Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2015, 11:56 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ummmmm...................... YES!

The fossil record and ice cores are the best evidence we have for climate patterns on the earth. This is the largest collection of data that we have available, yet the left conveniently always ignores this data. Why? Because it refutes the concept of man made global warming and does not fit thier warped, cult like agenda which condemns valid science.

1. CO2 levels now are lower than the averages on earth over time. What we need is more CO2, not less.

2. CO2 levels increase AFTER temperatures increase. This is demonstrated in ice cores. Saying CO2 causes warming is like saying that lung cancer causes smoking.

3. The greatest "green house gas" is water vapor, which far eclipses any impact of CO2.

4. There are fossils of tropical plants, animals, and coal above the artic circle, which post date current continental positions. Did clever, prankster cave men dig these up from tropical regions and transport them thousands of miles to fool us in the future, or were these areas once tropical?

5. Layers of sediment on dried lake beds show CYCLICAL warm and cold periods in earth's history every 20,000 years.

6. Solar activity and the wobble of the earth's orbit contributes to cyclical changes in climate.

7. Volcanic activity far eclipses any impact by man on emissions in the atmosphere.

8. The earth is now entering a cooling, not a warming phase.

9. Taxing CO2 does not change emissions (even if global warming is real)- it just redistributes money.

10. The main polluters in the world are China and India. Even if global warming was real (which it is not), changes in the US would have no impact on global CO2 levels.

I remember in the late 1970s and early 1980s when it was rumored that the left was going to declare CO2 a "pollutant" in order to curb industrial production. Everyone laughed, as such a notion is insane. Now we have the lunatics running the asylum and the absurd is taken as the gospel truth, in defiance of rational science.

"Global Warming" turns valid science upside down and violates the cornerstone of the scientific method- refuting the null hypothesis. In what other realm of science is further or contrary information derided and villified? None- only cults do this.
You have just demonstrated one of the most widely held misconceptions about the Earth's history and how it relates to us.

At one point in time, the Earth did not have much oxygen and the atmosphere was extremely poisonous to modern day life. Does this mean if all of a sudden the Earth starts losing oxygen then it is A-OK because at some point the Earth didn't have much oxygen to begin with?

At some point in time, according to your very holy book of science (Book of Genesis), the Earth was formless and there was no light. Does that mean that if all of a sudden the Earth becomes formless and dark, then it would still be A-OK?

Yes, geological records have told us that in the past carbon levels were much higher at some points. The climate at various points in Earth's history was also a lot warmer. The Earth has also gone through some global ice ages.

That doesn't mean that if such a change occur again that we'd be fine with it. Why? Because our form of life at the moment as well as our civilization are very adapted to the this particular climate. We're here now. We should try our best to keep things as much the same as possible because, again, we are very adapted to what's here and now.

That's why climate change will be unpleasant for a lot of people. Nobody is saying it will be the end of the world. Only very holy right wing conservatives who have the moral high grounds claim such a thing.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:58 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You have just demonstrated one of the most widely held misconceptions about the Earth's history and how it relates to us.

At one point in time, the Earth did not have much oxygen and the atmosphere was extremely poisonous to modern day life. Does this mean if all of a sudden the Earth starts losing oxygen then it is A-OK because at some point the Earth didn't have much oxygen to begin with?

At some point in time, according to your very holy book of science (Book of Genesis), the Earth was formless and there was no light. Does that mean that if all of a sudden the Earth becomes formless and dark, then it would still be A-OK?

Yes, geological records have told us that in the past carbon levels were much higher at some points. The climate at various points in Earth's history was also a lot warmer. The Earth has also gone through some global ice ages.

That doesn't mean that if such a change occur again that we'd be fine with it. Why? Because our form of life at the moment as well as our civilization are very adapted to the this particular climate. We're here now. We should try our best to keep things as much the same as possible because, again, we are very adapted to what's here and now.

That's why climate change will be unpleasant for a lot of people. Nobody is saying it will be the end of the world. Only very holy right wing conservatives who have the moral high grounds claim such a thing.
Humans have dealt with climate change throughout our entire existence. If today's humans can't deal with it too bad, they will die off and that weak DNA will be gone forever and for good reason. It will make the species stronger, which needs to happen, we have gotten soft and weak in modern times.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes lets not listen to NOAA because they don't confirm your opinion search for a country that can confirm your view, maybe you have a link to those Russian "experts".
If you don't know that NOAA is a political animal then your knowledge is just as pathetic as the rest of your 'expertise' as you parrot your warmist, ideology driven clap trap.

AARI/AANII main page

I've heard these guys lecture multiple times but I'm sure that's nothing compared to the bed wetters who get their stuff hot off the Huffington Post.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:03 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Again the winter in Boston is irrelevant to the climate change argument.
It's so convenient. Everything that doesn't support your warmist religion is 'irrelevant.' Why should you think the rest of the planet shares your gullibility?

Old 07-23-2015, 12:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,114,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Humans have dealt with climate change throughout our entire existence. If today's humans can't deal with it too bad, they will die off and that weak DNA will be gone forever and for good reason. It will make the species stronger, which needs to happen, we have gotten soft and weak in modern times.
This is a silly statement. People have dealt with torture for millenia. Ever heard of the form of Chinese torture called ling-chi? It's when a person is tied up naked in public and a little piece of skin and flesh is cut off one piece at a time. Usually takes 3 days for the person to die. Sounds terrible doesn't it? And yet, before the last dynasty outlawed it, thousands and thousands of people were executed this way, so they dealt with it. Doesn't mean it's pleasant just because people dealt with it. Also, they dealt with it because they didn't have any other choice.

Climate change will make life for a lot of people very unpleasant. Sure, they will deal with it because they have to. Aside from dealing with it, they have no other choice, just like how the victims of ling-chi were dealing with being sliced one piece at a time for 3 days.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
It's so convenient. Everything that doesn't support your warmist religion is 'irrelevant.' Why should you think the rest of the planet shares your gullibility?
What the F are you talking about? Wamrest religion? you obviously do not know anything about my stance on climate change. I am not a climate change alarmist.

Anyway, If you think one cold winter or one hot summer is an argument for or against climate change you seriously need an education in statistical analysis more specifically sample size.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Just because you believe something doesn't mean it's true. If you have evidence to offer, I'm more than happy to consider it.

My assertions here are supported not by "Liberal big government propaganda!!!!!!" (I took time to make sure I got the correct number of explanation points in your mature response, so please appreciate the effort).
As of 2011 when this list was made, 197 of the world's leading scientific organizations agree with what I'm writing here:

Office of Planning and Research - List of Organizations

No offense, but I'm going with them over you. If new evidence emerges, the scientists will reevaluate and adjust their conclusions and I will do the same. Based on what we know now over thousands of studies, what I'm saying is right.
How we best solve this problem is still up in the air. I prefer a conservative, market-based solution.
If you trust science implicitly, why do you ignore long term temperature changes (over thousands of years) and the fact that the global warming hoax was cooked up using erroneous surface temperature data, rather than satellite data?

Is Global Warming a Hoax?

You do realize, don't you, that we have had several times, even over the last 4,000 years, in which temperatures were much higher than they are now. Further, CO2 levels have been much higher in the past.

Wake up- A cult dismisses contrary information, while true science welcomes dissention.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
There are thousands upon thousands of studies across many funding sources and data sets and disciplines that show the earth is warming because of humans.

Give it up. You're not going to find one smoking gun. The scientific process works out over time biases and human error.
No there isn't. You need to go back and re-read the debunking of the 97% myth. Just stop with the propaganda. I know what the true goal here is, it's DEGROWTH. It's just that simple. Let me ask you something, if you think climate change is so dangerous to human kind, then what is the plan to stop continental drift? You do realize that when a continent drifts to a different long/lat zone the climate will change right? Do you think driving gigantic pilings into the Earth's mantle will stop it? Just face it, the climate changes and always will, humans have faced this their entire existence.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:36 PM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
We made this mess and it's up to us to clean it up.
By mess you mean the one extra co2 molecule in the atmosphere that we have added out of 40,000 molecules?

They only we "we" will be able to "clean" the mess up is if 4 billion of us die off. Until then we will burn all forms of energy to stay alive.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
By mess you mean the one extra co2 molecule in the atmosphere that we have added out of 40,000 molecules?

They only we "we" will be able to "clean" the mess up is if 4 billion of us die off. Until then we will burn all forms of energy to stay alive.
I get that science is not everyone's forte, but it's so disturbing to uniformed people like this are about how CO2 interacts with other gases and yet hold strident opinions on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies