Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:25 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Like welfare, military spending is a symptom of a corrupt government, neither are the cause (i.e. the welfare cheat and the military contractor aren't the problem, the government who steals our money and doles it out to them is)
Strip the money and control from it and these issues take care of themselves.
Watch the fictional movie "The Purge" and really think about what consequences that would have.....

Don't think that it would not eventually invade your own little bubble. The real goal and subsequent consequences of welfare is reduction of crime. People WILL steal, assault and even kill to eat. So would you if needed. We all would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 06:43 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Watch the fictional movie "The Purge" and really think about what consequences that would have.....

Don't think that it would not eventually invade your own little bubble. The real goal and subsequent consequences of welfare is reduction of crime. People WILL steal, assault and even kill to eat. So would you if needed. We all would.
I always rely on Hollywood for an accurate portrayal of what might be

Two irrefutable facts; the US runs the largest welfare schemes in the history of the world and the U.S. has the largest prison population in the history of the world.
Please explain how welfare reduces crime?

Oh this ignores the fact that welfare is a crime in and of itself -Peters money is robbed (taxed) from him and given to Paul.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:49 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

The biggest flaw in your argument is that poor people are big part of the voting base. They're not. It's mainly the most educated and most liberal who vote Democratic. (Eg, Harvard PhDs, artists, teachers, etc)
Obama led Romney in the "less than $50K" income categories by 60-38%. Of course, $50K is not low income, but . . . Also, Romney slightly led in the college graduate category, though Obama led signficantly in the graduate school demo.

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 06:52 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Having been raised back in the 70's by a single Mom who received assistance and myself who used grants and loans to go to college. I believe that those programs are valuable and there is a need to continue them.

As a child does grow, as long as the public education is sound, the better result will show and without question I for one believe the results are there.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Having been raised back in the 70's by a single Mom who received assistance and myself who used grants and loans to go to college. I believe that those programs are valuable and there is a need to continue them.

As a child does grow, as long as the public education is sound, the better result will show and without question I for one believe the results are there.
Yeah you grew up encouraging others to partake in the plunder. By your own words you are the very product of a welfare state.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah you grew up encouraging others to partake in the plunder. By your own words you are the very product of a welfare state.
Are you serious? He said his mother used assistance and loans to help him graduate from college. He is now a law-abiding, tax-paying citizen. Isn't that what we all want? Or do you become a permanent villain if your mother accepts public assistance while you were growing up? WTF.

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
Absolutely.

Studies and polls reveal that there's a direct correlation between income and dependence on govt assistance and voting patterns. Those who are poorer and more dependent on various programs are much more likely to vote Democrat, and as income rises and use of govt aid are reduced, people become increasingly likely to vote Republican.

Democrats have been waging a war against poverty for 50 years and it hasn't budged the needle. Its either a failure or working correctly, as an illusion that Democrats want to help people become self-reliant and successful through programs that aren't pulling people out of poverty. So yes, I think the Democrats try to keep people poor and dependent on the government, since the poorer you are the more likely you will put Democrats in office. It hurts the party when they start earning more, become less reliant on aid and become more likely to vote Republican.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:

Stealing to eat in America is a fairy tale.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
The entire Democratic platform is to destroy private industry, wealth, and profit.

The end goal is getting them on government dependency to control them.

The Democrats love the poor so much they will do anything to make more of them and keep them that way.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:48 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is an overwhelming support for Democrats among people who receive food stamps, unemployment compensation, government disability, public housing, medicaid and welfare/public assistance.

Public Housing: 81% Dem vs 12% Rep
Medicaid: 74% Dem vs 16% Rep
Food Stamps: 67% Dem vs 20% Rep
Unemployment Comp: 66% Dem vs 21% Rep
Disability: 64% Dem vs 25% Rep
Welfare/Public Assistance: 63% Dem vs 22% Rep

This begs to question...

1) Do Democrats really want to get people off government programs?
2) Would it hurt them as a party if we saw 50% less people relying on these government programs?
3) Do Democrats want to create new programs to potentially expand and lock-in their base?

I view it similar to how Apple retains its customers, such as iTunes. You start buying your music from iTunes and it's only compatible with Apple products. If you were to change to say Samsung, you would have to go through a lot of work converting your songs and lose quality as a result from converting these files. I myself at one point was considering trying out Samsung, but decided against it because I was already so engraved into Apple. The more programs Democrats create, the more people who will end up relying on these programs, thus making them more likely to vote for the party who created and supports these programs. This is just my thinking anyways.

--------
DISCLAIMER: I've voted for Obama both elections and haven't regretted my choices. I even have a "I am a proud Obama voter" sticker on my fridge (it was sent to me for free, but I still put it up nonetheless). However, I am perfectly fine with being critical about the party I voted for. I consider myself someone who is near the center because I like ideas from both parties and also hate ideas from both parties. I tend to annoy a lot of hardcore Democrats and hardcore Republicans, but most people around the middle seem to agree with me or at least are fine with me when discussing politics. When it comes to social issues such as abortion, same-sex marriage, stem cells etc I side with liberals, when it comes fiscal issues such as tax policy, spending, government programs etc I side with conservatives. And then there are some issues where I'm mixed such as the second amendment. I support having universal background checks, but I also support being able to conceal carry for those who qualify. I support funding the military, but I don't want to preemptively police the world. Anyways, that's enough disclaimer lol. My point I'm trying to get across is I'm not attacking Democrats here, this is just a real concern I have about the party.
Of course they do- See "The Curly Principle". Dems and liberals seek to increase the size of thier constituency by creating policy that creates more poor people, and thus voters.

Witness what liberal policy has created:

NAFTA
China trade policy
EPA regulations which kill jobs and industry
higher taxes to kill jobs
destruction of the family through Lyndon Johnson's "Great Society"
unchecked illegal immigration, driving down US wages
perpetation of generational welfare

Libs and dems impoverish the nation and thus create more libs and dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies