Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 04:28 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Someone acts like a dickweed and it's OK to kill them? Man, you have some serious issues. I hope you aren't a LEO.
Yes, if you act like a belligerent dick and threaten a police officer out in the wild, you have no complaint when you are shot dead. It’s called having a brain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2020, 04:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Cops get their kicks from harassing people that have done nothing wrong.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:18 PM

2,264 posts, read 970,896 times
The real problem is way too many Americans still think they have Constitutional rights. They need to get over that illusion and then they won't get summarily executed roadside.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:40 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
The real problem is way too many Americans still think they have Constitutional rights. They need to get over that illusion and then they won't get summarily executed roadside.
Truth.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:43 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Cops get their kicks from harassing people that have done nothing wrong.
And what do criminals get their kicks from? Completely destroying the lives of good people. I’m glad we have cops to keep us safe from the miscreants. Fortunately, the people in this country who actually count generally support the police.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:17 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
And what do criminals get their kicks from? Completely destroying the lives of good people. I’m glad we have cops to keep us safe from the miscreants. Fortunately, the people in this country who actually count generally support the police.
"Cops keep us safe" what a joke.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:02 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
"Cops keep us safe" what a joke.
Criminals sure don't!

Old 01-17-2020, 10:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You handle police stops your way, I’ll handle them my way. You clearly do not understand the Constitution, or even governance. My way works well, and I am still a free citizen last time I looked. If you get shot being belligerent and mouthing off to a cop at 3AM on some dark road after you attracted his attention with something that indicates to him that you might be committing a crime, then you deserve it, and I will support the cop, not you. It is my right to support the police, who I view as good, and who save people’s lives every day at their own risk. If I am stopped and they ask me who I am and what I’m doing, I will put them at ease by telling them the truth and supplying my stupid license and registration. We will then wish each other safety and wellness, and carry on with our lives. That’s the way it works for rational good people who understand the nuance of different situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
A lot of posters on here don't know what the hell they are talking about, like the 1 you responded to.

I watch a LOT of Live PD shows. I suggest those who THINK they know the laws should watch some and get educated.

actually you guys need to read up on court rulings. start with terry v ohio where the courts ruled that in order for the police to ID you they must first have reasonable articulable suspicion that you have or are committing a crime, otherwise the stop is in fact a mutual stop and you do not have to ID yourself even in stop and ID states.

also read up on the laws in your state regarding cops requiring ID from you. you will find that what i said is indeed true. for instance texas law(not a stop and ID state) 38.02 requires that you be properly arrested before you are required to present ID. in arizona, a stop and ID state, 13-2412 states-

13-2412. Refusing to provide truthful name when lawfully detained; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person, after being advised that the person's refusal to answer is unlawful, to fail or refuse to state the person's true full name on request of a peace officer who has lawfully detained the person based on reasonable suspicion that the person has committed, is committing or is about to commit a crime. A person detained under this section shall state the person's true full name, but shall not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of a peace officer.

note the bolded part that REQUIRES that the LEOs have a reasonable suspicion that the person in question is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a crime. they CANNOT stop someone based on "suspicious" activity, or an "investigation" since they are NOT crimes. the officer MUST articulate a crime, and not a secondary crime either such as refusal to ID or obstruction. it MUST be a primary crime robbery, assault and battery, etc.

same with a traffic stop. the cop must tell you WHY he stopped you before asking for ID.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:24 PM

1,037 posts, read 434,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
same with a traffic stop. the cop must tell you WHY he stopped you before asking for ID.
What rule of law is that, and where?

Old 01-18-2020, 12:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,397,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it doesn't matter what rights we "think" we have because the side of the road isn't a court room where that gets decided. Even if you think your rights are being violated you are still going to be arrested, even if they are. A court will decide if they were or not. Some people (not you) think that if you just tell a cop that he/she is violating your rights that they are supposed to take your word for it and cease and desist their attempts at arresting you. I have no idea where this thinking comes from.
While what you may does makes sense, there is violating one's constitutional rights from a legal standpoint and violating them from a practical standpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies