Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:21 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But are these Chicago residents? Or tourists, or people who live out in suburbs who don't pay attention to where they're going and don't venture in too often to Chicago? That I can see happening.

The OP seems to a be long time Chicago resident.

I'm just wondering how one lives in a major city and ends up in bad area without knowing it?

Long time residents. If you live clear on the other end of the city and have cause to go to a place you're unfamiliar with, it can happen. There are pockets within the city you need to stay away from, but you may have to go somewhere pretty darn close. And with all the construction, you may be rerouted and get lost. It can happen. Not everyone has a GPS system.

It would be so much easier if the deal was, "The bad neighborhoods start at X and Y Streets and run SW from there", but that's not the reality in Chicago.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Here's an example. There's an expensive, private (Catholic) high school located in Chicago that draws people from all over the city. Mayor Daley's kids went there. Four miles away, an eight minute car ride, were where the projects were. It wouldn't take much for a parent to get lost on a day they were driving their kid to school, since they live 45 minutes northwest of the area and don't frequent the neighborhood.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,246,623 times
People are pretty quick to discount this woman's story, but I believe her and have had the same experience. A couple of years ago I was sitting at an outdoor table at a Starbucks in a strip mall waiting for a friend. A car drove by and I looked up to see if it was my ride. An older black guy was driving and our eyes met for no more than 2 seconds.
I thought nothing of it until I saw he had circled around and passed again very slowly, head turned 90 degees to the side window, his eyes locked on me and an expression of pure hatred that I remember to this day. As he passed he spit out the window forcefully while he stared me down. It was so over the top I laughed, but at the same time it was a little scary and I have no doubt whatsoever that it was black rage that a white person dared to offend him by looking up while he drove by.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:22 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southking500 View Post
People are pretty quick to discount this woman's story, but I believe her and have had the same experience. A couple of years ago I was sitting at an outdoor table at a Starbucks in a strip mall waiting for a friend. A car drove by and I looked up to see if it was my ride. An older black guy was driving and our eyes met for no more than 2 seconds.
I thought nothing of it until I saw he had circled around and passed again very slowly, head turned 90 degees to the side window, his eyes locked on me and an expression of pure hatred that I remember to this day. As he passed he spit out the window forcefully while he stared me down. It was so over the top I laughed, but at the same time it was a little scary and I have no doubt whatsoever that it was black rage that a white person dared to offend him by looking up while he drove by.
And sitting right behind you, but out of your sight, his old high school nemesis!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 712,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
And sitting right behind you, but out of your sight, his old high school nemesis!
should we assume he went to HS?

Old 08-02-2015, 08:37 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I always make it a point stopped at intersections or wherever in traffic, to NEVER look at anyone directly.

That includes people in cars stopped to my right and to my left, or pedestrians crossing in front of me.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Living and driving in Chicago, I am very careful to avoid bad neighborhoods where shootings are reported but sometimes you end up in one and just have to drive through.

So anyway, I was stuck at a red light and did my usual which is to leave a good distance between the car in front in case of rear ending. Well, this young black man decided to cross the street and walked in that space. I glanced at him when he first walked in front of my car and he looked at this old white lady with the most intense hatred I have ever seen on a person's face. From the moment he stepped in front of my car until he had to go into the next lane of traffic, he stared at me with that look. I just couldn't take my eyes off of him and was literally dumbfounded.

It was honestly terrible and I have never experienced a look like that from anyone in my 70 yrs on this earth.

My first thought was, the race baiters are winning, they have succeeded and will not be happy until every one hates each other.

This happened weeks ago and I still get chills when I remember it. Has anybody else noticed or felt the hatred in real life aside from the internet?
Too bad your foot didn't slip off the brake

Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Granny, I'm sure you have the purist of hearts, without even an ounce of negativity for anyone--not even for the "race baiters"...

Even with that, it's possible this black man saw something negative in your own expression.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:10 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
I wouldn't take it personal. It could have been many reasons for that stare. Your mistake was staring back at this guy because he could have been off his meds or something. I don't like to make eye contact with people when it looks like they are staring (unless they want to pick you up or maybe he thought you left too much space and he wanted to cross behind you). You just never know though.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Living and driving in Chicago, I am very careful to avoid bad neighborhoods where shootings are reported but sometimes you end up in one and just have to drive through.

So anyway, I was stuck at a red light and did my usual which is to leave a good distance between the car in front in case of rear ending. Well, this young black man decided to cross the street and walked in that space. I glanced at him when he first walked in front of my car and he looked at this old white lady with the most intense hatred I have ever seen on a person's face. From the moment he stepped in front of my car until he had to go into the next lane of traffic, he stared at me with that look. I just couldn't take my eyes off of him and was literally dumbfounded.

It was honestly terrible and I have never experienced a look like that from anyone in my 70 yrs on this earth.

My first thought was, the race baiters are winning, they have succeeded and will not be happy until every one hates each other.

This happened weeks ago and I still get chills when I remember it. Has anybody else noticed or felt the hatred in real life aside from the internet?
can you be certain he didn't just step in some dog crap?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies