Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,767,343 times

Advertisements

Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 AM

143 posts, read 95,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Just read an article in my local paper that the City council will vote to end the extension of benefits to same sex unmarried couples. Same sex couples wanting to cover a partner will have to marry in order to do so. The city says since they don't offer benefits to unmarried heterosexual couples, it would be inequitable to continue to offer this benefit to same sex couples. I think we'll see more and more municipalities and companies making this change now that same sex marriage is legal in the entire country.
Gay marriage win! How do they like it now?

Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_2 View Post
Gay marriage win! How do they like it now?
I'm sure they like it just fine. Equality is a good thing.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:36 AM

143 posts, read 95,882 times
Quote:
I'm sure they like it just fine. Equality is a good thing.
I'm sure those losing their benefits disagree with you.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
Quote:

Seems odd that your city offered such benefits to unmarried couples in the first place. They really offered 'benefits' to unmarried gay couples, but not unmarried heterosexual couples?

Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,380,448 times
Quote:

This is good. Let homosexuals have to get married and then go through divorce when they tire of their "partner" just like the rest of us. No more encounters in a bathroom stall equalling a "relationship".

Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Seems odd that your city offered such benefits to unmarried couples in the first place. They really offered 'benefits' to unmarried gay couples, but not unmarried heterosexual couples?
Correct. Currently they offered benefits to married heterosexual couples and benefits to unmarried same sex couples. No benefits were offered to unmarried heterosexual couples since they had the option to legally marry. Now that same sex couples have the same option, the city is ending all benefits for unmarried partners.

My company just announced the same change. It'll go into effect in 1/1/16 so people have some time to consider if they want to marry or find other coverage. I know there are companies that offer unmarried partner benefits regardless of the make up of the couple. I would assume they would continue offering that benefit.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 AM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
This appears to be the article referred to by the OP:

City recommends cutting benefits for same-sex unmarried partners - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Interesting.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_2 View Post
I'm sure those losing their benefits disagree with you.
I doubt it. They are probably too busy celebrating that same sex marriage is now the law of the land.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,165,148 times
Since same sex couples can now get married, it's only fair that we all play by the same rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies