Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,359 times

Advertisements

I'm not really sure what to make about this. No, this isn't a parody article:

Charles Koch calls for unity against 'corporate welfare' - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 06:16 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,113,070 times
"When informed by his aide that yesterday was August 1, not April 1, Mr. Koch cursed and walked away."

I am confused, but I am sure that his $2 billion donation to each of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will be forthcoming.

Mick

Old 08-02-2015, 06:18 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I'm not really sure what to make about this. No, this isn't a parody article:

Charles Koch calls for unity against 'corporate welfare' - CNNPolitics.com
Interesting read. I certainly agree with Mr. Koch on some points. For instance, the DFW area has been good at attracting corporate headquarters, but often due to granting the corporation large tax advantages. Heck, we had one company (I can't remember the name) that had announced moving to the area, yet even after they had purchased the land and made the announcement, the local city/county officials offered to forgo real estate taxes for a number of years.

Here is an article about Texas from three years back:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/03/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 08-02-2015, 06:56 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,843 times
Koch Brothers!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:03 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times
Well it's a pretty vague piece, but subsidies and bailouts are always bad, and tax breaks are good for everyone.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
"When informed by his aide that yesterday was August 1, not April 1, Mr. Koch cursed and walked away."

I am confused, but I am sure that his $2 billion donation to each of Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren will be forthcoming.

Mick
Here, let me clear up some of your confusion.

Koch is pro-freedom, pro-free enterprise. Government subsidies and bailouts are anti-freedom, anti-free enterprise.

Specifically, Warren and Sanders helped destroy independent community banks. The heavily subsidized "too big to fail" banks, pimped around endlessly by government regulators and bureaucrats, are the "winners." America is a huge loser. And, yes, I am talking about Dodd-Frank and its Frankenstein offspring.

Specifically, the crony capitalists draining our public funds for alternative energy boondoggles, combined with the idiot notion that we can shut down 20% of our electric generating capacity, is anti-freedom.

When government controls everything, corruption rises because there are huge benefits to owning a piece of government. In a free market, you have to win the votes of people voting with their wallets. This is the irony of those who think the Kochs own the government--Kochs are patriots who want to restore more free-market influence and less government.

And, by the way, the next time you need a gallon of gas to get somewhere, is Nancy Pelosi or Liz Warren or any of the rest of your heroes going to sell it to you? Thank the Koch brothers instead.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,284,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Here, let me clear up some of your confusion.

Koch is pro-freedom, pro-free enterprise. Government subsidies and bailouts are anti-freedom, anti-free enterprise.

Specifically, Warren and Sanders helped destroy independent community banks. The heavily subsidized "too big to fail" banks, pimped around endlessly by government regulators and bureaucrats, are the "winners." America is a huge loser. And, yes, I am talking about Dodd-Frank and its Frankenstein offspring.

Specifically, the crony capitalists draining our public funds for alternative energy boondoggles, combined with the idiot notion that we can shut down 20% of our electric generating capacity, is anti-freedom.

When government controls everything, corruption rises because there are huge benefits to owning a piece of government. In a free market, you have to win the votes of people voting with their wallets. This is the irony of those who think the Kochs own the government--Kochs are patriots who want to restore more free-market influence and less government.

And, by the way, the next time you need a gallon of gas to get somewhere, is Nancy Pelosi or Liz Warren or any of the rest of your heroes going to sell it to you? Thank the Koch brothers instead.
And notice the feeble minded who ALWAYS want to talk bad about the Koch bros., who were 59th I believe in donations, and never seem to get around to talking about ANY of the big dem donors, who are much higher on the list.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:56 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,365,407 times
I wish we could hear David similarly coming down on Citizens' United.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,622,760 times
Maybe he should rail against anonymously funded front groups...oh wait.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:04 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,210,275 times
Maybe his employees would be better off, if the Billions that are made on their productivity went into their pockets, instead of funding for shadow non-profits controlled by the Koch Brothers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies