoken in that society.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Any nation that has English as it's native language will not have a populace that speaks multiple tongues. This includes Australia, New Zealand, the UK, etc. It's not just Canada and the US.

At this time in history, thanks to the Brits (not us), English is the international language. We simply do not need to learn another language, not even Spanish.
You're correct. Unless one works in the tourist industry or has a job dealing with foreign countries there is no need for an American to learn another language unless they want to. If you don't use it, you lose it. Besides, English is the language of business across the world. The only language being pushed in this country is Spanish and that is because we have allowed far too many "immigrants" to come here from Spanish speaking countries both legally and illegally. What happened to diversity?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Yes, they should learn English and if the Federal government is still spending money printing forms, instructions, letters, bills, etc., in Spanish, plus pay bilingual customer service representatives they should stop immediately for 2 reasons:

1) It's unfair. What about the other legal immigrants who also are not fluent in English? Where are the forms, instructions, letters, bills, etc. in their languages?;

2) It's expensive.

I'd like to see a Korean or a person from China, for example, take the Federal government to court over this.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:53 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
It's a free country and our national society did just fine when my ancestors came over unable to speak English. I'm not sure what you think has fundamentally changed. The second generation always speaks English and people in the first generation will learn a language if it makes sense for them to learn the language for their own self interest.

Your desire to build more government to force people to comply to your way of life doesn't appeal to me.

Anyway, we live in a global society now, with instantaneous communication and trade around this little planet. There's many different languages spoken in that society.
Your ancestors, however, like all of the other ones at the turn of the century learned enough of the English language to get by when they immigrated. Learning English was the only way to succeed. Not learning English now is just pure laziness because we unfortunately cater to them. I would never move to another country without learning their language...why would I even move their if I cant communicate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies