Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 01:40 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Advertisements

Indian restaurant fined for trying to hire Indian waiter | New York Post
Quote:
An Indian waiter in an Indian restaurant — imagine that!
City bureaucrats slapped a $5,000 fine on a Midtown Indian restaurant for trying to hire a server who is Indian, according to official documents.
Following an inquiry by The Post, the city’s Commission on Human Rights — which cited the eatery two years ago — said it’s assessing its practices.
Commission staffers have been trawling Craigslist to ensnare unwary restaurant owners who violate the law for things like seeking a “waitress” instead of a “wait-person.”
That’s gender discrimination by the city’s reckoning and could lead to a four-figure fine.
They hit the jackpot in October 2013, when Shalom Bombay on Lexington Avenue placed an ad for an “experienced Indian waiter or waitress.”
It might be common sense that an Indian restaurant would try to hire a server familiar with its cuisine, but to the city’s enforcers, it was a glaring red flag.
The law doesn’t allow ads that discriminate “based on national origin.”
The commission filed a complaint, eventually scheduling a trial for April 15 at the city’s administrative court.
There was a good reason the owners didn’t appear, according to former manager Raphael Gasner.
He told The Post the business closed in April 2014 — a year earlier.
Even without hearing both sides, a judge took pity on the owners and reduced the commission’s recommended $7,500 fine to $5,000.
“There was no complaint from the public, there was no evidence of how many people viewed the posting, and there was no direct evidence that any qualified applicant was turned away,” according to the documents.
“There was a discriminatory advertisement, but there was no additional proof that respondents refused to hire otherwise qualified applicants.”
A spokesperson for the commission described how new leaders are “assessing” its practices and looking into a change of tactics.
“The commission’s new leadership, as of February 2015, is currently assessing its investigatory strategy to implement more comprehensive and strategic investigations to proactively root out systemic discrimination in employment, housing, and public accommodations and expand the commission’s testing programs in these areas,” the spokesperson said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:50 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Good!

I`m sick and tired of "whites need not apply" bull ****.

Waiting tables, something I did for more than twenty years, is still one of the few areas in which discrimination is rampant.

I`ve been told to my face that I wouldn`t be considered for a job because I`m male.

This was at a family restaurant, not a bikini bar, and the manager telling me this was a female.

I was told I wouldn`t be considered for a job at a Chinese Restaurant because I didn`t speak Chinese.

The manager of a nice Italian restaurant told me all the restaurant`s waiters come from Italy and they don`t hire any Americans.

Never mind all the restaurants having no Americans employed anywhere in the establishment that took my resume and filed it in the circular cabinet as soon as I left because I wasn`t one of them.

Last edited by momonkey; 07-31-2015 at 02:10 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 02:02 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
What's really messed up is businesses can and have been fined for asking for proof that a worker can legally work since it's discriminating based on national origin. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Abercrombie Agrees To Pay for Immigration-Related Discrimination
Quote:
According to a Justice Department statement, the agency said the Columbus, Ohio-based clothing retailer agreed to pay more than $158,000 and be monitored for two years over charges that it discriminated against a non-U.S. citizen when it required her to present a green card.
“The department’s investigation found that Abercrombie required a non-U.S. citizen, but not similarly-situated U.S. citizens, to produce specific documentary proof of her immigration status for the purpose of verifying her employment eligibility,” according to the statement. “The [Immigration and Nationality Act]’s anti-discrimination provision prohibits employers from making specific documentary demands based on citizenship status or national origin when verifying an employee’s employment eligibility.”
Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:21 AM

906 posts, read 711,920 times
How come every asian owned business has all asians working for them, with no fines neither?

Personally, i blame hitler.

Wait, what?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 AM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Now it's time for them to go after all those Indians who work in IT and blatantly discriminate against non-Indians. It's long past time for that to happen!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 AM

906 posts, read 711,920 times
Better yet, they should file a suit for being biased towards american workers in america. After all, this is america..everyone is free, not just americans! Thats racist!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:30 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Coincidentally, I am going to visit my favorite Indian buffet restaurant for lunch today.

Yes. A fine seems excessive to me. Just reprimand the restaurant owners and make them reword their ad to say that it's an Indian restaurant that is looking for servers. I know of no non-Indian server who desires to work at an Indian restaurant. And the same goes for other ethnic restaurants.

Actually, my first job as a waitress was at a Japanese restaurant (I am Chinese), however I love Japanese food. This was twenty years ago, and there was a Korean and also two servers that were white. Up in NH, there is a local Chinese restaurant that has white and Mexican servers working there.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
So much for Freedom. This isn't America anymore, thanks to the wacko Leftist nut jobs who have been pushing this kind of insanity for the last several decades.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:54 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Aw, Full Governmental *******ism on full display in the land of nutjobs. NEW YORK CITY?

Who would have thunk that.

Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Good!

I`m sick and tired of "whites need not apply" bull ****.

Waiting tables, something I did for more than twenty years, is still one of the few areas in which discrimination is rampant.

I`ve been told to my face that I wouldn`t be considered for a job because I`m male.

This was at a family restaurant, not a bikini bar, and the manager telling me this was a female.

I was told I wouldn`t be considered for a job at a Chinese Restaurant because I didn`t speak Chinese.

The manager of a nice Italian restaurant told me all the restaurant`s waiters come from Italy and they don`t hire any Americans.

Never mind all the restaurants having no Americans employed anywhere in the establishment that took my resume and filed it in the circular cabinet as soon as I left because I wasn`t one of them.

Boo hoo hoo cry me a frigging river, go find a job somewheres else. Why in the hell shouldn't an Italian,
Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Martian, Saturnian or any other ethnic business be able to hire the people it wants to staff to give its business the atmosphere it wants.

I'll tell you why. IDIOT LIBERALS, that's why they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies