Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:00 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,112,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Even as an atheist...I always despised and avoided other atheists.

Because of crap like this.

Utterly small-minded, obnoxious, irritating people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:07 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
God can be anything you want it to be is the point. It simply means a "higher power". Stop twisting the facts. By the way the Feds just re-affirmed in 2011 that it is out national motto
The most selectively used argument that's even possible.

I'll say again, even if we accept your argument as being true, it still doesn't include all religions. Not even close.

I should also say that this definition of 'it can mean whatever you want' is blasphemy in eyes of many religions.

I think it's best that the government not involve itself at all with the affairs of religion. Religions and governments nearly have a monopoly of ****ing everything up. The absolute worst thing to do would be to let them team up.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:49 PM

906 posts, read 711,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Of course... Fox makes the title about the atheist, but they bring the other guy on instead...

I don't care what people put on bumper stickers. I don't even care if cops do it. But in fairness, 'In God We Trust' is a ridiculous national motto. It's too exclusive and frankly, slightly silly. I readily admit I'm biased on the issue of God but that doesn't change how the world works. The idea that God is somehow involved with events that happen is silly especially with the notion that God is a moral being. If a God is involved in the events of the world and has absolute power and authority, he's not moral. That's literally impossible when you look at the state of the world. Thus, this God fellow is the absolute last person I would trust with my nations' fate.

We should have a motto that reflects genuine American values involving individualism and integrity. I like the original one quite a bit more actually. 'E pluribus unum' is a proper motto.
Free will

Old 07-27-2015, 02:21 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Nope, they won't. You don't see it on currency do you? The stuff Old Gringo mentioned was imagery and words directly from a specific religion. God (Supreme Being, Higher Power) is in all of them. I posted the relevant info about this, go read. The phrase has been challenged many times unsuccessfully in the courts, just the word God has been too regarding the Pledge of Allegiance.
The "God is present in all religions" argument is obviously bogus and the Supreme Court is a bit smarter than that. The term you're looking for is "ceremonial deism" - words that have lost through rote repetition any significant religious content.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:04 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It means (and has repeatedly been upheld in court) that government at all levels cannot promote religion.

Simple enough.

You should be able to grasp it.

Those are your questions, not mine. And the answers are easily found. Use your rugged self reliance to find the answers.

What religion?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
What religion?
Any of the ones that recognize 'God' as a singular entity and a name (it's capitalized; basic knowledge of grammar dictates that it's referring to a specific thing). Thus, even if we argued it wasn't just one religion (though again, anyone can say the intention was neutral, but I don't buy it), it's pretty much geared to just three, two of which being far more apt to be included. Islam is rarely included in these endeavors.

It's odd though. Many of the people who talk about 'God just means what you want it to mean' only use that logic in this specific argument. In a religious debate, God means what THEY want it to mean, not whatever you want. It's my way or Hell. Except in this debate. Some of the time.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:10 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
Quote:
What religion?
The ones with or without gods. That should narrow it down for you.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:28 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
The ones with or without gods. That should narrow it down for you.

God can mean anything to anyone.

Once again, what religion?

Old 07-28-2015, 07:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,519,507 times
See post #48.

Please.

It's simple enough. You're struggling way too much with this.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:09 AM

20,021 posts, read 20,822,731 times
If I see a bumper sticker that supports something I don't believe in or disagree with I just keep it simple and vandalize the car. I'm not gonna be a big baby and rally protests and complain on the Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies