Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 05:11 PM

1,037 posts, read 435,076 times

Advertisements

Rights exist, but if you are dealing with a crooked power incensed cop, you need to be cautious in behavior. Usually you can tell this right off.

If a crooked cop searches your car after issuing a citation comparing it to an arrest, that is unconstitutional, however don't interfere, challenge it later.

Make your voice known, but be alert.

I had a cop pull me over once and the first thing he said to me when he got to my window was "What the F... do you think you are doing!" Power tripper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2020, 05:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Color is not relevant. You should be glad you are being stopped. It means that the officer is doing the job correctly and keeping people and places safe from criminals. Just quickly and efficiently answer 4 or 5 questions, provide your documentation, and it will be over before you know it. Unless you are in fact a criminal with outstanding warrants.

I have been stopped 4 times while walking around my neighborhood at 3 in the morning. I have had back issues at times and the prescribed therapy is to take walks. I find walking late at night to be pleasant. It’s all quiet, few cars, no people. And my walk takes me into commercial areas along Route 10. So the local cops drive up on me, hit me with their 10 million power flashlight, and stop.

What is my response? To pull out my Constitution and make my closing statements before the Supreme Court? No. I stop. I don’t move. I keep my damned mouth shut. And I wait for instructions. Five-O gets out of his cruiser, approaches me, and asks me my name. What do I say? “Effyou pig, I don’t have to tell you nuthin, I have Constitooshinal rights, so get away from me and go back to your donuts”.

No. I tell him my name. He writes it down. “Are you from around here?” Yes officer, I live up the street and am just taking a walk. It’s part of my back therapy and I frequently do late night walks”. At that point, what has happened every time with 4 different officers is that a brief bull**** session starts and he will tell me about someone he knows with back problems or we talk a little real estate when he asks where I work. Total engagement is less than 5 minutes. He then returns to his patrol, I return to my walk, and I’m glad he stopped me. Because if some thug does decide to be walking around where I live and work, he’s likely to be noticed and engaged by my local police department. I WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. Walking around where I live is implicitly unusual and suspicious at 3AM. I am happy to be paying taxes and having someone with a gun look out for my well being and the well-being of my property and neighborhood.
Tell that to Ex Sherriff Joe Arpaio who was convicted of a felony when he had his department stop brown people at random. That was the entire Maricopa Sherriff Dept involved.
Trump had to pardon him to try and rub some of the lipstick off that pig.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:11 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Tell that to Ex Sherriff Joe Arpaio who was convicted of a felony when he had his department stop brown people at random. That was the entire Maricopa Sherriff Dept involved.
Trump had to pardon him to try and rub some of the lipstick off that pig.
Anecdotal nonsense based on confirmation-bias. Lots of stories of events in the world which say nothing about general reality. The vast majority of cops are good, and the vast majority of the citizens they beat up and shoot are bad and asked for it. Occasionally there’s a bad cop and a bad story, but overall the reality is the reality.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:17 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Straw-manning. I did not say obey and comply, I said obey and comply at the time of being detained. If there is injustice, the time and place to change it is in the town hall, in the courts, and in the legislative chambers. But at night, in the wild, where criminals commonly roam and feed, and the police officer has to try to separate the wheat from the chaff, and has the gun, you shut the efff up and quietly comply. In 2020.
Just like the other post mentioned...this NOT how things are done in America...look at how we won our freedom from England, look at how civil rights laws came to be...

When they asked Rosa Parks to get up and move on the bus...she REFUSED to comply, even when police came, she did not comply, do you really think she should have obeyed and tried to resolve the issue in court? LOL That would have gotten her nowhere and probably in much more trouble, same exact thing in regards to modern times. of course, she is now recognized as a national hero and patriot for doing what she did. (that is a great lesson to teach kids today too).

Its interesting, in the days of the American Revolution, there were plenty of colonists who actually stood by the side of England and obeyed and complied with the British troops, they were called 'Tories'.

Old 01-17-2020, 02:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Lol...man, the bootlicking is SERIOUS in here.

You don’t have any rights in this country if the cops decide to gaffle you up. And even if they kill you unjustifiably, the American public will stand behind them.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Lol...man, the bootlicking is SERIOUS in here.

You don’t have any rights in this country if the cops decide to gaffle you up. And even if they kill you unjustifiably, the American public will stand behind them.
If you are belligerent and confrontational and they kill you, you deserve it, and the world is a better place without you. There is a time and a place for protest, and “first contact“ scenarios with law enforcement are neither. Shut up, lick the officers boots, and address it later in the appropriate forum. Or die, pick one.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:38 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
If you are belligerent and confrontational and they kill you, you deserve it, and the world is a better place without you. There is a time and a place for protest, and “first contact“ scenarios with law enforcement are neither. Shut up, lick the officers boots, and address it later in the appropriate forum. Or die, pick one.
Or shoot the cop.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Just like the other post mentioned...this NOT how things are done in America...look at how we won our freedom from England, look at how civil rights laws came to be...

When they asked Rosa Parks to get up and move on the bus...she REFUSED to comply, even when police came, she did not comply, do you really think she should have obeyed and tried to resolve the issue in court? LOL That would have gotten her nowhere and probably in much more trouble, same exact thing in regards to modern times. of course, she is now recognized as a national hero and patriot for doing what she did. (that is a great lesson to teach kids today too).

Its interesting, in the days of the American Revolution, there were plenty of colonists who actually stood by the side of England and obeyed and complied with the British troops, they were called 'Tories'.
When Rosa Parks refused to comply, she was refusing to comply with a bus driver, not law-enforcement. When law enforcement arrived to arrest her, she was correctly compliant, and calmly arrested, and fined $10 later. After that, in the appropriate forum, she brought her protest and correctly changed America. Get your facts straight.

Rosa Parks did what I recommend, not you.

And so should everyone else with any positive IQ at all.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Or shoot the cop.
And likely die later, which is also a good result. Isn’t Darwin wonderful?

Old 01-17-2020, 09:54 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,604 times
Quote:
You are definitely not black or brown. There are crooked cops all over. My dad was a cop but I still dislike the majority of them. Watch "Live PD" and see have they treat the darker people. And this is on live tv so imagine what they do when the camera is off. I love their main reason to search a car. " I smell weed". How can't you fight that in court. If the officer said he smelled weed and he lied, how can you prove his lie in court? They go crazy when they see a gun. Um, in Texas, a car is the extension of your home. I can have a gun laying on my seat if I want.

Easy for you to say all this BS when you've never had to experience any of it. Like the time I got stopped on Bourbon St. because the officer said I matched the description of a guy that just shot someone and ran off. Really officer? If I ran off, why would I come back to the scene and walk by you guys? Also, I saw the guy on the news the next night. The guy they were looking for had a full beard. I can't grow facial hair to save my life. Some little white rookie questioning me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies