Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And the owner, head guy or someone else speaks English.
I've contracted services. The person I spoke with speaks English. The crew shows up and at least one person speaks English.

We already know that immigrants make a lot of money by the reports of the tens of billions of dollars they send back home every year.
Very few of our contracted landscaper's business owners spoke English, one of the janitorial/paint-clean companies' owner didn't either. Many times though someone on their staff spoke basic English and a couple of them had their kids working for them and the kids, via going to school here in America, spoke English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:32 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And that's just fine just as long as they and their workers are here legally. Many in the construction, landscaping and restaurant businesses are not though.

Many more are here legally owning a business versus illegally.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:59 PM

40 posts, read 49,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You're not understanding. That's ironic. What I mean is, I don't have this issue you seem to have such a problem with with people in the service industry not speaking English. Do you live in Mexico maybe? You present it like 24/7 you have problems with the service industry. Really? All the time? I can count on one hand the times where I had communication issues with someone in the past year maybe. That's right, one hand. Surely you wouldn't be, oh I don't know, making this whole thing up, now would you?

You likely don't live in a community with a large number of foreign born folks.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
You likely don't live in a community with a large number of foreign born folks.
Meh. I live in Southern California and I really don't encounter this problem, either. Are there people with accents? Sure. I have one myself. But in customer-facing positions, it's attitude more than anything - I've always maintained that there's no shorter cultural gap than the one between interested buyers and seller.

I'd much rather deal with the immigrant who needs an order repeated - but gets it right - than a disinterested born-and-bred American who just wants me out of there.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Many more are here legally owning a business versus illegally.
That may be true but many of their workers are here illegally so what good does that do for the American worker who can't compete against them in wages?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
When there is a language barrier, it is also a safety problem on job sites.. when they can't understand you , they are creating a problem of communication.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:18 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My in laws, now deceased, immigrated from Eastern Europe in 1950 with their first child, my husband. Like most immigrants then, they got busy creating an anchor baby to make certain they would be able to stay in the U.S.

Parents never learned to understand or speak English. They managed to work, pay taxes, save, buy a 3 flat and become citizens without learning English. Of course their children learned English and served as translators. My husband has no accent. His younger brother, born in the U.S. , did however retain an accent. Go figure, eh.
Excellent post.

And proof that I tried!
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to middle-aged mom again.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Old lady ******* about people speaking Spanish at IHOP - "Go back to Spain"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZqeBgjGQE

Old 08-02-2015, 08:09 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
I hardly see it as being racist. Those who think so should look up the word in the dictionary. Interesting that the Spanish speaker and her son in the video could speak English but chose not to until the woman confronted them. I understand it if one can't speak English but that wasn't the case here.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:15 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I hardly see it as being racist. Those who think so should look up the word in the dictionary. Interesting that the Spanish speaker and her son in the video could speak English but chose not to until the woman confronted them. I understand it if one can't speak English but that wasn't the case here.
Why is it hers or your business what language they use in their private conversation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies