Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,008,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I can sympathize with that.

Then again, when we use the drive-thru we never see anyone putting together our burger either.
Drive thru is for lazy people IMO. I'm more than capable of walking into a place and ordering my food. Plus, I don't like eating in cars and fast food is disgusting when not immediately eaten. And I don't eat lukewarm or cold food.

That said, on the extremely rare occasion that I use a drive thru, I'm still talking to a human that can tailor my order exactly to my liking and will be responsible should I look In my bag and find something wrong.

For example, at McDonald's, when you say "heavy pickle," I mean a LOT more than the two pickles that are standard. Well...they give you ONE extra pickle typically...maybe two if you're lucky.

I mean 6 or 7...and that's what I want. I can't tell a machine that. Of course, I could take the burger up to the counter and demand more pickles be put on it...but I refuse. If I take it back, then I want a fresh burger with all the condiments that I requested the first time. Now my fries are getting cold while I wait for what should've been done right the first time. That means I need fresh fries too...the originals won't do.

So it's better all around if I just avoid the whole ordering from a machine business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 10:24 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,644,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

For example, at McDonald's, when you say "heavy pickle," I mean a LOT more than the two pickles that are standard. Well...they give you ONE extra pickle typically...maybe two if you're lucky.

I mean 6 or 7...and that's what I want. I can't tell a machine that. Of course, I could take the burger up to the counter and demand more pickles be put on it...but I refuse. If I take it back, then I want a fresh burger with all the condiments that I requested the first time. Now my fries are getting cold while I wait for what should've been done right the first time. That means I need fresh fries too...the originals won't do.

So it's better all around if I just avoid the whole ordering from a machine business.
The kiosk allows for that. You can select the amount of a topping you want.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:36 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,008,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The kiosk allows for that. You can select the amount of a topping you want.
I don't want to select anything. I want to SAY "I want 6 pickles" and have them appear on my burger. I want THEM to fumble around with a machine. That's built into the price of my food.

If they want ME to type in my food order with pickle amount specificity, then they'd better be paying me in the form of a very steep discount.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,644,461 times
Quote:
I don't want to select anything. I want to SAY "I want 6 pickles" and have them appear on my burger. I want THEM to fumble around with a machine. That's built into the price of my food.

If they want ME to type in my food order with pickle amount specificity, then they'd better be paying me in the form of a very steep discount.
I understand where you're coming from.

And I think the same thing when I go to a sitdown restaurant, yet I am still required to leave a tip.

Knowing most corporations, they do anything to lower operating costs, but charge the customer the same.

I just prefer the kiosks because of convenience.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
They see adding people to their welfare-seeking army as a positive.
The democrats view the more people they can convince into taking handouts from government, the more people they can convince to reelect them, to keep the handouts coming.

That's why democrats never stop coming up with more inventive social welfare programs to give away handouts. Whether it's green energy subsides for corporations, or giveaway programs for school lunches, or block grants to states, communities or whatever.

If Democrats can find a way to get every American to take a free government handout, they can run a reelection campaign to promise them more of the same, and demonize their opponents who are trying to rein in this deficit spending, debt incurring insanity.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,396,013 times
Quote:
Drive thru is for lazy people IMO. I'm more than capable of walking into a place and ordering my food.
Drive thrus are for people in a hurry. Fast food joints prioritize drive-thru customers over counter customers.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I understand where you're coming from.

And I think the same thing when I go to a sitdown restaurant, yet I am still required to leave a tip.

Knowing most corporations, they do anything to lower operating costs, but charge the customer the same.

I just prefer the kiosks because of convenience.
I can't wait for the iPads to come to sit down restaurants.
I'm one that actually likes technology. I use kiosks and self checkouts wherever they are available.
I also use online to check availability of products at let's say Home Depot and then reserve something for me to pick up when I get there.

I'd use the self checkouts at my supermarket but they say they are limited to 20 items.
Walmart has self checkouts for unlimited items.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM

14,295 posts, read 9,632,106 times
Quote:

Add to this, that the automated kiosk will probably be manufactured in China. So we essentially put Americans out of work from making your burger, and put a Chinese slave laborer to work instead.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,141,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Add to this, that the automated kiosk will probably be manufactured in China. So we essentially put Americans out of work from making your burger, and put a Chinese slave laborer to work instead.
And there should be no issue with that. Mfg has been gone for near 50 years now.

What we have is the engineering and design part still alive in the US.

Momentum Machines probably builds their burger bot in China but the brains and revenue is US.

Momentum Machines Burger Robot - Business Insider

Old 07-29-2015, 10:55 AM

29,387 posts, read 16,304,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post

How is it hastened by a demand for 15 dollar an hour wages when no state is actually paying 15 dollar an hour minimum wage ?

At best , your argument should be that these workers will be eventually replaced the same way Wal Mart has been doing with their cashiers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies