Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 10:56 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
It's called: Personal Responsibility.

If you think you aren't making enough, you either negotiate for higher pay, find a company who will pay you what you think you are worth, or re-evaluate that major that you received and try for something else.

.... Or just blame Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The moral of the story is get a degree that is useful instead of a useless degree. The choices you make in life will determine your path.

Fair? No but that is life. Deal with it.
His degree is actually very useful if he can find a job, but Communications isnt just a job you land in . Its an experience job and there for, Businesses or politicians dont usually hire people right out of college. He should have spent his last 2 years of high school and all of college interning.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I have two nephews. They are twins.

One went to college and studied Accounting, with a 3.2 GPA, and got a job in January with EY, one of the Big Four Accounting Firms, and is making about $60,000.

The other twin went to college, got a 4.0 GPA but got a Liberal Arts Degree in Communications and only could find a job at a Movie Theatre selling food and makes about $20,000 a year.

Both are college graduates. Is it fair that the Accounting Graduate is making $60K, while the better student, the Communications Major, is only making $20K for his full time job?
" Is it fair..?" of course it is.

One gets a a degree where he actually LEARNED HOW do something.

The other got a degree that gave him no real skills.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:42 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
I have two nephews. They are twins.

One went to college and studied Accounting, with a 3.2 GPA, and got a job in January with EY, one of the Big Four Accounting Firms, and is making about $60,000.

The other twin went to college, got a 4.0 GPA but got a Liberal Arts Degree in Communications and only could find a job at a Movie Theatre selling food and makes about $20,000 a year.

Both are college graduates. Is it fair that the Accounting Graduate is making $60K, while the better student, the Communications Major, is only making $20K for his full time job?
Is this a real question?

I did my BA in Political Science and History and graduated with honors. I quickly realized that this qualified me to make 23 different types of coffee. So I went back and got a Masters and JD.

Let's be honest, I loved my undergrad studies. I learned an enormous amount about politics, history, foreign policy, socio-economic issues, etc... None of that was particularly useful to a kid in his 20's looking for a job. So I went to grad school. Fast forward 20 years. I'm now very involved in politics and public policy. I own my own business now and that "liberal arts" background is a lot more useful. Tell your nephew to figure out a direction that interests him and the money will follow.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Is this a real question?

I did my BA in Political Science and History and graduated with honors. I quickly realized that this qualified me to make 23 different types of coffee. So I went back and got a Masters and JD.

Let's be honest, I loved my undergrad studies. I learned an enormous amount about politics, history, foreign policy, socio-economic issues, etc... None of that was particularly useful to a kid in his 20's looking for a job. So I went to grad school. Fast forward 20 years. I'm now very involved in politics and public policy. I own my own business now and that "liberal arts" background is a lot more useful. Tell your nephew to figure out a direction that interests him and the money will follow.

I agree with this. I was an English Lit major (concentration technical writing). But I also had A LOT of experience in regards to real work experience along with internships and mostly in the financial sector (banking) and in government procurement and contracting. I am working on a master's degree but have always made good money and I also own my own consulting firm.

When I was 23 I stopped working and had a child and was a stay at home mom for 3 years before going back to work full time. While a SAHM I worked from home doing work for others and customer service from home so I wouldn't have gaps in my resume.

Everyone's life is different. Just because he makes $20K now doens't mean that his life will be worse than his brother. And FWIW, as I've gotten older, I've come to realize that money isn't everything. I am a frugal person by nature and always live well beneath my means and I can easily live off of $30-$40K per year (and usually do as I save the rest of my income) because I own both my home and car outright and don't have many expenses at all. Time with family and opportunity for vacation and for my leisure activities is more important to me than making a lot of money.

And I couldn't do the job I do now without my English degree, which involved a TON of writing assigned from extremely anal professors lol. If I had the chance, I would chose to pursue the degree I did again but I would probably do a business minor just to have more classes in finance/accounting only because my current career now requires those classes and that is why I went back to school.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:54 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Lesson to parents. If your child is getting a Liberal Arts Degree he/she will not make much money. Liberal Arts professors will tell you they are taught "to think." Perhaps they should think, "How am I going to earn a living?"
As discussed above, Communications (not the same degree as Communication) is not a liberal arts degree anyway.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Lesson to parents. If your child is getting a Liberal Arts Degree he/she will not make much money. Liberal Arts professors will tell you they are taught "to think." Perhaps they should think, "How am I going to earn a living?"

I have a liberal arts degree and I make more money than most Americans. Also as stated above, money is not the key to happiness or success in life.

And IMO people do need to learn to "think." It is evident in these forums that "thinking" is a skill not owned by many in our society today. They see a headline and believe the headline without question and without thinking. They are fed sensationalized news and believe it hook, line and sinker. People are so guillible and fearful today it is pretty sickening. There should always be what I consider a "thinking" class. Unfortunately our ranks have fallen since arts have been taken out of school and kids have been taught to memorize and pass tests versus how to question and think critically.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:18 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
His degree is actually very useful if he can find a job, but Communications isnt just a job you land in . Its an experience job and there for, Businesses or politicians dont usually hire people right out of college. He should have spent his last 2 years of high school and all of college interning.
Or he should have been hotter and female....pharmaceutical reps.

The only people at my school that seemed to be in communications were guys from the football\basketball team and typically very attractive women.

Ditto for marketing.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Of course it's fair. It's not a matter of what their degrees were in. It's a question of how skilled they have to be for their current jobs and the relative scarcity of the skills in the community. The accountant has a specific skill set that the general population does not have and his employer has to pay him a certain amount to keep him there because. They movie theater employee is using a skill set that lots of people have and his employer doesn't have to pay him much because he's easily replaceable.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:32 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
How is it not fair? They both got to go to college where they had the opportunity to research various career outlooks and pay scales. They both perused something that interested them each. Money does not motivate everyone and to be free to pick how you want to spend your work life is one of the things that is so great about America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies