Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
The problem is about demonizing illegal immigrants as what is currently happening. Yes pretty much everyone will agree that we must control the border and that people shouldn't be allowed to cross illegally. The difference is when the media and politicians paint the majority of illegals as crime ridden, disease ridden and then it becomes a code for anti Hispanics, which even though no one will admit if you read this entire thread you will find the undercurrent in the posts.

Now you want to fix the borders then you must look into what's driving it
1. Drug use in the States. It's all that money that is funding the cartels and bringing much of the criminals over to carry and distribute those drugs.
2. Those same cartels in those countries are making the living conditions in those countries so horrible that many have no option but to try to escape.
3. Businesses in U.S. Wanting super cheap labor provide jobs that attract those people to come. Check who is cutting your lawns, construction farming, chicken factories.

I want to see US politicians discuss and come up with plans to address those issues because until they do all this BS of sending them back, building walls it's just cheap talk.
I want my tax dollars to stop supporting people here who are criminals. If you immigrated illegally, you are a criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 08:31 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I want my tax dollars to stop supporting people here who are criminals. If you immigrated illegally, you are a criminal.
Then you better be asking your politician what he is doing to address the points I made otherwise they will keep coming.

If your family is starving and being threatened to be raped and killed by thugs fueled by drug money from the U.S., then you better believe that no wall will stop them from trying to save their families

Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
I live in a border town that embraces illegal immigration. Beto O'Rourke will do nothing about illegal immigration. His real name is Robert but his family had a hispanic nanny who nicknamed him "Beto". He is a progressive. He is on video crawling on a bar floor with a city council woman spanking his behind. I digress. No faith in my congressman.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:59 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
For someone who claims to have an affinity for Puerto Ricans, you should know better than to post such BS---and yet you post it over and over again despite others refuting it.

"Anti-Hispanic view"? Stop.it.already.

I'm half-Puerto Rican---as you well know---and I don't pick up any "anti-Hispanic" sentiment among republicans. I've been to events in support of republican candidates and guess what? There are people of Hispanic descent who attend. If they felt that there was "anti-Hispanic" sentiment, do you really think they would attend? Every event I've attended, non-white people have always been welcomed. For a supposed republican, where do you get this nonsense?

You do know that English is the language that binds us all, don't you? No one is saying that people shouldn't be allowed to speak their native tongues among themselves. However, in order for us to be a cohesive society, and for newcomers to survive and thrive, English knowledge is imperative.

Did you know that when Puerto Ricans first moved to the mainland, no one gave them anything written in Spanish?---and they are American citizens. My paternal grandparents moved to NYC in the 1920s without knowing English but they made an effort learn---and my Dad and his siblings learned. Despite Spanish being my Dad's first language, he refuses to "oprime dos para Espanol" when he calls a business. He says---and rightly so---it has no place in this country.

I doubt that you will respond---you never do.
If Puerto Rico was populated by Anglo Whites do you think it would still be a territory deprived of their fundamental rights as American citizens even after 61% of these residents voted to become a state in 2012?

The answer is no. Why is Puerto Rico still a territory? Because of bigots in the GOP like Steve King and Louie Gohmert who can't tell the difference between Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. They hide behind "fiscal woes" to disguise their ignorance.

Why is Washington DC populated by American citizens deprived of their fundamental rights? Because GOP bigots are angry that DC is majority Black. Ditto for the Virgin Islands. Why are Guam, American Samoa, and the Marianas still all territories where Americans are denied their fundamental rights? Because GOP bigots are afraid of more majority Asian-Pacific Islander states like Hawaii.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 AM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
If Puerto Rico was populated by Anglo Whites do you think it would still be a territory deprived of their fundamental rights as American citizens even after 61% of these residents voted to become a state in 2012?

The answer is no. Why is Puerto Rico still a territory? Because of bigots in the GOP like Steve King and Louie Gohmert who can't tell the difference between Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. They hide behind "fiscal woes" to disguise their ignorance.

Why is Washington DC populated by American citizens deprived of their fundamental rights? Because GOP bigots are angry that DC is majority Black. Ditto for the Virgin Islands. Why are Guam, American Samoa, and the Marianas still all territories where Americans are denied their fundamental rights? Because GOP bigots are afraid of more majority Asian-Pacific Islander states like Hawaii.
^More BS

First of all, as far as the last plebiscite vote, some were complaining as to all the possible options not being included on the ballot:

The Next Plebiscite - Puerto Rico 51st

No, it has nothing to do with "republican bigotry".

Besides, you would think that dems would be pushing very hard to make PR a state---after all, the consensus is that all the voting in the presidential elections would go the dems way. Yet they are silent on this.

As for DC---they get to vote for president. You did know this, right? Yes, it's true, they have non-voting reps in the house and senate. Plus the percentage of blacks in DC is falling:

Number of black D.C. residents plummets as majority status slips away - The Washington Post

Do you have any links to back your absurd claims? Do you seriously think that it's all Steve King and Louie Gohmert's fault?

Old 07-25-2015, 11:23 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
That's YOUR point of view, I have mine and it's not a talking point but what I have experienced in life. And by the way I never said half this country. Republicans do not make half the population of this country and I didn't t say all Republicans, but there are enough in that party that reflect that point of view.

By the way I'm in support of controlling our borders from illegal immigration, but what I'm not for its many of the right wing crazies who use that as a launching point for their dislike and in some cases hate for Hispanics
So you have some people who didn't like you because you're Hispanic and you're actually trying to convince us that:

a) You asked every one of them their political affiliation

b) That represents ALL Republicans

I'll bet you a truck load of cash that some of them were liberals.

Old 07-25-2015, 11:47 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Then you better be asking your politician what he is doing to address the points I made otherwise they will keep coming.

If your family is starving and being threatened to be raped and killed by thugs fueled by drug money from the U.S., then you better believe that no wall will stop them from trying to save their families
I get sick of the U.S. desire for drugs being blamed for Mexico's problems. This was happening before the drug craze started in the 60's. The problem is the Mexican government not being able or unwilling to help out their own citizens, and the corruption that makes it impossible for lower classes to work hard and improve their lot in life. The other problem is that it will never change if the hardworking people keep leaving their country instead of holding their government accountable.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:09 PM

62,950 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

Oh, the melodramatics. Save their families, lol. Most illegals coming here aren't coming to escape those things but for economic gain at the expense of the American worker/taxpayer. The double layered wall will indeed put a huge dent in ending illegal immigration.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh, the melodramatics. Save their families, lol. Most illegals coming here aren't coming to escape those things but for economic gain at the expense of the American worker/taxpayer. The double layered wall will indeed put a huge dent in ending illegal immigration.
Ok keep believing that. Build it high and deep. Like the Great Wall of china

Old 07-25-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So you have some people who didn't like you because you're Hispanic and you're actually trying to convince us that:

a) You asked every one of them their political affiliation

b) That represents ALL Republicans

I'll bet you a truck load of cash that some of them were liberals.
Didn't have to ask them. Just like you seem to tell Liberals without asking them.

If you don't want to believe that the Republican Party has a problem with anti minorities feelings in their ranks, then go ahead and see those presidential election results in the future
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies