Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM

624 posts, read 379,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well thanks for your personal opinion....though it isn't factually correct, a fetus is a fetus, even if a woman is expecting to give birth to it.

What does this have to do with fishermen? Oh, because it says so in the title? No, the OP intended this thread to really be about abortions and Planned Parenthood, and not about any fishermen.
This thread title is misleading.

But heck, why should be worry about the right of Boko Haram to kill who they want?

As for the fetus... the fetus is alive. So it doesn't matter what you call him/her. It just makes it easier to kill if you dehumanize him/her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post

But heck, why should be worry about the right of Boko Haram to kill who they want?

As for the fetus... the fetus is alive. So it doesn't matter what you call him/her. It just makes it easier to kill if you dehumanize him/her.
So should the US government invade more countries to stop Boko Haram?

And you said a fetus is alive at the 8-9week point, most abortions happen before that, so in reality you are just talking about the minority of abortions killing what you call a baby or kid or whatever.

Would it make you feel better if you knew the woman first named the fetus before having an abortion? Though that would be you making a stereotype thinking that a woman doesn't do that before having an abortion. It also is a stereotype from you to think that women are calling it a fetus (even though that IS the technical term) to dehumanize it to justify having an abortion.

So good job with those stereotypes. For any woman who has an abortion, that decision is never easy and it is one they have to live with all of their life, and not you or the government should be making that decision for a woman. I say it is best to worry about your own body rather than the bodies of others.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:40 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
You're missing the point.

I don't want to intervene in a woman's life. But is there any other way to save the life of the baby without doing so?

It's not a pregnancy that people are trying to save. It's the life of a person.

Again... in order for you to understand we have to put it in a situation where you have agreed you define life. A birthed child.

If a person has a child that is already a day old, and wants to terminate the child, would you feel a moral obligation to try to stop it. How about if your tax dollars were being used to do it?

Would your act of trying to save that baby's life be because you are trying to get in someone else's business? Would that be your motivation?

What if those people said, "It's none of your business if I want to kill my child."?
you might not want to intervene in her life but that is exactly what you would be doing by getting in a woman's private affairs that you don't even know on the pretext of saving a life. there is no justification for you to do so. how are you even gonna know if she is pregnant or not? would you appreciate me or anyone else telling you how to run your life? oh yeah that's right you don't answer questions do you?

get off your moral high horse, it is not a person till it's born. don't like abortion, think it is a person then save your own damn pregnancy and leave women alone to figure out their own lives.

we already have laws about harming a child that is born. quit beating a dead horse the comparison is not accurate at all.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM

[quote=Winning Guy;40681809]This thread title is misleading.

As for the fetus... the fetus is alive. So it doesn't matter what you call him/her. It just makes it easier to kill if you dehumanize him/her.[/QUOTE]

women are not stupid we know what abortion is. we can call it whatever we want or what ever you want, we still have the right to choice. we know what abortion is and still women make that choice.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So should the US government invade more countries to stop Boko Haram?
That's another argument all together.

But should we be outraged at the loss of life. Absolutely.

Quote:
And you said a fetus is alive at the 8-9week point, most abortions happen before that, so in reality you are just talking about the minority of abortions killing what you call a baby or kid or whatever.
Hooray?

There's also a bunch of people killed in Africa all the time. Only a small percentage are killed by Boko Haram due to religious persecution. Let's celebrate!

Quote:
Would it make you feel better if you knew the woman first named the fetus before having an abortion? Though that would be you making a stereotype thinking that a woman doesn't do that before having an abortion. It also is a stereotype from you to think that women are calling it a fetus (even though that IS the technical term) to dehumanize it to justify having an abortion.
Is it a stereotype, or a tactic? I'm commenting on language, and how it impacts the debate.

I don't believe that expectant mothers are sitting there trying to figure out ways to dehumanize their babies. I was referring to this political discussion.

Language does have an effect on how we perceive things. When politics causes us to use language that is less human, then it's easier to push an agenda of killing.

Quote:
So good job with those stereotypes. For any woman who has an abortion, that decision is never easy and it is one they have to live with all of their life, and not you or the government should be making that decision for a woman. I say it is best to worry about your own body rather than the bodies of others.
I'm not worried about the woman's body. I am worried about the child that is getting their future taken away from them because their life is judged as not worthy enough to continue.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM

[quote=hothulamaui;40681958]
Quote:

As for the fetus... the fetus is alive. So it doesn't matter what you call him/her. It just makes it easier to kill if you dehumanize him/her.[/QUOTE]

women are not stupid we know what abortion is. we can call it whatever we want or what ever you want, we still have the right to choice. we know what abortion is and still women make that choice.
To be clear, you know it's taking a life.

You are making a choice to take a life because it has not reached a point where you think it has any value yet.

Is that correct?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:56 PM

[quote=Winning Guy;40682065]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post

To be clear, you know it's taking a life.

You are making a choice to take a life because it has not reached a point where you think it has any value yet.

Is that correct?
women know what abortion is, I am a woman. it is potential life until it is born. people have abortions for all kinds of reasons not because "it has not reached a point where we think it has value"

Old 08-03-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
you might not want to intervene in her life but that is exactly what you would be doing by getting in a woman's private affairs that you don't even know on the pretext of saving a life. there is no justification for you to do so. how are you even gonna know if she is pregnant or not? would you appreciate me or anyone else telling you how to run your life? oh yeah that's right you don't answer questions do you?
If I had a child that I intended to kill, and there was no law to stop me, is it just my own private affair in your opinion?

If the law would not stop me from killing my 2 yr old child (as it was in ancient times), does that mean it's okay? Was it fine that they used to do that? Or was it wrong?

Quote:
get off your moral high horse, it is not a person till it's born. don't like abortion, think it is a person then save your own damn pregnancy and leave women alone to figure out their own lives.
I can't get off my moral high horse. I don't even see it as a high horse. They are just morals, plain and simple.

And if Planned Parenthood stops taking tax money, then they can continue their reprehensible behavior because it's perfectly legal.

But as long as their existence is partially due to my money, then I have the right to object to what they are doing.

Quote:
we already have laws about harming a child that is born. quit beating a dead horse the comparison is not accurate at all.
Is the law the only thing that makes something right or wrong? If there was no law, is everything action moral?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM

[quote=hothulamaui;40682103]
Quote:

women know what abortion is, I am a woman. it is potential life until it is born. people have abortions for all kinds of reasons not because "it has not reached a point where we think it has value"
What is the difference between a fetus and a baby that is born?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
That's another argument all together.

But should we be outraged at the loss of life. Absolutely.

Hooray?

There's also a bunch of people killed in Africa all the time. Only a small percentage are killed by Boko Haram due to religious persecution. Let's celebrate!
Sure, I agree with that. It is definitely something to be outraged over. A lot of senseless killing does happen on that continent.

Quote:
Is it a stereotype, or a tactic? I'm commenting on language, and how it impacts the debate.

I don't believe that expectant mothers are sitting there trying to figure out ways to dehumanize their babies. I was referring to this political discussion.

Language does have an effect on how we perceive things. When politics causes us to use language that is less human, then it's easier to push an agenda of killing.

I'm not worried about the woman's body. I am worried about the child that is getting their future taken away from them because their life is judged as not worthy enough to continue.
Ah, so it was a political tactic for you to try and say women are calling it a fetus to dehumanize what it is....

And no, you aren't worried about any child's future, you couldn't care less what happens to that child the moment it is born or the struggles that will force the woman to have to deal with. All you care about is denying a woman the right to choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies