Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,101,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Affirmative Action at work.... Because of the color of one's skin, they are worthless without government...

You should be insulted.
Based upon the color of one's skin(How racist can one get)... Not the character of their being and the merits they bring to the table as an American.....
It seems your response in no way substantiates your opinion. Are you claiming affirmative action creates a victim mentality for blacks? You seem to leave out how study after study it was revealed that white women have benefited the most from affirmative action. There is verifiable data and peer reviewed studies that substantiates this fact. In my home state of California, public colleges and Universities are not allowed to use race a factor for school admissions. So affirmative action isn’t even a factor.

Why don’t conservatives attack white women about affirmative action at the same level as they do black folk? This question is rhetorical and I already know the answer…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 01:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,342,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
It seems your response in no way substantiates your opinion. Are you claiming affirmative action creates a victim mentality for blacks? You seem to leave out how study after study it was revealed that white women have benefited the most from affirmative action. There is verifiable data and peer reviewed studies that substantiates this fact. In my home state of California, public colleges and Universities are not allowed to use race a factor for school admissions. So affirmative action isn’t even a factor.

Why don’t conservatives attack white women about affirmative action at the same level as they do black folk? This question is rhetorical and I already know the answer…

Cannot get more racist than that folks!!!
You made my point.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:40 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,106,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with increasing diversity. But I understand that diversity is a "bad word" to the white supremacist mindset...
I'm not a white supremacist and I hate forced diversity simply by the nature of its application.

If you allow the market to do it's job people will collaborate according to their best interests and everyone prospers with less resentment.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:43 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,101,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Cannot get more racist than that folks!!!
You made my point.
Dude, I didn't make your point and you can't even seem to make your own point. You talk about an entire group of Americans seeing themselves as victims and you use affirmative action as your reason. Affirmative action is not only for blacks and white women have benefited the most from affirmative action. But somehow your type ONLY attacks black folk when you critic affirmative action. Go figure...

Old 08-06-2015, 01:52 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,226,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
That is because Asian-American students rose in enrollment numbers as they were no longer shafted for those with inferior credentials.

That happened because they had/have the best credentials.

As it should be.

Nice try though.
Actually, if you had bothered to look at the material in the links I provided, you'd find that Latinos had the greatest increase in enrollment numbers over time after the elimination of affirmative action at the University of California. Surprisingly, the expected increase in Asian and Asian American enrollment didn't really materialize.

Nice try though.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:04 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
You wrote this:

"I find police or firefighter tests that are skewed against non minorities to be indefensible, but then, I see no need to defend it. And unless you can prove to me that white cops or firefighters are more competent than non white ones (and you couldn't in a million years), I'm certainly not gonna get exercised over the issue."

Admittedly, a rather rambling and slightly incoherent statement, but maybe you were angry or posting very quickly at work.

In any case, you seem to acknowledge the issue and then (as usual) dismiss its relevance while still getting excited enough to comment on it.

So, seeing as you think they are skewed, please explain exactly how. I would appreciate if you would find an actual test and go through it with us and explain why I could answer the question while a black man could not.
There was nothing incoherent about it. You just can't read. And I'm not gonna point it out for you.

You're a hopeless case. Read it again and figure it out.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Actually, if you had bothered to look at the material in the links I provided, you'd find that Latinos had the greatest increase in enrollment numbers over time after the elimination of affirmative action at the University of California. Surprisingly, the expected increase in Asian and Asian American enrollment didn't really materialize.

Nice try though.
Not as I remember it. I watched this on the news as it happened.

None the less, if Latino numbers increased as you claim, then why the need for Affirmative Action?

Besides, most of the blacks who suddenly were not let into Berkeley and UCLA through the back door ended up at Cal State campuses and did just fine.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2015, 03:49 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,226,381 times
Quote:
Not as I remember it. I watched this on the news as it happened.

None the less, if Latino numbers increased as you claim, then why the need for Affirmative Action?
Considering that I worked for UC President Richard C. Atkinson from 1995 to 2003, I was paid to be there as it happened. Here's a link to all of the official statistical data, straight from University of California President's Office, if you want to look at the numbers...
Statistical Summary and Data on UC Students, Faculty, and Staff

Based on the admissions and enrollment data from 1994 to 2014, it appears that the "white students" needed affirmative action at the University of California more than anyone else.

Quote:
Besides, most of the blacks who suddenly were not let into Berkeley and UCLA through the back door ended up at Cal State campuses and did just fine.
I agree. Moreover, plenty of those black folks that didn't get into Berkeley and UCLA through the "back door" did just fine at Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 PM

13,609 posts, read 20,664,651 times
Quote:
I agree. Moreover, plenty of those black folks that didn't get into Berkeley and UCLA through the "back door" did just fine at Stanford, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and Columbia.
I doubt that, but whatever. More likely Long Beach State, Fresno State, etc. Nothing wrong with that.

As for white students getting Affirmative Action, I don't know what the hell you are talking about. AA is not for whites. Hence the existence of this thread.

I think you are making things up, including working for the president.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:35 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,801,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Considering that I worked for UC President Richard C. Atkinson from 1995 to 2003, I was paid to be there as it happened. Here's a link to all of the official statistical data, straight from University of California President's Office, if you want to look at the numbers...
Statistical Summary and Data on UC Students, Faculty, and Staff

Based on the admissions and enrollment data from 1994 to 2014, it appears that the "white students" needed affirmative action at the University of California more than anyone else.
Plenty of sources show that prop 209 drastically lowered Hispanics and black admission and helped Asians and whites as would be expected. Schools and colleges still try to use other ways to increase the enrollment of those who are not white or E. Asian.

Quote:
So what was the impact of Prop 209 on admission rate by race? Whereas prior to Prop 209, admission rate for students regardless of race was a relatively linear, and hovered at a reasonable 75-80%, you can see an immediate stratification of admission rates following Prop 209.

Effect of Prop 209 on UC admission rates by race. Many have cited growth in number of on-campus Asian Americans and Whites following passage of Prop 209 as evidence of the bias of affirmative action against these groups; they forget that this growth is largely explained by increases in population size leading to increases in applicant pool. But, when we look at admission rate, we can see the actual impact of Prop 209 on college admission decisions. Whereas Asian and White admission rates remain largely where they were prior to Prop 209 — and more importantly not significantly increasing — there is a precipitous drop in admission rate for Black, Latino and Native American students that persists for the subsequent 15 years.
To hammer that point home, here is the change in admission rate for all races between 1997 (when affirmative action was in place) and 1998, when Prop 209 took effect.

As you can see, Prop 209 had negligible impacts on White and Asian American admission to the UC system. It had the most dramatic effect — a nearly 10-point drop — in Black, Chicano, and Native American admissions.The effect of Prop 209 has had an even more pronounced impact on UC Berkeley, which is the “crown jewel” of the UC system.

Yes, you are reading this graph right. Prop 209 resulted in a 30% drop in Black, Chicano, and Native American admission rates in a single year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies