Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:27 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Another working-class slob... bitching to high heaven about somebody making $15/hour. While the people who OWN our country make BILLIONS (that's THOUSANDS of MILLIONS).
As an "engineer" , you should already be aware of the fact that those earning those BILLIONS are the American workers and retirees who have $24 Trillion (that's THOUSANDS of billions) invested in equities, etc., for their retirement:

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Do you know how sad it is when y'all red-staters think $15/hour is good money? Do you live in Kasakstan??

Minimum wage is supposed to be "good money"!?!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Here's the deal. I have work that needs to get done. It is basic labor. I pay $9.00 an hour. That is ALL I can pay. I am hoping to expand my business, here in Amerika. I will hire more people at $9.00 an hour. If I have to pay $15 the jobs will not happen and I will either give up my dream, or give up my country and take my jobs to another country where it will cost me $2.00 an hour.

This isn't a threat. I'm not a 1%er, I live in a 1,200 foot house worth about $60k. I'm just trying to build a business and provide for myself and provide people who would have no job, at least some kind of job, with maybe a possibility for more latert - in a country that makes it IMPOSSIBLE!

Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Here's the deal. I have work that needs to get done. It is basic labor. I pay $9.00 an hour. That is ALL I can pay. I am hoping to expand my business, here in Amerika. I will hire more people at $9.00 an hour. If I have to pay $15 the jobs will not happen and I will either give up my dream, or give up my country and take my jobs to another country where it will cost me $2.00 an hour.

This isn't a threat. I'm not a 1%er, I live in a 1,200 foot house worth about $60k. I'm just trying to build a business and provide for myself and provide people who would have no job, at least some kind of job, with maybe a possibility for more latert - in a country that makes it IMPOSSIBLE!
So you can't afford to pay people the minimum....this is our problem, why? Actually the better question is what are you paying people to do that is considered basic labor....you can't ship a job overseas that is cleaning toilets or mowing laws unless you are planning on shipping in illegals to do these jobs....

Old 07-23-2015, 01:06 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

If wages are required to be increased in an industry that has very little margins for profit, obviously goods across said industry will go up. However, the benefit is that if everybody in the bottom 20% of the nation sees a wage increase, thus an increase in disposable income, more will be able to come to you for the service you provide.

Minimum wage in theory prevents pooling of capital among business owners. Obviously it can be too high for the economic good since it has the potential to stunt investment - however those who do not own a business need to be able to partake in the economy besides just providing for their most basic needs.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As an "engineer" , you should already be aware of the fact that those earning those BILLIONS are the American workers and retirees who have $24 Trillion (that's THOUSANDS of billions) invested in equities, etc., for their retirement:

Retirement Question 4 | EBRI
No, I'm referring to the handful of billionaires that own a huge proportion of the wealth in this country, and who are buying politicians to further rig the game in their favor.

Sorry bud... just cause I'm an engineer that don't mean I listen to talk radio. Not sure why you'd assume that.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:41 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Democrats, the party of unintended consequences.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
No, I'm referring to the handful of billionaires that own a huge proportion of the wealth in this country, and who are buying politicians to further rig the game in their favor.
Just be aware that if you reduce profits for them, you also reduce profits for the 100 million or so American workers and retirees who have that $24 Trillion in their pension/retirement accounts invested in equities, etc.

Do you honestly think all those people would agree to reduce their pensions and devalue their retirement accounts?

Old 07-23-2015, 08:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:

Sorry bud... just cause I'm an engineer that don't mean I listen to talk radio. Not sure why you'd assume that.
You might be an engineer but you are challenged in math and economics. There is no finite amount of wealth, wealth is created. When someone makes a dollar more than you that does NOT mean that is one dollar less that you can make.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:47 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,167 times
Quote:
Do you know how sad it is when y'all red-staters think $15/hour is good money? Do you live in Kasakstan??

A mobile home 20 miles outside a major city should not cost more than what $15/hr provides.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies