Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:08 AM

905 posts, read 790,809 times

Advertisements

Consider yourself lucky it wasn't worse, like this: ABC7 Exclusive: Woman allegedly attacked by group near U of C campus with kids in car | abc7chicago.com

It's sometimes called "mean mugging" and it's been around for decades, I can remember experiencing it on the city bus riding through bad 'hoods on the way to high school back in the 80's.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:15 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
I think sometimes you just know when someone doesn't want you there. We went roller skating at our usual place and we were the minority that night. We did receive some of those "looks." I've experienced it on one of the smaller islands in the Turks and Caicos as well, and no I wasn't being paranoid. We heard the comments like "This is our island." I couldn't wait to leave. You can have your cesspool island with dirty needles on the beach, horse dong every where and used condoms in town.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:40 AM

22,162 posts, read 19,213,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Has anybody else noticed or felt the hatred in real life aside from the internet?
yes i have lived in an area where i was actively hated and had my life threatened and i was fired from my job and so i moved (i too fall into the category of little old lady)

and i am intentionally not stating any ethnicities, it is not relevant

all we can do is not hate, all we can do is continue to radiate kindness and peace, that is the most powerful antidote there is. we don't dispell darkness by beating it with a stick or piling on more darkness, we dispell darkness by turning on a light. what we focus on, we become. So focus on kindness. the world is filled with goodness and kindness.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Obama has destroyed all of the racial progress made since the 60s. I too have noticed more racial tension than ever.
It's not Obama. It's the race-baiting, hate-mongering media. They are truly the scum of the earth. What motivates young people to enter that "profession" is beyond me. Unless, of course, it is the opportunity to lie, misquote, sensationalize, and trumpet the very worst impulses of the human spirit...

Old 08-02-2015, 11:59 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Why Obama and not Fergusson police chief?
Probably because Michael Brown was a criminal who got shot while assaulting a police officer and without Obama's meddling this incident would not have turned into a massive media campaign ? And after throwing the officer under a bus by disclosing his name, and sending a whole DOJ fishing expedition to Ferguson, they left empty handed because there was nothing to find ?

Probably because the administration and media are so sloppy and incompetent they can't pick one good fight - and I am sure they could find a case where a black person was indeed wrongfully arrested or killed - and instead make themselves look like pathetic morons time and time again ? Like when they didn't realize the guy named Zimmerman was Hispanic and yet again didn't bother to check the facts ?

Old 08-02-2015, 12:43 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I think the biggest mistake the OP did was to keep staring at the guy as he crossed the street.

Classic mad dogging.

It's just like with some animals, if you stare at them, it's a direct challenge and potential threat to them (not saying this as an insulting thing, but as a legitimate comparison).

OP should have deferred and looked away.

OP in fact challenged the OP even though she was not aware of it.

Remember folks, no mad dogging or staring at strangers especially in hood areas.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:54 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Probably because Michael Brown was a criminal who got shot while assaulting a police officer and without Obama's meddling this incident would not have turned into a massive media campaign ? And after throwing the officer under a bus by disclosing his name, and sending a whole DOJ fishing expedition to Ferguson, they left empty handed because there was nothing to find ?

Probably because the administration and media are so sloppy and incompetent they can't pick one good fight - and I am sure they could find a case where a black person was indeed wrongfully arrested or killed - and instead make themselves look like pathetic morons time and time again ? Like when they didn't realize the guy named Zimmerman was Hispanic and yet again didn't bother to check the facts ?
Again, Mr President does not decide what those news channels say or don't say, nor establish whose identity is revealed or not. Besides, Michael Brown did not have any gun and it is still questionable if shooting him (or many others) were really justified. A good cop could've use a taser to get compliance from him.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:55 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
...And after throwing the officer under a bus by disclosing his name...
So they're sort of like secret police? Their names are never to be made public?

Hmmmm. Now that is scary in terms of accountability. Citizens names are released and published on websites by the police, but the police remain in deep secret.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM

22,470 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Has anybody else noticed or felt the hatred in real life aside from the internet?
I have experienced this but it wasn't coming from a black person. In my case, it came from Hispanics.

Ironically enough, I'm half Hispanic. However, most people look at me and assume that I'm either Italian or Greek. I've been in situations where I've walked into a place where everybody is Hispanic and have experienced such looks of hate so intense that I feel it penetrating into my soul.

The first time I experienced this was when my family lived in Puerto Rico. As a teen, this was eye-opening for me. All that said, I have met and dealt with many Puerto Rican people who are warm, welcoming and friendly so I would never paint them all with the same brush. In fact, my own Puerto Rican relatives have always been very loving and accepting towards me and my siblings.

To compound things, back in the 70s, there was lots of anti-English sentiment on the Island. I would say something in Spanish and got identified as a non-native speaker and was given that look of hatred.

My husband says I know enough Spanish to be dangerous. Hispanic people will hold conversations in Spanish in front of me and they are shocked when they say something and the look on my face lets them know that I understood them.

Yet, one of my siblings is dark complected and he can walk in the barrios and never get such looks. In fact, Hispanics approach him and start speaking to him in Spanish.

The takeaway from all this --- there are racist and bigoted people in every group, just as there are decent people in every group.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So they're sort of like secret police? Their names are never to be made public?

Hmmmm. Now that is scary in terms of accountability. Citizens names are released and published on websites by the police, but the police remain in deep secret.
Disclosing the officer's name before an official investigation has been concluded and after multiple murder threats were voiced doesn't seem like an accountability measure. It's one thing if he's been charged, it's another when there are people calling for his blood and there's no reason to even charge him with a crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies