Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 03:25 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,582,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
About to leave for a cigar, scotch and a long conversation about Trump from 3 decidedly different viewpoints, all on the right (thank god!)
Ha, ha. Glad you have good health insurance your risking liver and lung cancer with those sinful pursuits.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:31 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,921,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
Any whites get killed like Amadou Diallo ?

You seem to be over sympathizing with your color of choice and are losing some balance here.
Do you care about those (non-black) NYPD cops who were shot by (black) perps in this past year? If you were a cop, will you not pick up a pattern of violent criminal features from your every day work and prioritize your caution against certain groups? It is much easier to demand social justice behind the monitor than understand the cause of unjustice in certain situations.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:34 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,617,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You saw real agitators, not assumed agitators. Stop defending losers and you'll be able to tell the difference.
It wasn't the coverage I saw (on CNN or MSNBC don't remember).

Old 03-06-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
You seem to be over sympathizing with your color of choice and are losing some balance here.
Do you care about those (non-black) NYPD cops who were shot by (black) perps in this past year? If you were a cop, will you not pick up a pattern of violent criminal features from your every day work and prioritize your caution against certain groups? It is much easier to demand social justice behind the monitor than understand the cause of unjustice in certain situations.
You read my earlier post where I specifically said cops are not themselves the culprits. Cops are by and large good people. I mourn cops who defend me when they are harmed and killed. Your putting me in a neat category so you can dehumanize and dismiss my positions out of hand. Its a tough job to be a cop. They deserve a raise. I didnt want to be a cop and I could have been. Can you evaluate and respond to this statement of mine. Again I am half white, and have white family. I dont want harm befalling them.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Back to Trump is he losing momentum, Cruz on the surge.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:06 PM

5,044 posts, read 4,921,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
You read my earlier post where I specifically said cops are not themselves the culprits. Cops are by and large good people. I mourn cops who defend me when they are harmed and killed. Your putting me in a neat category so you can dehumanize and dismiss my positions out of hand. Its a tough job to be a cop. They deserve a raise. I didnt want to be a cop and I could have been. Can you evaluate and respond to this statement of mine. Again I am half white, and have white family. I dont want harm befalling them.

I am running out of my time limit for today so let me say this about you very quick: you are probably a good and caring person but you have over grown color-sensitivity. As a member of the minority groups myself in the US, I am aware of race and color issues and I will fight them when confirmed, but I do not automatically analyze each case color first.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
I am running out of my time limit for today so let me say this about you very quick: you are probably a good and caring person but you have over grown color-sensitivity. As a member of the minority groups myself in the US, I am aware of race and color issues and I will fight them when confirmed, but I do not automatically analyze each case color first.
Im a sensitive family man. I am good to strangers and neighbours. I believe in God and pay my taxes. If you knew me you would love me. I am kind to those who disagree with me. But I am not over sensitive. I am a 6 tall biracial, that means black, who meets the descrition for male black or hispanic perp. I have been pulled over in my car with my family on average once a yearfor whatever reason and let go. I have been stopped as a passenger in cabs, so they can see if I am a threat to the driver many times. I was arrested once a few years ago once for a charge that was exagerated. I get looked at by police even though I dress with a dress shirt, tie, and slacks. I have been stopped even with my daughter and wife in the car with me. My reality is not exaggerated and neither are the complaints of blacks all over the country. I got stories to tell and if you pm me I will share. I am not angry, but I am afraid and anxious, and sad when I think about it. I work hard, pay my taxes, go to Church, volunteer at animal shelter and give to charity. Yet, that doesn't seem to make me creditable in your imagination and thats very sad and breaks my heart to tears. Yet, I know one day it wont happen anymore.

Last edited by bxlover; 03-06-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,186,180 times
Bxlover: if a black teenager wearing a hoodie approaches your daughter, vs baldy 55 year old suit-and-tie lawyer-looking -- which one would scare you more? Whatcha gonna say to yourself "hoodie teen no more problen than the baldy. Don't be a racist"

So you're gonna stereotype and profile, aren't you?

Humans are hardwired to stereotype and profile. Those who didn't, didn't survive.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:06 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,186,180 times
Another true story I was profiled against. Left this restaurant on Saturday evening in CT, on my sport pants and shirt. Was wobbling. Cop is hidden in the parking lot. Pulls me over. I pull the NYPD card, cop doesn't take it. Ask me to take a breathelizer test. I blow clean. I gave him shtick for not believing that wobbling was because I had played basketball for 2 hours and I was sore.

Cop wasn't wrong to think "white male, sport pants, Sat night dinner, wobbler..."

Old 03-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Bxlover: if a black teenager wearing a hoodie approaches your daughter, vs baldy 55 year old suit-and-tie lawyer-looking -- which one would scare you more? Whatcha gonna say to yourself "hoodie teen no more problen than the baldy. Don't be a racist"

So you're gonna stereotype and profile, aren't you?

Humans are hardwired to stereotype and profile. Those who didn't, didn't survive.
my neighborhood has a majority of teens with hoodies her classmates and friends, So I wont presume somethings wrong automatically . Plus if a middle aged white man came up to my daughter I might presume he was up to no good. Why would a middle aged man approach a 14 year old girl ? Middle aged white men dont sexually mistreat woman ? You watch ID ? Lots of sick crimes are done by middle aged respectable looking white guys because they dont meet the stereotype of being a threat. So I would wonder why he is approaching her. Your analogy reveals a set of biases that are very diferent in our vantage points.

Last edited by bxlover; 03-06-2016 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies