Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 12:26 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I have no college degree and make 60+ annually...I bust my butt...is that fair?

You DESERVE what you ACCEPT! Life is what you make it. FAIR has nothing to do with it and I dare say the more people try to make things fair the more unfair to the harder/smarter worker it becomes.
That is why you are so likable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:24 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
I'm the 20k making guy in that scenario. Yay philosophy lol. Is it fair? I don't know, maybe not..

But since when has life been fair? If you do a lib arts degree expect to either hustle or struggle for a bit. I did philosophy and though money is tight to non existent, I have no regrets. I did it because philosophy is where my talents were strongest. What's funny about this is, it's literally like a year of school and I could get a math degree, a bio degree, a business degree...I've taken most classes those majors have, it's just the name on my degree is different. I opted for a broader degree because I didn't want to feel pidgeon holed into a certain track back then. Like, right now I'm only 25 and I can get into most fields within 3 to 4 years, if that..so I actually like my position. Fine, money is tight now but money is coming.

And I have lots of diversified experience at this point, I have learned so many jobs, that I honestly think I'm up for any challenge. I've worked from vet hospitals to business inventory, from sports management to test proctoring. From offices, to warehouses, to parking lots to stadiums of 20k+.

Anyway, life isn't fair. 20 years from now, if I'm at the top "despite" being trained in the liberal arts when my peers are stuck at 100k in engineering, it won't be fair either..that I had the sense to avoid that.

My rationale was simple actually. I'm either dying poor or rich, I will never die middle class. And that's where those degrees take you..middle class America. But with me, I'm either dying poor because I put myself in a position of having to try on my own and I continuously failed, or else something took off and like Mr. Trump "I'm really rich" lol. For me, not trying and just going with it isn't really an option. If I don't try, I don't eat.

Right now I don't even know if I make 20k a year, but the other thing is...since it isn't an important job, I don't even stress about it. I mean, I haven't even gone to work in a week lol. Too busy on my own projects so work takes a back seat and is done as needed. Starting companies, building websites, partnering and investing is what I do most often. Meanwhile on paper it looks like I'm doing two jobs actually, so the experience is just building up for pretty much free.

To me, it beats the hell out of the extra $40k people are making while giving people literally only the weekends off. How do people live that life? That's just not for me. Well, maybe if I had kids..

Last edited by gumisgood; 07-29-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM

906 posts, read 712,666 times
Reading the thread..why do people think that at 23 either of these two people's career tracks are set in stone?

It's not where you're from, it's where you're going.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Reading the thread..why do people think that at 23 either of these two people's career tracks are set in stone?

It's not where you're from, it's where you're going.
At that age the one making $20k has plenty of time to acquire the skills to get into a lucrative career. Likewise, the one making $60k has plenty of tie to advance and get a salary that will enable him to raise a family. Each can choose his own path, as they have already done so far. Yes, it's fair, they both had the same opportunities, and were allowed to make their own choices.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:21 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post

Is the entry level accountant really worth three times as much? Remember, both are working full time and are college graduates.
Based on the OP, the market says yes.

How much are the other grads from both those majors earning? Also... maybe if the 20K nephew relocated to another city he would get a better job?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
There is such a focus on math and science these days that some think liberal arts is a waste. No one seems to care about english, writing, research, history, communication, etc. It may not be a money maker but they are passionate about it and we need people like them. Talking to a history major versus a math major is so much more enriching

Old 07-29-2015, 10:21 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is such a focus on math and science these days that some think liberal arts is a waste. No one seems to care about english, writing, research, history, communication, etc. It may not be a money maker but they are passionate about it and we need people like them. Talking to a history major versus a math major is so much more enriching
Depends on what you are discussing.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 PM

7,506 posts, read 5,753,469 times
Quote:
I have two nephews. They are twins.

One went to college and studied Accounting, with a 3.2 GPA, and got a job in January with EY, one of the Big Four Accounting Firms, and is making about $60,000.

The other twin went to college, got a 4.0 GPA but got a Liberal Arts Degree in Communications and only could find a job at a Movie Theatre selling food and makes about $20,000 a year.

Both are college graduates. Is it fair that the Accounting Graduate is making $60K, while the better student, the Communications Major, is only making $20K for his full time job?
Looks like someone should have done more research before choosing a degree if they were concerned about pay...

Old 07-29-2015, 10:25 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Depends on what you are discussing.
Numbers versus the history of the world. I know which one I would have a more stimulating conversation with.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
I have two nephews. They are twins.

One went to college and studied Accounting, with a 3.2 GPA, and got a job in January with EY, one of the Big Four Accounting Firms, and is making about $60,000.

The other twin went to college, got a 4.0 GPA but got a Liberal Arts Degree in Communications and only could find a job at a Movie Theatre selling food and makes about $20,000 a year.

Both are college graduates. Is it fair that the Accounting Graduate is making $60K, while the better student, the Communications Major, is only making $20K for his full time job?
The other twin simply needs to find a better paying job, even if that means moving to a different town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies